E-cigs

ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
edited July 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
There was only a really old thread that I could find on this. So I thought some more people might have given them a go since then.

I've been using them for about 6 weeks now, I still have the odd normal cigarette, but I'm pretty much digital now.

I'm finding it expensive, a pain when I run out of battery and although I enjoy it, it's quite the same. I'm going to stick with it, because it's healthier ......

Ok bring on the slagging off ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Almost bought one yesterday

changed my mind
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I am not trying to dissuade you from using them, since smoking is much worse in the long run I'm sure, and if these things help you break the habit best, then it's probably in your best interests to continue using them for now. However, I happened to see this article recently, and I guess anyone who is using e-cigs should be aware of the possible health risks, even though studies are small and more needs to be examined:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/249784.php
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Thanks for that, it was a really interesting read.

It's still less harmful than smoking tobacco, which is good and my reason for doing it. I enjoy the act of smoking, but just don't want as many of the negatives.
    Claireack wrote:
    Thanks for that, it was a really interesting read.

It's still less harmful than smoking tobacco, which is good and my reason for doing it. I enjoy the act of smoking, but just don't want as many of the negatives.
    Yeah, there is no way they're any where near as bad as cigarettes.... I've tried the e-cig and found that I couldn't really get anything out of it (well, not enough to make me want to keep smoking it, anyway). I couldn't really taste much or feel anything being inhaled, and really had to haul on it to feel like anything was coming out of it. So I'm going to stick to cigarettes for now. :roll: Maybe they'll improve the technology soon so that it's a better option for me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    The first ones I tried weren't strong enough, so I had to up to 'Bold', that improved them. I rolled my own, so I think I needed a bit more of a kick.

Anyhoo, just wish they were cheaper.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    the blue e-cig disposables are ok but very expensive
    the cartridge/battery/case set up that i had to order - not as good
    too heavy
    and you have to suck too hard
    (tee-hee suck too hard)
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
    Maybe you're not sucking right? ;)
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I tried them, just not the same. I might as well wear the patch. the paths of habit that form in the mind are not easily broken or changed.

I have been working on it for years and am down to 10 or less a day. 3 on a good day or 5 most days during the week. just started eliminating them out of my routine, one at a time so now the last ones to get over are my last few of the day.

moderation is a key to keeping a balance. people believe too strongly that the habit cannot be broken, yet people quit everyday.

we hold the hand that holds us down..
    js

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I am not trying to dissuade you from using them, since smoking is much worse in the long run I'm sure, and if these things help you break the habit best, then it's probably in your best interests to continue using them for now. However, I happened to see this article recently, and I guess anyone who is using e-cigs should be aware of the possible health risks, even though studies are small and more needs to be examined:

While it's nice to hear the dangers and I certainly don't want to dissaude you from posting articles that could help / inform ... if I am reading this correctly, this could be the flimsiest "research" ever conducted.

They conducted this on 32 people over the course of 10 minutes.

Sounds more like a lab experiment in my 10th grade biology class than "research".
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

While it's nice to hear the dangers and I certainly don't want to dissaude you from posting articles that could help / inform ... if I am reading this correctly, this could be the flimsiest "research" ever conducted.

They conducted this on 32 people over the course of 10 minutes.

Sounds more like a lab experiment in my 10th grade biology class than "research".
    Yeah, well that's why I mentioned that the studies were small and it needs to be researched more. It's definitely important for anyone using a product to know about all of the research that is going on with that product though so that their decisions are informed (if someone is too dumb to take the strength or consistency of the research into account, that is their problem IMO - I posted that assuming most people around here are indeed smart enough to take that factor into account ;) ).
    nicotine is poison in any form.

but hey, the FDA approves it right?

there are just too many variables to say it's worse for some and not as bad for others. that's why the moderation is good, cuz you never know where you will fall.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    amethgr8 wrote:
    nicotine is poison in any form.

but hey, the FDA approves it right?

there are just too many variables to say it's worse for some and not as bad for others. that's why the moderation is good, cuz you never know where you will fall.

amy
    They have nicotine in them? I've never seen or tried one with nicotine in it.... I know there are certain inhaler thingies that do, but I don't think that's the same as e-cigs, is it? Not for the ones I see on sale in the beer and wine stores, anyway.
    edited July 2013
    yes, I pretty certain the e-cigs have nicotine in them.

standing corrected:

Wikipeidia :"Liquid for producing vapour in electronic cigarettes, known as e-juice or e-liquid, is a solution of propylene glycol (PG) and/or vegetable glycerin (VG) and/or polyethylene glycol 400 (PEG400) mixed with concentrated flavors, and optionally, a variable percentage of a liquid nicotine concentrate.

The solution is often sold in a bottle or in disposable cartridges. Many manufacturers offer dozens of flavors which resemble the taste of regular tobacco, menthol, vanilla, coffee, cola and various fruits, but nicotine concentrations vary by manufacturer. The standard notation "mg/ml" is often used in labelling, sometimes shortened to a simple "mg" (milligram).[17] Nicotine-free solutions are also common."

I'm not sure that the propylene glycol or VG is any healthier to vaprorize in your lungs.

amy
    Post edited by amethgr8 on
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    amethgr8 wrote:
    Not the ones I've smoked. Definitely not. I'm sure they exist, but they aren't widely available where I am (I've never seen one). Anyone I know uses them just to make them feel like they're smoking, not for a nicotine fix.
    they contain other chemicals?

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    amethgr8 wrote:
    they contain other chemicals?

amy
    I think it's namely artificial flavouring and water vapour....
    again, from Wikipedia:

"US Food and Drug Administration[edit]

In May 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis tested 19 varieties of electronic cigarette cartridges produced by two vendors NJOY and Smoking Everywhere.[25] Diethylene glycol, a poisonous and hygroscopic liquid, was detected in one of the cartridges manufactured by Smoking Everywhere .[25] Tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), known cancer-causing agents, were detected in all of the cartridges from one brand and two of the cartridges from the other brand[clarification needed]. Nicotine can also be traced in some claimed nicotine-free cartridges.[25] Further concerns were raised over inconsistent amounts of nicotine delivered when drawing on the device.[26] In some e-cigarettes, "Tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans—anabasine, myosmine, and β-nicotyrine—were detected in a majority of the samples tested." None of these chemicals, however, were detectable in exhaled vapour. [27][28]"

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    Claireack wrote:
    You didn't try it?

No.

I've been tempted... I want something to puff on as I cook eggs in the morning. :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    amethgr8 wrote:
    Not the ones I've smoked. Definitely not. I'm sure they exist, but they aren't widely available where I am (I've never seen one). Anyone I know uses them just to make them feel like they're smoking, not for a nicotine fix.

The fuck?

E-cigs definitely contain nicotine out here...

I don't think I've seen one that doesn't contain nicotine... apparently they exist. Kind of seems pointless to me.