Options

My friend who is a screenwriter has writen a review of the DC show 6/22/08

Chief BromdenChief Bromden Posts: 35
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
My beloved parents, from day one, tried to instill a sense of religion, directing me toward their valley of security, permeating from inside out. Weeks, months, and years went by, and I simply couldn’t get ‘it’. Whatever ‘it’ was, whatever ‘it’ is – my parents had ‘it’ and I couldn’t even begin to find ‘it’. And after continual attempts, I simply didn’t want ‘it’.

‘It’ seemed to be mere words, enunciated through speech, through lecture. Were we being told how to think? How to feel? For some, that works – and God Bless them. For me.. well….

But, the glory and irony of life is, ‘it’ finds you when you are not looking for ‘it’.

‘It’ continued last night, in the Verizon Center, for a select family of several thousand, who were able to witness & experience five men translate words into something deeper, a resonance. And if you're lucky, ‘It’ becomes you and ‘it’ permeates.

When the band played, and touched us, and spoke to us, and uplifted us, I took a moment to disconnect myself from the emotion for one minute, to really appreciate those men who were on the stage.

When perhaps the greatest rendition of ‘Black’ was being performed, followed by an equally stirring ‘Rearview Mirror’ – I watched each of the members. I thought about the thousands of shows they have performed, how many times these guys have played this song before, and what runs through the minds and hearts of such priceless performers.

I thought about all the cities they played, all the sacrifice, and all the experiences that funnel into each word, each chord of this song, of this rejoicing– and therein lies their magic, their spirit, and our innate connection. “IT!’

The key to performing on Broadway is knowing that the actor may be performing the same role for the 100th time, but it's probably that audience member’s first time to see it – so you play the show like it is your best.

Well – Pearl Jam is more than that. When I watched them, individually, collectively – they didn’t play for us – they shared with us – always giving. And what they give is a cathartic experience that revolves around ‘it.’ ‘It’ is magical, mystical – and now I understand my parents – because you cannot be taught ‘it’, you have to embrace ‘it’ – through experience, through the trials, tribulations of our time, of our world and … through one fucking great Pearl Jam show.

I always wonder what parts of what shows they remember. Can they possibly remember each one? Because I will always do more than remember the moments – I will close my eyes, think of a song, this concert, and allow the inspiration of that moment to settle within my soul. And that’s ‘it’.

So, for anyone who wants to know where I was on June 22, 2008 – I experienced ‘it’, I could feel ‘it’… simply 'I got Id' with a few guys from Seattle who brought on a legend from San Diego. Thank you! Til next time we meet.

By Shawn S.

This was something my friend wrote about the show and he wanted me to share it with you guys on the pit
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    My beloved parents, from day one, tried to instill a sense of religion, directing me toward their valley of security, permeating from inside out. Weeks, months, and years went by, and I simply couldn’t get ‘it’. Whatever ‘it’ was, whatever ‘it’ is – my parents had ‘it’ and I couldn’t even begin to find ‘it’. And after continual attempts, I simply didn’t want ‘it’.

‘It’ seemed to be mere words, enunciated through speech, through lecture. Were we being told how to think? How to feel? For some, that works – and God Bless them. For me.. well….

But, the glory and irony of life is, ‘it’ finds you when you are not looking for ‘it’.

‘It’ continued last night, in the Verizon Center, for a select family of several thousand, who were able to witness & experience five men translate words into something deeper, a resonance. And if you're lucky, ‘It’ becomes you and ‘it’ permeates.

When the band played, and touched us, and spoke to us, and uplifted us, I took a moment to disconnect myself from the emotion for one minute, to really appreciate those men who were on the stage.

When perhaps the greatest rendition of ‘Black’ was being performed, followed by an equally stirring ‘Rearview Mirror’ – I watched each of the members. I thought about the thousands of shows they have performed, how many times these guys have played this song before, and what runs through the minds and hearts of such priceless performers.

I thought about all the cities they played, all the sacrifice, and all the experiences that funnel into each word, each chord of this song, of this rejoicing– and therein lies their magic, their spirit, and our innate connection. “IT!’

The key to performing on Broadway is knowing that the actor may be performing the same role for the 100th time, but it's probably that audience member’s first time to see it – so you play the show like it is your best.

Well – Pearl Jam is more than that. When I watched them, individually, collectively – they didn’t play for us – they shared with us – always giving. And what they give is a cathartic experience that revolves around ‘it.’ ‘It’ is magical, mystical – and now I understand my parents – because you cannot be taught ‘it’, you have to embrace ‘it’ – through experience, through the trials, tribulations of our time, of our world and … through one fucking great Pearl Jam show.

I always wonder what parts of what shows they remember. Can they possibly remember each one? Because I will always do more than remember the moments – I will close my eyes, think of a song, this concert, and allow the inspiration of that moment to settle within my soul. And that’s ‘it’.

So, for anyone who wants to know where I was on June 22, 2008 – I experienced ‘it’, I could feel ‘it’… simply 'I got Id' with a few guys from Seattle who brought on a legend from San Diego. Thank you! Til next time we meet.

By Shawn S.

This was something my friend wrote about the show and he wanted me to share it with you guys on the pit

somebody get this guy bootlegs of the greatest performances of Black STAT so he knows what the hell he's talking about!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Your friend is in the right line of work!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    I think he did a better job than the guy who actually works for the post and wrote the song by song review.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    not too bad. he gets a bit heavy on the "it" thing. i understood it early on. its a great idea. but then he spends the rest of the article, in a sense, saying "look at my great idea, look at my great idea" and thus it loses some punch. the concept doesn't need to be revisited so much (IMO). throw it in there at the beginning and then come back to it at the end.
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    beautiful....

and i understand it, i feel it and i get it.

NICE!
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    not too bad. he gets a bit heavy on the "it" thing. i understood it early on. its a great idea. but then he spends the rest of the article, in a sense, saying "look at my great idea, look at my great idea" and thus it loses some punch. the concept doesn't need to be revisited so much (IMO). throw it in there at the beginning and then come back to it at the end.

Agreed. Plus, he stole my whole "it" schtick from the Fanviews thread that I posted at 2am after the show.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5584335&postcount=52
  • Options
    Agreed. Plus, he stole my whole "it" schtick from the Fanviews thread that I posted at 2am after the show.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5584335&postcount=52

He wrote this right after the show...I was with him. He has never actually been to the pit, doubt he stole your idea....he is a professional.
  • Options
    indeedindeed Posts: 30
    i felt "it", only I was at the MSG I show.
    V.F.C St. Louis 10/04 * Philly 10/05 * Camden I & II 05/06 * DC 05/06 * Lollapalooza 08/07 * MSG I & II 06/08
  • Options
    He wrote this right after the show...I was with him. He has never actually been to the pit, doubt he stole your idea....he is a professional.

Yeah, I didn't think he actually stole my idea. I was just being a d!ck. If he did though, I want royalties.
  • Options
    rvprvp Posts: 779
    Shawn S. you are a good writer, that was beautiful.

I have been living with ‘it’ for a long time now and it’s …

TY
    fuera de este mundo
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't think he actually stole my idea. I was just being a d!ck. If he did though, I want royalties.

:-)