Camping near Philly? Or is this a hotel-only area?

edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
The hotel options are limited for me in terms of cost/benefit, I think it might be best if I just camped out somewhere in the area. Does anyone have suggestions?

Otherwise, the closest hotel to Philly with availability is over 5 miles away and costs $150+ per night. That's not what I had in mind given the price and distance from the city. Anyone have hotel suggestions that I might be missing due to the search engines I'm checking?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you for your time and effort.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mcocozzamcocozza Posts: 170
    No, no camping. Plus, Camden is a real shithole, you are going to have to get out of the immediate area after the concert is over. Keep in mind you are already on the NJ side of the river. Going into Philly for a hotel is going to be 1. More expensive and 2. Further away, and more traffic to battle going over the bridge.

I don't know your price range, but the Ramada in Gloucester City came up on Hotels.com at $79 a night, and is 4.5 miles from the Tweeter Center.
  • badu2fanbadu2fan Posts: 87
    there is a microtel hotel near the airport for 79 a night.
  • More CoffeeMore Coffee Posts: 588
    A lot of people sleep on the streets in Philadelphia and in Camden...
    so yes, I guess you could say that there is camping in the area.
    support The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
    http://giving.chop.edu/site/PageServer?pagename=give_GiveTheGift
  • idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 366
    A lot of people sleep on the streets in Philadelphia and in Camden...
    so yes, I guess you could say that there is camping in the area.

LOL! Really not funny (well not politically correct anyway), but definitely true...

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    philly is really small town.......lots of room for campers.......
  • RVM1245RVM1245 Posts: 32
    camping in camden...lol...funniest thing ive read in awhile
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    im gonna need to hunt down a ride from the show back over the bridge to my hotel....any help????
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    im gonna need to hunt down a ride from the show back over the bridge to my hotel....any help????
    take the ferry over the river and catch a cab back to the hotel
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    RVM1245 wrote:
    camping in camden...lol...funniest thing ive read in awhile

Amen to that. I'm hysterical over here.

Sorry to the original thread starter, but once you see Camden in person, you'll know why the idea of camping there is so funny.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790

How are you getting from the hotel to the show? :confused:
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    Camden has one of the worst crime rates in the country. And the area where the show is at is in the middle of a run down industrial area.
  • LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    idratherbe wrote:
    LOL! Really not funny (well not politically correct anyway), but definitely true...

~peace~

How is telling the truth not politically correct?
  • cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
    4.5 miles is nothing to worry about that is like a 10 minute drive and it is all interstate highway. cross on the ferry ($5) and catch a cab from dave & Buster's to hotel. Or just drive the 5 miles to the hotel from the tweeter center traffic stinks after events so wait for final encore and be prepared to be stuck in parking lot for 30 minutes might as well just pack a few extra beverages and some food and wait for it to clear out.
    So many amazing shows! Thank you.
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    During the 1998 or 2000 tour, I remember one of the PJ websites (I want to say 5H, RIP) did a "guide to the Pearl Jam tour." It was a neat thing that talked about each venue, what to do for fun in each city, where to stay and even gave driving distance from show to show. I'll never forget what it said about Camden. Something to the effect of "this is not a good area, do not walk to / from the show alone. Lock your car and remove all valuables. Use extreme caution at this show. Don't hang around the neighborhood afterwards" I should have printed it. It was kind of funny, but really sad. Does anyone else remember this?
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
    if you are willing to wait in an extremely long line, then the ferry might be worth it. but it can be ridiculous.

btw, the 4.5 mile reference was jersey, not philly. i don't see why you would want to cross back into philly, it is easier and cheaper to just stay in jersey. granted, you want to get as far away from camden as soon as possible, but there are decent areas just outside of the city.

camden was the murder capital of the country at one point, not sure if it still is. ironically, the #1 city/town in the US to live was Haddonfield not long ago, which is a stones throw from Camden.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    mcocozza wrote:
    if you are willing to wait in an extremely long line, then the ferry might be worth it. but it can be ridiculous.

Even if you go early, like 5pm?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    i was thinking more about the way back. on the way there, at least it is spread out a bit, but almost everybody is leaving at the same time, making it a nightmare.
  • Being from South Jersey here are some suggestions. Try looking in Mt Laurel, NJ for hotels You are 5 or so miles from the tweeter and their is resturants and other stuff to do. Some Hotel/Motel ini the $80 range also check Cherry Hill to. Either place you are close to Rt 38 which takes you into the tweeter. I with my boys will be at the 28th show.
    ... and I listen for the voice inside my head...
  • Barely AliveBarely Alive Posts: 1,271
    Stryker420 wrote:
    Camden has one of the worst crime rates in the country. And the area where the show is at is in the middle of a run down industrial area.

And "run down" is a polite way of putting it.
  • jchais01jchais01 Posts: 129
    Cherry Hill is fairly close, and a nice area (on the NJ side). I stayed at the Holiday Inn in 2000 for the PJ shows and it was fine. I also remember a place called "Top Dog" in Cherry Hill which was a great bar scene for after the show.
    "Delight in Our Youth"
  • idratherbeidratherbe Posts: 366
    LongRoad wrote:
    How is telling the truth not politically correct?

Laughing about people sleeping on the streets is certainly not PC. But the way it was stated made it funny. Laughing in spite of myself...

~peace~
    Never allow someone to be your Priority,
    While allowing yourself to be their Option.

‹^›_‹(ô¿ô)›_‹^›

Please visit daily: www.theanimalrescuesite.com
  • Let me rephrase my thoughts since I didn't feel the need to provide a comprehensive post. I assumed you would all realize that I'm not talking about camping in Philly or Camden. I'm asking whether there is camping, say, 30-40 minutes outside of the metropolis; "near" the area? I didn't find anything in google searches, but that might not be the best resource.

I prefer to stay in Philly because I want to hit the town after the show and walk from my hotel through the city during the day. However, there isn't much available on the hotel search engines I'm using, at least not in the city. Those search engines are not always perfect and often there are hotels that are below the radar of certain hotel search engines. Is this the case for Philly? Can anyone suggest a hotel that might be outside of the usual search engines? I'm willing to spend $150. Since there is nothing to do in the Camden area after the show, I would hate to tuck it in early when I could be kicking it downtown or under the stars.
  • PearlJamBobPearlJamBob Posts: 77
    PearlJamBob
    9/29/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/8/98, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 11/14/02, 4/28/03, 4/30/03, 5/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    Not sure what you searched for, but my first result was http://www.newjerseycampgounds.com

http://www.newjerseycampgrounds.com/cgmain_list.php?s_region_id=3

There are a few within 10-15 miles.

40 minutes away from the venue can get you pretty far...after you get out of the parking lot that is. You could get pretty close to AC and camp on the beach...you could be in Delaware, or halfway to NY...
  • Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll either hit up Cherry Hill or camp. I presume Cherry Hill doesn't have the nightlife of Philly, but at least it's worthwhile. I'll take a look at Top Dog or something in that area. Given the amount of rain on the east coast lately, camping might be ridiculous anyhow.

champagne breakfast for everyone.
  • GRW95GRW95 Posts: 14
    my girlfriend scored a room for $99/night for Sat. and Sun. night at the Hilton Cherry Hill. It's like 3-4 miles from Tweeter...
  • there are plenty of camping areas in the Pine Barrens. done it myself a number of times, but if you want to stay in camden i hear this guy D-Train rents out rooms in his crackhouse about 3 blocks away from the venue
  • there are plenty of camping areas in the Pine Barrens. done it myself a number of times, but if you want to stay in camden i hear this guy D-Train rents out rooms in his crackhouse about 3 blocks away from the venue

Did I miss the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
  • Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    there are plenty of camping areas in the Pine Barrens. done it myself a number of times, but if you want to stay in camden i hear this guy D-Train rents out rooms in his crackhouse about 3 blocks away from the venue
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=piney&defid=705871
    *Rock and/or Roll!*