Chicago advice

Satans Red MosquitoSatans Red Mosquito Posts: 763
edited June 2013 in The Porch
Girlfriend and I are driving up from nashville, and we are not interested in staying downtown, just wanna stay somewhere the l is convenient but neighborhood is nice, and also afford decent hotels, locals, suggestion?
Shows Attended
2008 - Bonnaroo
2009 - Chicago 1
2010 - St Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Washington D.C
2011 - Pearl Jam Twenty Festival
2012 - Music Midtown Festival
2013 - Wrigley, Dallas, Oklahoma City
2014 - St. Louis, Memphis
2016- Greenville, Lexington, Bonnaroo, Wrigley 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• front spacerfront spacer Posts: 3,246
    Mccormicks Place is South...not bad, close to the Red Line but not really by anything within walking distance.

O'Hare is North with nice hotels at a cheaper rate. Close to the Blue Line, with a connecting bus route to get you over to the stadium.

Each will be about a 45 minute train ride. Both will have 3+ star hotels for less than $100 on Hotwire or Priceline usually.

Anything closer is much more money. Anything further is quite the hassle!

I was able to find a Millenium Park/Loop hotel for $100, but I haven't seen it for less than $150.

Good luck!
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    Thought it would be better to post here as it seems that there are quite a few Chicago threads from years gone by. Was hoping to get some advice from someone who lives/has lived in Chicago as this will be the fourth time to Chicago for my wife and I in the past 10 years. We love the area around the Loop as it's close and convenient to everything, especially on days in between shows. However, this year, I was looking outside the downtown area to see whether it might be worth it to try something different, perhaps to get a more residential feel of what it's like to live in Chicago. Are there any particular areas you might recommend staying? As I look north towards Wrigley, I see Lincoln Park, Montrose, etc... would those be good places to stay? I should say that while I love beaches, I live near the beach at home in Vancouver, so am wondering whether it would be a waste to go to Chicago and not take advantage of the art gallery, museums, etc..Also, being by the Loop puts us on the convenient Red Line. Not sure how we would get to Wrigley if we were in another area to the north. Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Matt
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,801
    Lincoln Park and the Lakeview area, which are next to Wrigleyville are really nice, safe and have tones of bars and restaurants and shops. Its a great place to hang out. Hotel wise, its kinda lacking, but I'm sure there are a ton of airbnbs. Its not near any of the touristy stuff in the city, but the public transportation or an uber will get you there in 5-10 min. 

• The Majestic Hotel (10 minute walk to Wrigley Field) is great. A bit pricey, but worth it for the location and neighborhood.
  • I booked a room at Hampton inn Chicago north at Loyola university. A brand new place with a few bars and restaurants around it, nine stops north of wrigley on the red line. Check into it.
  • The biggest piece of advice I can offer is... find Roosevelt Rd and stay north of it.
  • DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 479
    As others have said, any decent hotel nearby will be $$$ ... at least $300/night.  Take a look at Hotel Versey or Hotel Lincoln and see how the prices move.  Hotel Zachary is opening this spring across the street from Wrigley and they will be taking bookings soon ... but i can only imagine how insanely expensive that hotel will be.
  • We booked a Airbnb apartment by Wicker Park. Any recommendations in terms of food/transportation/etc?

thx
    Severed Hand
  • We booked a Airbnb apartment by Wicker Park. Any recommendations in terms of food/transportation/etc?

thx
    I live in wicker park. It’s a fantastic neighborhood known for it’s restaurants and bars. Go anywhere on Divison St. or Six Corners and you’ll find great restaurants. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • mwplum said:
    Thought it would be better to post here as it seems that there are quite a few Chicago threads from years gone by. Was hoping to get some advice from someone who lives/has lived in Chicago as this will be the fourth time to Chicago for my wife and I in the past 10 years. We love the area around the Loop as it's close and convenient to everything, especially on days in between shows. However, this year, I was looking outside the downtown area to see whether it might be worth it to try something different, perhaps to get a more residential feel of what it's like to live in Chicago. Are there any particular areas you might recommend staying? As I look north towards Wrigley, I see Lincoln Park, Montrose, etc... would those be good places to stay? I should say that while I love beaches, I live near the beach at home in Vancouver, so am wondering whether it would be a waste to go to Chicago and not take advantage of the art gallery, museums, etc..Also, being by the Loop puts us on the convenient Red Line. Not sure how we would get to Wrigley if we were in another area to the north. Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Matt

If you're cool with airbnb, check out Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Roscoe Village or Wicker Park.  They are all reasonably close to Wrigley with access to the CTA.  All are great neighborhoods with plenty of great bars/restaurants.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited February 2018
    The Art Institute of Chicago is a must in my opinion. Its fucking incredible. I was just in awe the first time I went. I also recommend the aquarium.
    I would recommend staying outside the city. Stay somewhere with free parking and L or taxi in. 
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• I used to work for BCBSIL and spent alot of time at the big office on E Randolph. I've only been to Wrigley once tho and we stayed at the Hyatt Recency downtown and took took a taxi part way. reserved rooms at the Congress for the 18th show as a just in case hoping to not jinx myself lol. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    If you take a car, watch where you street park it. We were able to park on N. Ravenswood Avenue during the day, but at night no parking is permitted on days of Cubs games AND in small print at the bottom of one sign we saw-- certain other dates included. PJ nights were included. Despite being told by a resident that it was okay to park there, read signs. We would have come back to a towed car. 

We parked further out on School Street in Roscoe Village, across the street from my in-law's previous house.  We knew that we could park there before. It was a mile and a half walk, but after the concert, it was therapeutic to watch the crowd melt away, leaving just my husband and me for the last few blocks on our own. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • i stayed in rosemont which is right by the airport, tons of hotels there,. got a hotel shuttle from the airport to check in. took the public train into town for wrigley and took a cab back after the show. no car needed. cab back to the hotel at the end of the night was like $35 so im sure uber is cheaper. just an option. maybe not the best but it's all i gots
  • BSullyBSully Posts: 1,183
    Airbnb seems to be the way to go for location and price...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • deadendp said:
    If you take a car, watch where you street park it. We were able to park on N. Ravenswood Avenue during the day, but at night no parking is permitted on days of Cubs games AND in small print at the bottom of one sign we saw-- certain other dates included. PJ nights were included. Despite being told by a resident that it was okay to park there, read signs. We would have come back to a towed car. 

We parked further out on School Street in Roscoe Village, across the street from my in-law's previous house.  We knew that we could park there before. It was a mile and a half walk, but after the concert, it was therapeutic to watch the crowd melt away, leaving just my husband and me for the last few blocks on our own. 
    I am extremely lucky in that I have friends that live a block away from Rosco Village Pub.  Park and stay for free, one mile walk to Wrigley!
  • We stay at the City Suites about 1/2 mile south of Wrigley.  Old hotel but rooms are nice.  It is right next to the subway and many great food options around it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • FYI there are buses that run from Schaumburg and Lombard in the suburbs for like $4.00 each way. I found it was easier to just take the bus
  • ricardofurrielricardofurriel Posts: 264
    edited February 2018
    What’s the best way to get to Wrigley and back from Wicker Park? Uber in and red/blue line back?
    Severed Hand
  • What’s the best way to get to Wrigley and back from Wicker Park? Uber in and red/blue line back?
    Uber would be the easiest way.  If you wanted to do public transportation, you could take the North Ave. bus to the North/Clybourn red line station and then take the red line over to wrigley.  Don't do blue line to red line....it's not worth it to go all the way downtown on the blue line to transfer to the red line.
  • What’s the best way to get to Wrigley and back from Wicker Park? Uber in and red/blue line back?
    Uber would be the easiest way.  If you wanted to do public transportation, you could take the North Ave. bus to the North/Clybourn red line station and then take the red line over to wrigley.  Don't do blue line to red line....it's not worth it to go all the way downtown on the blue line to transfer to the red line.
    Thank you.
    Severed Hand
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:

I am extremely lucky in that I have friends that live a block away from Rosco Village Pub.  Park and stay for free, one mile walk to Wrigley!
    My in-laws used to live a few houses up from the corner of Damen and School. They live in Wilmette now, so that was where we stayed for free. A lil ways out, but not too bad. Certainly worth it to skip a hotel cost!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    We booked a Airbnb apartment by Wicker Park. Any recommendations in terms of food/transportation/etc?

thx
    Great food scene around there, especially around Milwaukee/Damen. Check out Piece for pizza and beer, it's owned by Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick and Dave Grohl has been known to hang out there when he's in town. Big Star for tacos, Lilly's Q for BBQ(recommend the tri-tip sandwich), etc. As for transportation, there's the blue line stop there. You can take that into the loop and then transfer to the red line north to Wrigley. Or you can take the North Ave bus to Clybourn or the Division bus to LaSalle to hop on the red line. I also recommend checking out the Divvy bike sharing, real easy way to get around in general.
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    What’s the best way to get to Wrigley and back from Wicker Park? Uber in and red/blue line back?
    Yeah, I'd take the bus too, but some people don't like to take the buses for some reason.
  • I reserved online La Quinta Inn and also Best Western but see Airbnb has some good spots too for cheap 
  • Lincoln Park and the Lakeview area, which are next to Wrigleyville are really nice, safe and have tones of bars and restaurants and shops. Its a great place to hang out. Hotel wise, its kinda lacking, but I'm sure there are a ton of airbnbs. Its not near any of the touristy stuff in the city, but the public transportation or an uber will get you there in 5-10 min. 

I booked an airbnb today for $100/night its in Lincoln Park, 5 min walk to the L and a 12 ride to Wrigley, hoping for both show's so flying in early Sat morning from DFW and staying through Tuesday, total of 460, not bad if you ask me.
  • mattcoz said:
    We booked a Airbnb apartment by Wicker Park. Any recommendations in terms of food/transportation/etc?

thx
    Great food scene around there, especially around Milwaukee/Damen. Check out Piece for pizza and beer, it's owned by Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick and Dave Grohl has been known to hang out there when he's in town. Big Star for tacos, Lilly's Q for BBQ(recommend the tri-tip sandwich), etc. As for transportation, there's the blue line stop there. You can take that into the loop and then transfer to the red line north to Wrigley. Or you can take the North Ave bus to Clybourn or the Division bus to LaSalle to hop on the red line. I also recommend checking out the Divvy bike sharing, real easy way to get around in general.
    Great info. Thx a ton!
    Severed Hand