how to honey-boo-boo and other assorted crap

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited July 2013 in A Moving Train
TLC is technically "the learning channel" but i'll just call it the lame channel
The decline of civilization that already is "here comes honey-boo-boo" is sent on a spiraling sleigh ride to hell with upcoming merchandise that includes the book "how to honey-boo-boo" the guide to redneckognizing the honey-boo-boo in you.
The only thing I see that makes sense is the Halloween costume

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/ ... e-near-you

Thompson clan set to release book, calendars and more merch in time for Season 2
"Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" mom June Thompson and her family have inspired a new line of merchandise, including a complete guide on how to be like Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson. After a surprising breakout season last year, Mama June, Honey Boo and the rest of their eccentric family are returning for a second season Wednesday, July 17. To celebrate their return, a new line of products inspired by the Georgia clan is coming to stores this summer.

Thompson shared her excitement for the new venture in a statement: "We love our fans and are excited to bring things that we love to our viewer. Alana is a huge fan of fashion and all things girly. Fans are going to love the stuff that TLC will be putting on shelves." First out on July 9 will be a book titled "How to Honey Boo Boo: The Complete Guide on How to Redneckognize the Honey Boo Boo in You." Shortly after, fans of the series can purchase items including "Honey Boo Boo" calendars, posters, T-shirts and cellphone cases. They plan on expanding come 2014, with Halloween costumes, bobblehead dolls and jewelry.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    :shock: I've seen trailers for the show but have never watched that .....well you know :lol:
    are these people so blind that they can't see that TLC is making bank by dragging their family thru the mud making them look stupid ? :fp:

Godfather.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Godfather. wrote:
    :shock: I've seen trailers for the show but have never watched that .....well you know :lol:
    are these people so blind that they can't see that TLC is making bank by dragging their family thru the mud making them look stupid ? :fp:

Godfather.

hi jeff :wave:

i've only seen the ads as well but i do know she started out on toddlers in tiaras, another learning channel accomplishment
    yeah it's definitely all about the money
    you can probably get the same shit for about any show out there now
    except, of course, for the how to be like hbb book
    it's an epidemic

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I remember when that channel used to be...reputable.

I rarely watch it anymore, and having just checked out some of their shows, it's no wonder.

"I'm Pregnant and So is My Teen"?!

I've caught a couple episodes of My Strange Addiction though - fascinating but difficult to watch.

I wonder how huge the Boo Boo market is for those products. Not too large, I pray.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    mysticweed wrote:
    it's an epidemic

I don't know, there has always been trash on TV, it's just now there are more channels.
    mysticweed wrote:
    it's an epidemic

I don't know, there has always been trash on TV, it's just now there are more channels.

touche'

but at least at one time you could see history on the history channel
    documentaries on national geographic and discovery
    now your odds are slim at best to see either
    hell there's about a 50/50 chance of catching the weather on the fucking weather channel

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    mysticweed wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:
    it's an epidemic

hell there's about a 50/50 chance of catching the weather on the fucking weather channel

this one drives me insane. I swear every time I turn on the Weather Channel it's a stupid show, unless there is a tornado, hurricane, or snow storm.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    mysticweed wrote:
    TLC is technically "the learning channel" but i'll just call it the lame channel
    The decline of civilization that already is "here comes honey-boo-boo" is sent on a spiraling sleigh ride to hell with upcoming merchandise that includes the book "how to honey-boo-boo" the guide to redneckognizing the honey-boo-boo in you.

Thompson clan set to release book, calendars and more merch in time for Season 2
    "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" mom June Thompson and her family have inspired a new line of merchandise, including a complete guide on how to be like Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson. After a surprising breakout season last year, Mama June, Honey Boo and the rest of their eccentric family are returning for a second season Wednesday, July 17. To celebrate their return, a new line of products inspired by the Georgia clan is coming to stores this summer.

Thompson shared her excitement for the new venture in a statement: "We love our fans and are excited to bring things that we love to our viewer. Alana is a huge fan of fashion and all things girly. Fans are going to love the stuff that TLC will be putting on shelves." First out on July 9 will be a book titled "How to Honey Boo Boo: The Complete Guide on How to Redneckognize the Honey Boo Boo in You." Shortly after, fans of the series can purchase items including "Honey Boo Boo" calendars, posters, T-shirts and cellphone cases. They plan on expanding come 2014, with Halloween costumes, bobblehead dolls and jewelry.
    I'm authorizing the NSA to gather data on people who watch 'Honey Boo-Boo'... and giving clearance for drone strikes on those people.
    It'll make for a better America in the long run... trust me.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Do not adjust your screen. Uncle Ed will take care of it for you.

AbbeyTV_zpsabebfc6b.jpg
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LosientoLosiento Posts: 282
    Cosmo wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

I'm authorizing the NSA to gather data on people who watch 'Honey Boo-Boo'... and giving clearance for drone strikes on those people.
    WOW! Now this is something we can all find common ground on. :fp:
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Cosmo wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

But really is Honey Boo Boo any worse than the crap shows they had on in the past. I mean back in the old days there were people being stupid on shows like candid camera, Let's make a deal and The Gong Show. And those shows were on in a time when there were only a handful of tv channels (which kind of makes it worse).
    Really? Learning Channel? IDK the dumming down of America? Maybe the market stats say the brains of Americans currently watching cable channels have the capacity of ingesting such garbage?
  • backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    Cosmo wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

But really is Honey Boo Boo any worse than the crap shows they had on in the past. I mean back in the old days there were people being stupid on shows like candid camera, Let's make a deal and The Gong Show. And those shows were on in a time when there were only a handful of tv channels (which kind of makes it worse).

Hey now, The Gong Show was quality entertainment. :lol:

I'm not sure what the discussion is really about. How bad tv has become? Reality television at its worst? Is this really a quality discussion? Kill your television, everyone, that's the real solution here.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Isn't Reality TV sort of an oxymoron?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    yeah cable tv networks are a joke these days.

ax men on the history channel? come on...

having this crap on the learning channel is very similar to "the bible" miniseries being on the HISTORY channel... :fp:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Hey now, The Gong Show was quality entertainment. :lol:

I'm not sure what the discussion is really about. How bad tv has become? Reality television at its worst? Is this really a quality discussion? Kill your television, everyone, that's the real solution here.
    Um...I loved the Gong Show - had a little crush on Chuck Barris too :mrgreen:

It seems the lowest common denominator has become the norm, at least for some - whether creating or consuming it.

I mean really, this shit wouldn't be around were there not a market for it.

That said, there IS some worthwhile TV out there; just need to find it amidst the Kardashians and Boo Boo's and pregnant teenagers.
  • MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    yeah cable tv networks are a joke these days.

ax men on the history channel? come on...

having this crap on the learning channel is very similar to "the bible" miniseries being on the HISTORY channel... :fp:
    Had to go there. Cue Byrnzie with an Israel tangent and Polaris with a corporate greed controlling the gov't tangent and the triumvirate will be complete.

:lol:
    "Honey boo boo" and "Look My Teenager Is Pregnant -- LOL RITE?" or whatever they're called are worse than the older shows like Gong and Candid b/c it feels like (or IS) exploiting our kids. If adults want to make fools of themselves, so be it (though I'd rather we celebrate greatness rather than idiocy), but it seems like we're glamorizing generally negative things that kids might emulate.
    MotoDC wrote:
    "Honey boo boo" and "Look My Teenager Is Pregnant -- LOL RITE?" or whatever they're called are worse than the older shows like Gong and Candid b/c it feels like (or IS) exploiting our kids. If adults want to make fools of themselves, so be it (though I'd rather we celebrate greatness rather than idiocy), but it seems like we're glamorizing generally negative things that kids might emulate.
    That last part, hell yeah - though I'm not sure who is actually responsible for glamorizing it.

I saw something on the news yesterday morning about a new Miley Cyrus video - where she's basically taking it from behind and above and below - which is fine, do whatever you want in your own life - but why on camera? Someone actually came up with the concept, I assume it was reviewed and OK'd, lil Miley gave eager thumbs up.

It wasn't even sexy, and I was kind of embarrassed for her, that she thinks this idiotic imagery is what it takes - neither talent nor actual music one can listen to without the (needed?) distraction of young women half-dressed and air-fucking.
    hedonist wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:
    That last part, hell yeah - though I'm not sure who is actually responsible for glamorizing it.

I saw something on the news yesterday morning about a new Miley Cyrus video - where she's basically taking it from behind and above and below - which is fine, do whatever you want in your own life - but why on camera? Someone actually came up with the concept, I assume it was reviewed and OK'd, lil Miley gave eager thumbs up.

It wasn't even sexy, and I was kind of embarrassed for her, that she thinks this idiotic imagery is what it takes - neither talent nor actual music one can listen to without the (needed?) distraction of young women half-dressed and air-fucking.
    I feel like every teen star (particularly the female ones) go through this phase. They're trying to break free from the cutesy pre-teen image they have and feel like they have to do it overnight. The only way to do it overnight is of course to do it dramatically and, frankly, to overdo it.

I often wonder about stars like Beyonce. Established, talented, legit voice, could fill a stadium playing the ukulele and humming (wait, who are we talking about again? nvm.), but still dresses more scantily on stage than my wife does in the bedroom on our anniversary. Does she just enjoy it? Does she feel like she has to do it to maintain her image and fame? Is her production team pressuring her into it?
    MotoDC wrote:
    I feel like every teen star (particularly the female ones) go through this phase. They're trying to break free from the cutesy pre-teen image they have and feel like they have to do it overnight. The only way to do it overnight is of course to do it dramatically and, frankly, to overdo it.

I often wonder about stars like Beyonce. Established, talented, legit voice, could fill a stadium playing the ukulele and humming (wait, who are we talking about again? nvm.), but still dresses more scantily on stage than my wife does in the bedroom on our anniversary. Does she just enjoy it? Does she feel like she has to do it to maintain her image and fame? Is her production team pressuring her into it?
    Possibly off-topic (though also possibly related), but your comments about Beyonce - with which I agree; why is it necessary? Can't talent and a splash of charisma stand on their own without smoke and mirrors and literally lowering oneself? - got me thinking about the lengths many women go to to appear attractive, relevant, young, etc.

There's a Pantene commercial with Courtney Cox that's been running a lot here lately. I don't know what the fuck she did to her upper lip but she just looks weird now. What is the point and why can't people just live and age gracefully, naturally?

It's all become so...odd.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Saw a trailer where there is a 400 pound woman with bugs living under her rotten toenails and I decided to pass on Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo. :|
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    bb65801833e637d0cbe430f0d8968b87_fullsize.jpg
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    rival. wrote:
    bb65801833e637d0cbe430f0d8968b87_fullsize.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I'm doing a Honey Boo Boo update. So apparently for the opener of their 2nd season running, TLC marketing masters have come up with a twist on the ol' scratch and sniff.

So.

They are calling it "Watch and Sniff. Hmmmmm. Sniffing your way through a season opener?. However, my first thought was why would you want to scratch and sniff a sticker that smells like dirty ass?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Losiento wrote:
    I'm doing a Honey Boo Boo update. So apparently for the opener of their 2nd season running, TLC marketing masters have come up with a twist on the ol' scratch and sniff.

So.

They are calling it "Watch and Sniff. Hmmmmm. Sniffing your way through a season opener?. However, my first thought was why would you want to scratch and sniff a sticker that smells like dirty ass?
    I dunno... one of my favorite scratch n sniff stickers used to be Death. You know, the one with the skeleton? Smelled like a dead body or old human bones or something? It didn't smell good, but it was more interesting than cherry. There was also one that smelled like bats. :P .... Of course, Death and bats probably smell a lot better than dirty hick ass. :? Yeah, I think I'd pass. :sick:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Losiento wrote:

So.

i know
    i've seen the commercials
    there's a special card and everything
    i cannot imagine what they're sniffing