Apple Mac or Windows?

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
My Compaq laptop is on it's last legs. I'm considering switching to Apple and getting a Macbook Pro.

What's the consensus here? Apple or Microsoft? Apple seem to be of better quality and more durable. I've been using Windows for about 15 years, but fancy a change.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I've had my MacBook Pro for over a year. The battery life is the same as the day I bought it. It takes some getting used to but if you have any other apple devices, they integrate nicely. I wish The MacBook Air had more HD Space when I got my Pro. I would have gotten one of those.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The biggest Change you might have to experience is OS X. Apple's customer service is outstanding. If not needing huge hard drive space the macbook air is a nice machine.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Had a shitty Dell laptop that I was afraid to move off of my desk.

Got my current Macbook Pro 3 years ago next month. Still have a great battery. Love all of the apps that it runs. I can actually use it as a laptop. I love the trackpad. Getting use to the new OS only took about a month. The only problem I have had was some kind of RAM error, but I took it to the genius bar and they helped me out. I ever persuaded my mom to switch to a mac and she loves it.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Posts: 1,510
    I've had several Dell computers over the last 15 years.. last summer I bought a MacBook Pro. After almost a year I cannot find anything I don't like.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    My parents are on their second iMac... had their first one for about 6 years. No problems until the screen started going to hell in year 6.

I've had my Macbook Pro for two years and it still works like the day I bought it.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    Mac.

I switched about 8 years ago & haven't looked back. I've put my latest MacBook through hell in 4 years & it still works like a champ!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    love love love my mac. I got a macbook air because it's so portable. I bring it to work to do all my notes because I don't like typing on an iPad. Love it.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Thanks. Think I'll make the switch in a couple of months.
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,411
    Mac, had it for two years and still going strong
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    almost everyone here has windows,Apple mac are too expensive in Greece
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Definitely Mac. Never had Windows, a mac was my first computer and it still is to this day, laptop and stationary.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    Good that you're waiting a couple of months. They might do a product refresh in the fall.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    My work laptop is Windows XP HP. It's a giant piece of shit.
    If I get had to get a personal laptop, no question it would be a Mac.

There more expensive everywhere ... but are more reliable, built better, generally last longer, superior customer service and if you have a iPhone or iPad you can't beat the mac integration with all their products.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:

There more expensive everywhere ... but are more reliable, built better, generally last longer, superior customer service and if you have a iPhone or iPad you can't beat the mac integration with all their products.
    good you mention it.i know that,but .here 90% people has android not iphone,no one use itunes..and its like 3 times more expensive,servise is only in Athens,so you have to sent it to Athens if something isnt working..
    so,isnt the best option for Greece
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    Just bought an HP envy 17.3" laptop last week. Couldn't decide on touch (15") or display size. Went with the larger that is NoT touch capable.

First laptop ever.

Has Windows 8.

Will be returning the mother fucker on Tuesday.

Windows 8 absolutely sucks ass!!!! Even worse on a non-touch device.

Fuck it, wife said we can spring for a Mac! :)
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    my macbook pro is approaching 7 years old ... battery is pretty much dead but it boots up fine and everything works great ... haven't had to take it in for service ever ... no need to launch norton virus or anything stupid like that yet ...

it's a significant cost premium but i definitely don't have any regrets ... all my former friends who swore by windows have all succumbed to mac ... mainly because the reliability hasn't been there ...
    lukin2006 wrote:

good you mention it.i know that,but .here 90% people has android not iphone,no one use itunes..and its like 3 times more expensive,servise is only in Athens,so you have to sent it to Athens if something isnt working..
    so,isnt the best option for Greece

Just stating my opinion why macs are more money and in a time when it seems like it's becoming more of a throw away society its kind of nice to see a computer company concentrate on quality and build something people want to own knowing it'll last.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Just stating my opinion why macs are more money and in a time when it seems like it's becoming more of a throw away society its kind of nice to see a computer company concentrate on quality and build something people want to own knowing it'll last.
    i agree!!i wish was easier for us here to work with apple computers and products!
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    It really depends on what you need it for. If it's mainly surfing the internet, email, etc., get a Windows computer (or do the really smart thing and go with Linux). If you're doing graphic/web design, etc., go with Mac.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:
    It really depends on what you need it for. If it's mainly surfing the internet, email, etc., get a Windows computer (or do the really smart thing and go with Linux). If you're doing graphic/web design, etc., go with Mac.

Why? Is it slower for surfing the internet? More finicky? What's the downside?
    God I love apple. I just merged my calendar with my wife's and it took 0 time. It's been hectic latey and this will be huge.
    Well, I just went and got myself a Macbook Pro. Will give it a run-out tomorrow.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Byrnzie wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Why? Is it slower for surfing the internet? More finicky? What's the downside?

No - MACs are just more expensive and more than you need for opening a web browser and an email client. You can get a Windows laptop that will do just fine for half the price of a MAC. So maybe it kicks the bucket a year or 2 earlier, you can go out and buy another one and still be ahead.

I've used all 3 extensively - Windows, MAC and Linux. Linux is by far my favorite if you're just doing browser stuff because it boots up fast and is safer from viruses. Its drawback is opening and editing files created with software like MS Office.

Windows is next and MAC is last, but I know that the one area where MACs are particularly strong is creative stuff like graphic and web design and video editing.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I like Windows 7 but Windows 8 is a train wreck in my opinion.
    Anyone know how I can connect to the internet n my Mac? I plugged in the internet line but it says I have no internet connection.
    I should probably post this in the tech section, but can anyone tell me why I'm unable to view photo's in Google Earth with my Mac? Do I need to download some software?

Also, my speakers don't work with my mac. Anyone know why that might be? Do I need to download some software for the sound too?
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I should probably post this in the tech section, but can anyone tell me why I'm unable to view photo's in Google Earth with my Mac? Do I need to download some software?

Also, my speakers don't work with my mac. Anyone know why that might be? Do I need to download some software for the sound too?
    You need to download flash from Adobe. Apple doesn't have it pre installed

You can connect by going to the preferences area I believe.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

You need to download flash from Adobe. Apple doesn't have it pre installed

You can connect by going to the preferences area I believe.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Edit: Still doesn't work. I can't view photo's in Google Earth, and I can't download videos from Youtube.