The blackhawk bandwagon

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blackhawks ... --nhl.html

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago Blackhawks sweaters are commonplace around the city these days - though not all wearers realize that's what hockey players and die-hard fans call those ''jerseys.''

As the Blackhawks have a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven Stanley Cup finals with the Boston Bruins, Chicago is awash in red and black hats, T-shirts and jerseys - er, sweaters. But because hockey is a mystery to many - a game played largely by bearded men with hard-to-pronounce names - this particular season's bandwagon is loaded with fans who don't know the difference between the blue lines on the ice and the Blue Line train that runs out to O'Hare.

''A lot of these people, all they know is that somebody in Chicago is going for a championship,'' said Jordan Goldberg, manager of the Third Rail, a tavern a few blocks from the United Center, where the Blackhawks play.

The throngs filling the bars during the games include a fair number of people who are caught up in the party atmosphere, but barely watching the game.

''When a goal is scored, they yell like everyone else but then they go back to what they were doing'' said Curtis Tinnell, a computer analyst who donned a well-loved Blackhawks T-shirt and cap as he walked through downtown.

Those fans probably also don't know that it's superstition that keeps hockey players from shaving during the playoffs. But the 29-year-old bearded Tinnell does: The last time he grew one was during the 2010 playoffs, which ended with the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup.

That's not to say Chicago doesn't have its share of rabid fans, with intimate knowledge of the team's Original Six history, the game's rules and the fact that those two blue lines are used to determine if a player is offside. But the half-century Stanley Cup drought that preceded the 2010 championship, the fact it the team didn't televise home games until a few years ago and recent NHL lockouts have certainly contributed to a waning collective interest.

So Bob McDermott, owner of The Beer Bistro in Chicago's West Loop, now finds himself fielding questions about everything from why the jerseys are called sweaters (because it's cold on the ice) to why the players suddenly stop playing for no apparent reason.

''They ask if it is a time out and I say it's not really a time out but part of the game, kind of like a foul ball,'' McDermott said.

Out on the street, it's tough to tell who the real fans are. Stores and souvenir stands sell slightly tattered hats and pre-faded shirts.

But it's also difficult to get people to admit they're getting swept up in the frenzy over a game they don't quite understand.

''I don't think anyone wants to own up to it,' said Jessica Hegarthy, a 42-year-old attorney who was buying a T-shirt for her 6-year-old son. Hegarthy herself grew a bit sheepish when she said that while her husband and son were watching the triple-overtime Game 1 on Wednesday night, ''I was upstairs watching 'Real Housewives.'''

But the bandwagon fans do give it away sometimes.

''One of my employees came up to me and said how excited she was and then she said, 'If they lose tonight they're done, right?''' said Monique Mendoza, a 21-year-old theater manager, who said she passed on the opportunity to explain it wasn't a one-and-done series. ''I was like, 'Get out of here.'''

In Boston, bar manager Jason DeSantis insists that most fans who come out understand what they're watching.

''We have people who don't show their colors until the playoffs (but) they know the sport, they know the teams, they know the players,'' said DeSantis of the Cask n' Flagon, across the street from Fenway Park. ''Without a doubt, this is still a hockey town.''

And Chicagoans seem to be catching on. Jason Braz, who mans a souvenir stand about a mile from the United Center, said there are far more informed Blackhawks fans now than in 2010. Back then, when fans wanted merchandise with the name of Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews, (pronounced TAVES), they instead would say ''toes.''

But now, ''the number who say 'toes' and not 'taves' is much smaller,'' he said. ''The fan base is definitely growing.''

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm going to start testing hawks fans when i see them....

soo...who scored the winning OT goal the other night....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Best looking sweater in the biz.

I'd get one if I didn't give a crap about hockey.
  • JB23237JB23237 Posts: 1,377
    Shaw assisted by bolland and rosaval..... ping pong style
    Alpine Valley East Troy WI 1998...United Center Chicago IL1998...All State Arena Rosemont IL 2000 (anybody have a spare poster)
    United Center Chicago IL 2003...Alpine Valley East Troy WI 2003...Toledo OH 2004...Marcus Amphitheater Milwaukee WI 2006
    United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 2 2008...United Center Chicago IL Nite 1 2009
    PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 1 2011...PJ20 East Troy WI Nite 2 2011...Wrigley Field Chicago IL 2013...iWireless Center Moline IL 2014
    Bradley Center Milwaukee WI 2014...EV Auditorium Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2008...EV Chicago Theatre Chicago IL Nite 1 2011
    EV w/ PT celebrating the Who Rosemont Theatre Rosemont IL 2015
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    good read.

wonder if the cup will be at the Pearl Jam Wrigley show,...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    JB23237 wrote:
    Shaw assisted by bolland and rosaval..... ping pong style

:thumbup:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    good read.

maybe...it was at the EV solo show in 08

hmm...not sure if anyone on the bruins is a big PJ fan....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    good read.

It's been there before ... assisted by your Detroit Red Wings 8-)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1NSnOWXuBgPu_BanOEfiLtJQOieDrXqs5zQolsHT1UIFguRRV
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Jason P wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    good read.

Yeah and thats definitely as a result of Eds friendship with Chelios.
    As 81 said, not sure if any present day Hawks are PJ friends or even fans.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    So in other words you are now a fraud sports cop :lol::lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    I've read that Patrick Sharp is an uber-fan.
    81 is like the cop that thinks like a criminal in order to catch a criminal ... except he specializes in fraud.

8-)

:mrgreen:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    It is funny how everyone becomes huge fans once a team in their city is playing for a championship. I'm sure the same thing is happening in Boston. Happens everywhere.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Hockey Blows
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Hockey Blows

:fp:
    It is funny how everyone becomes huge fans once a team in their city is playing for a championship. I'm sure the same thing is happening in Boston. Happens everywhere.

go bruins :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

bandwagon cop.....

jeagler heads up teh fraud division
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • It is funny how everyone becomes huge fans once a team in their city is playing for a championship. I'm sure the same thing is happening in Boston. Happens everywhere.

I have yet to experience anything worse than Lakers fans. One of the things I do not miss after moving from LA but the way the fan base went from core fans to every tom-dick-&-harry with a pulse once Shaq & Kobe got it going was ridiculous.

Every year as the playoffs approached we got to look forward to the freeway covered in these:

6a00e398207183883301157023fa6d970b-800wi

A note on the above picture -- the person driving the car was unemployed and behind on child support payments. :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    A note on the above picture -- the person driving the car was unemployed and behind on child support payments. :lol:

:lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

:nono: :nono:

Why are you so anti-Hawks? I'd think as a Flyers fan, you would be more anti-Bruins.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Hockey Blows

At least I'm not on the bandwagon. Half season anyway. Championship doesn't really count
  • LloydXmas wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Hockey Blows

At least I'm not on the bandwagon. Half season anyway. Championship doesn't really count

The Stanley Cup Playoffs are a season by themselves....I think the championship counts. Best teams made the playoffs.

Since the Hawks beat my favorite team (Kings) I will be a hater and root for the Bruins.

If all of the games are as good as the last one I am happy for whatever team wins.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,192
    81 wrote:

bandwagon cop.....

jeagler heads up teh fraud division

I stand corrected :lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    81 wrote:

:nono: :nono:

Why are you so anti-Hawks? I'd think as a Flyers fan, you would be more anti-Bruins.

trust me...rooting for the Bruins is painful.

i'm not so anti hawk..but considering the hawks beat the flyers in 2010...having them win anouther would make wearing a flyers hat here more painful. plus the woman doesn't want to deal with the parade.

i was happy for the hawks and their fans when they decided to put games on tv, while trying to win after dollar bill passed.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

trust me...rooting for the Bruins is painful.

i'm not so anti hawk..but considering the hawks beat the flyers in 2010...having them win anouther would make wearing a flyers hat here more painful. plus the woman doesn't want to deal with the parade.

i was happy for the hawks and their fans when they decided to put games on tv, while trying to win after dollar bill passed.

Sounds like a lose-lose for you. But I can see why you're still bitter after 2010. :D

Ha, dollar Bill. I love that name. Rocky isn't much better...always crying poor and still trying to claim that the Hawks are losing money. :fp: But at least he put the games back on TV. Still can't believe that was happening just 5 years ago. Crazy.
  • mrerocmreroc Posts: 78
    Nice to see a Hawks thread here, even if it isn't really talking about the team. I moved away from the city years ago, but know it is one hell of summer for dual Hawk and PJ fans in the city. I'll be back in town for a Cup game (if no sweep) late next week and the show in July.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,338
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    good read.

I thought I heard some Evenflow during the game, prior to a face off, maybe after a time out or stoppage in play. Got me ever so slightly more pumped for Wrigley. Someone in Chicago likes PJ, maybe the music/sound/noise coordinator?

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    good read.

This is why I'm pulling for the Blackhawks
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • jlaustinjlaustin Posts: 2,355
    It's been there before ... assisted by your Detroit Red Wings

:thumbup:

I thought I heard some Evenflow during the game, prior to a face off, maybe after a time out or stoppage in play. Got me ever so slightly more pumped for Wrigley. Someone in Chicago likes PJ, maybe the music/sound/noise coordinator?

Yep - Even Flow definitely made an appearance during the last game - seemed like a pretty long sample!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Jason P wrote:
    81 is like the cop that thinks like a criminal in order to catch a criminal ... except he specializes in fraud.

8-)

:mrgreen:

I think I'll refer to him as "Sherlock" for now on :idea:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • mrerocmreroc Posts: 78
    Even Flow during OT, yup. I heard it through the WGN feed on XM. I've noticed there's a bit of PJ at just about every game.