Options

Weight of a Nation

polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
edited June 2013 in A Moving Train
i have some free channels on my tube and they have this HBO series in the catalog ... anyone seen it? ... just watched 2 of the primary episodes and 1 of the kids ones ...

1 in 3 americans are diabetic or pre-diabetic ... obesity stats are pretty bad ...

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/

what i found interesting is that as an overweight person - it is easy to lose weight but hard to keep it off ... even tho someone could lose weight to match height weight of someone who is of similar age but has been at that weight a while ... the person losing weight can only consume 20% less calories than the person who's been at a healthy weight ...

i've always wondered why it was that people i know who are overweight and eat like pretty much rabbits and exercise way more than me are still overweight ... definitely an epidemic ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Because no one can subsist on 1200 calories a day for the rest of their life. The doctors in our country, the dietitians, the fitness gurus have it all backwards. It is not as simple as calories in, calories out but is about giving up processed crap and eating real, whole food and yes that means real butter and real eggs not margarine and not egg substitute. Unfortunately, trying to change the low fat, low calorie mindset is nearly impossible even though people know it doesn't work except in the short term.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    polaris_x wrote:
    i have some free channels on my tube and they have this HBO series in the catalog ... anyone seen it? ... just watched 2 of the primary episodes and 1 of the kids ones ...

1 in 3 americans are diabetic or pre-diabetic ... obesity stats are pretty bad ...

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/

what i found interesting is that as an overweight person - it is easy to lose weight but hard to keep it off ... even tho someone could lose weight to match height weight of someone who is of similar age but has been at that weight a while ... the person losing weight can only consume 20% less calories than the person who's been at a healthy weight ...

i've always wondered why it was that people i know who are overweight and eat like pretty much rabbits and exercise way more than me are still overweight ... definitely an epidemic ...

as someone who cuts weight for dumb shit, I can tell you that losing weight is actually pretty easy if you are committed to it***for me that is***. Losing a lot in a short time is not. I go up and down because I am not comfortable weighing under 155 when I am strutting around like a gentleman, but all it takes for me to lose 25 lbs in 4 weeks is a diet change and a little more exercise (last 10 is usually water weight and it SUCKS). Those 25-35 lbs come back on in about 4 days though...so much easier to go the other way. I don't envy someone who has let themselves get to a very unhealthy level of weight. That is a tough battle...we are creatures of condition and they, along with the chemical composition of certain foods, have conditioned the mind that they need 9 whoppers or they are not satisfied...

People's mentality of what food is needs to change in America. Food is fuel, when you put garbage in, you get garbage out...I have started eating basically only food grown by my in-laws and I am so thankful, hormone free animals, free range chicken, vegetables with very little to no pesticides...just wish they grew skittles cuz I cannot quit me my skittles...In fact this board, for the last few years I have been active on it, has shown me a lot about quality of food.

I am genuinely concerned about the health of my children and getting them started on the right path with food. These kinds of series are great reminders of how important it is to stay healthy rather than trying to get healthy. HBO does some quality work for those who don't subscribe, I recommend checking out their series VICE.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    Because no one can subsist on 1200 calories a day for the rest of their life. The doctors in our country, the dietitians, the fitness gurus have it all backwards. It is not as simple as calories in, calories out but is about giving up processed crap and eating real, whole food and yes that means real butter and real eggs not margarine and not egg substitute. Unfortunately, trying to change the low fat, low calorie mindset is nearly impossible even though people know it doesn't work except in the short term.

yeah ... everyone thinks i'm a vegetarian because i'm a treehugger and i'm relatively thin ... when they find out i eat everything and that i love fat (like real fat in meats) - they think i must have some crazy metabolism ... the reality is that i don't eat a lot of shit (french fries aside - and those are usually hand cut) ... haven't really drank pop except for the occasional one here and there nor eat a lot of processed foods ... my diet is typically made up of meats and vegetables and grains in its primary source ...

one episode was on how this girl got her school to reopen the salad bar ... the problem tho was that it was that bagged iceberg lettuce that has very little nutritional value ... kids are dousing it with shitty salad dressing and there was very little protein which means come an hour from then - they are gonna be hungry and looking for chips and crap ...
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    I am genuinely concerned about the health of my children and getting them started on the right path with food. These kinds of series are great reminders of how important it is to stay healthy rather than trying to get healthy. HBO does some quality work for those who don't subscribe, I recommend checking out their series VICE.

it's keeping it off that is hard ...

what is this show Vice? ... i see it as an option ... i've got these channels till the beginning of August ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    riotgrl wrote:

yeah ... everyone thinks i'm a vegetarian because i'm a treehugger and i'm relatively thin ... when they find out i eat everything and that i love fat (like real fat in meats) - they think i must have some crazy metabolism ... the reality is that i don't eat a lot of shit (french fries aside - and those are usually hand cut) ... haven't really drank pop except for the occasional one here and there nor eat a lot of processed foods ... my diet is typically made up of meats and vegetables and grains in its primary source ...

one episode was on how this girl got her school to reopen the salad bar ... the problem tho was that it was that bagged iceberg lettuce that has very little nutritional value ... kids are dousing it with shitty salad dressing and there was very little protein which means come an hour from then - they are gonna be hungry and looking for chips and crap ...

After subsisting on 1200 calories per day, with the requisite binges because I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed, I have wrecked my metabolism. But I am trying to repair it right now eating enough calories to sustain my activity level - especially when I am in training season for running my half marathons. Whenever I slip off the wagon - usually spending time at my parents or on vacation - and eat a lot of processed food or eat out a lot then I find myself craving the unhealthy stuff and have to start all over. I still have weight to lose but I am no longer exhausted and unable to do the things I want to do!

I AM MINE
  • Options
    * Food choices. Spoil yourself a little on the weekend, but fall into a healthy routine during the work week where you are preparing meals that feature no processed foods, a variety of vegetables and modest portions of protein.

* Don't over-indulge: eat smaller meals more frequently (5 times a day versus 3 times a day). This will have the effect of raising your metabolism. Start your day with a smaller, easy-to-digest meal in the morning.

* Exercise. Find time. Doesn't have to be a ton. Always do something on Monday.

You cannot ignore the health implications associated with a sedentary, unhealthy lifestyle. It's work, but it doesn't have to be a drag.

If adults simply cannot give themselves a chance at a long and healthy life... then for gawd's sakes... please give your kids a fighting chance. It's a lot easier to maintain than it is to start. If a kid gets out of the gates obese... they will have a long and difficult path ahead of them. In such a scenario, a parent has essentially neglected their responsibilities in poor fashion. I simply cannot recall how many times I have seen (as one example) the mother and daughter team wheezing their way through a public setting. Way to go, Mom: you bred yourself a partner to pig out with instead of a healthy and happy child. Sad.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    After subsisting on 1200 calories per day, with the requisite binges because I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed, I have wrecked my metabolism. But I am trying to repair it right now eating enough calories to sustain my activity level - especially when I am in training season for running my half marathons. Whenever I slip off the wagon - usually spending time at my parents or on vacation - and eat a lot of processed food or eat out a lot then I find myself craving the unhealthy stuff and have to start all over. I still have weight to lose but I am no longer exhausted and unable to do the things I want to do!

yay ... good luck!

it's scary when you find out what 1,200 calories amounts to in processed food ... that's like 4 pops, 6 kit kats and 2 big macs ...
  • Options
    i haven't gotten through all the episodes but they were talking about neurological triggers where people would see what they deemed to be "pleasurable foods" and something would trigger that would make the person want to eat it ...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Read Salt Sugar Fat
    it will change your view of a lot of foods

I already watch what I eat and limit my salt/sugar/fat intake but this book really made things clear to me
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    polaris_x wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:

it's keeping it off that is hard ...

what is this show Vice? ... i see it as an option ... i've got these channels till the beginning of August ...

keeping it off is hard but I really think if, like riotgirl said, switch their diet to something sustainably healthy they wouldn't even have to exercise to lose a lot of weight and they would keep it off.
    Documentary shit filmed about pretty much the worst shit... I suggest watching it. I cannot wait to watch the won about chicago called Chiraq
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Read Salt Sugar Fat
    it will change your view of a lot of foods

I already watch what I eat and limit my salt/sugar/fat intake but this book really made things clear to me

I agree with not eating any of these items as they are formulated in processed food but eating good, healthy fats will not make you fat. Avocados are our friends :lol:

I AM MINE
  • Options
    wow ... 50% of agricultural land currently growing corn or soy ...

obviously, i haven't been a fan of industrialized farming but it's absurd how evil those big agri companies are ...