Options

I'm looking for ten million Americans

2»

Comments

• Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    Cosmo wrote:
    :lol:
    With your statement, you just made it easier for terrorists to carry out their plans. They would love for us to stop surveillance activity. Another victory for them.
    The victory for them is to have us alter our way of living to suit them. if you choose to live your life in fear, that's fine. I just don't want your fear to empower my government to erode away the rights of my nation.

I think most people in the world live in fear to some extent. It's not really a choice or option. I'm more fearful of a neighbor owning a gun and going crazy with one day, then I am of the government gathering some info on me that will never be used. I'm not hiding anything. I spent 4 years at NSA as part of my military enlistment and can tell you America would be in some deep shit if NSA didn't exist.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    how do we reconcile the statement from ben franklin stating that people willing to sacrifice freedom for security with the realities of this day and age?

back then people used quills and inkwells to conspire to have a battle on a battlefield. they did not use phones, internet, email, etc to conspire to crash planes into buildings or blow things up.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I think most people in the world live in fear to some extent. It's not really a choice or option.

not me. I smoke weed. :mrgreen:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think most people in the world live in fear to some extent. It's not really a choice or option.

Thank our lucky stars it doesn't make us paranoid 8-)

An aside...there are some things I do fear (or maybe "contemplate" is a better word) in a passing but not constant sense - a huge earthquake, some dipshit blowing a red light and plowing into me, a nutjob going off on me, the death of someone I love - all possibilities, but they don't rule my life or my peace of mind.

I'd go nuts if they did.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Question: Does anyone read/understand that contract/waiver on their phone contract?
    You may have consented that the phone companies can parcel out portions of your phone records by clicking the 'I Accept' button.
    Also, you can opt out of government scrutiny by not putting your life out on your phone.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    I'm looking for ten million americans to stand together to stop gun violence , why don't you do something about that asshole why don't you have the balls to meet with the Newtown families and explain why your party has not done zero about this bigger problem dick .........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

Thank our lucky stars it doesn't make us paranoid 8-)

An aside...there are some things I do fear (or maybe "contemplate" is a better word) in a passing but not constant sense - a huge earthquake, some dipshit blowing a red light and plowing into me, a nutjob going off on me, the death of someone I love - all possibilities, but they don't rule my life or my peace of mind.

I'd go nuts if they did.

I fear more now that I'm a dad of two gorgeous girls, but I'm by no means a helicopter parent. Just normal shit: I hope they don't break an limb at the beginning of summer, I hope we can trust all the adults in her life, stuff like that. but like you said, it doesn't rule my/our life. we're careful and smart, but for the most part cross that bridge.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Question: Does anyone read/understand that contract/waiver on their phone contract?
    You may have consented that the phone companies can parcel out portions of your phone records by clicking the 'I Accept' button.
    Also, you can opt out of government scrutiny by not putting your life out on your phone.

last time I had a phone, back in the 90's when they didn't flip or have the internet, that thing was longer than any legal document. they KNOW no one is going to read it. the person is just thinking "yay! now I can phone my friends when they were already out and didn't invite me!".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014