Escrow payments

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
why is it so damn hard for mortage companies to figure out the correct amount?

my total payment dropped 10% after jumping 10% last year.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I just got a $221 refund yesterday. :mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I just got a $221 refund yesterday. :mrgreen:

not getting a refund...just drives me nuts tho...you think they coudl smooth it out. i guarentee next year it will jump back up. :fp:

ah well...applying the different to my payment did shorten my loan by a month.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I know different states have different ways to handle -- if your home taxes are rolled in (not sure if they are in IL....they are in NJ) along with the homeowner's insurance....those two items can change from year to year. Maybe a result of that?

Just a guess. Going through my first home purchase earlier this year showed me just how much I dont know about all of this stuff.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I know different states have different ways to handle -- if your home taxes are rolled in (not sure if they are in IL....they are in NJ) along with the homeowner's insurance....those two items can change from year to year. Maybe a result of that?

Just a guess. Going through my first home purchase earlier this year showed me just how much I dont know about all of this stuff.

taxes and insurance

they do some rigamaroll of a calculation to determine the monthly balance to make sure it doesn't drop below a certain amount. just drives me nuts how much it swings from one year to the next. :fp: :fp: :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    With mine, they roll in the property taxes and insurance, (including flood ins)... I have no clue how it works, wha t I owe, or what the fuck they do to figure it out. And yeah, I fully expect them to tell me they undercharged some day. it seems like a total clusterfuck. :fp:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 81 wrote:
    I know different states have different ways to handle -- if your home taxes are rolled in (not sure if they are in IL....they are in NJ) along with the homeowner's insurance....those two items can change from year to year. Maybe a result of that?

taxes and insurance

they do some rigamaroll of a calculation to determine the monthly balance to make sure it doesn't drop below a certain amount. just drives me nuts how much it swings from one year to the next. :fp: :fp: :fp:

I fully understand how they got to my number year 1 (this year) -- sounds like I might be in for a surprise next year! (They could lower it and it would not bother me at all.)
    I fully understand how they got to my number year 1 (this year) -- sounds like I might be in for a surprise next year! (They could lower it and it would not bother me at all.)

i got year one...since then it has been a yo yo ride.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Why don't you just tell the mortgage company that you'll make the payments yourself and to unescrow you

I know there's instances when you can't but its worth asking
    rollings wrote:
    Why don't you just tell the mortgage company that you'll make the payments yourself and to unescrow you

i asked about that when i signed up....i didn't really push the issue, but they weren't too keen on that idea.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • in the process of buying my first home now...
    i only have to escrow the taxes... i have control over the insurance luckily
    hopefully it wont be too much of a mess :?
    Going through my first home purchase earlier this year showed me just how much I dont know about all of this stuff.

Amen to that. What a stressful process. Bank's got me jumping through hoops and doing all sorts of cartwheels this week. :fp:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    did a refinance last summer, was a major pain. over the years the escrow has gone up and down, but not too bad.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    81 wrote:
    rollings wrote:

i asked about that when i signed up....i didn't really push the issue, but they weren't too keen on that idea.

that's because they like to make sure the taxes and insurance etc are paid on the property.

tell them to go chomp, you'll pay it yourself.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    property taxes fluctuate. what else can the mortgage company do? they can only keep so much of your money in escrow. i'm pretty sure it's a law.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    shortstack wrote:
    property taxes fluctuate. what else can the mortgage company do? they can only keep so much of your money in escrow. i'm pretty sure it's a law.
    True - ours have every damn year...although I'd like to see the property value raised in line with taxes assessed.

(and don't get me started on just WHAT those taxes are going to!)
    shortstack wrote:

my taxes don't flucuate 50% per year. (this year's monthly escrow change * 12 / propert taxes)

:fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • in the process of buying my first home now...
    i only have to escrow the taxes... i have control over the insurance luckily
    hopefully it wont be too much of a mess :?
    Going through my first home purchase earlier this year showed me just how much I dont know about all of this stuff.

Amen to that. What a stressful process. Bank's got me jumping through hoops and doing all sorts of cartwheels this week. :fp:

Yeah, I had very nice people dealing with us which made it tolerable. My wife & I both had '800' credit, only debt was small car loans almost paid off, we had everything we needed for downpayment and a bunch of money left in the bank. They still made us feel at times like it was a real hassle.

This is what we get for not being like the general dipshit that they approved for loans at 0% down with crap in the bank 10 years ago. :fp:

Good luck wrapping things up!
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    81 wrote:
    shortstack wrote:

my taxes don't flucuate 50% per year. (this year's monthly escrow change * 12 / propert taxes)

don't you face palm me, mister.

then something else is going on with your mortgage/loan than just a regular escrow refund/adjustment.
    i'll just leave now. :D
    did you see me? i saw you.
    shortstack wrote:
    81 wrote:
    shortstack wrote:

don't you face palm me, mister.

then something else is going on with your mortgage/loan than just a regular escrow refund/adjustment.
    i'll just leave now. :D

bad escrow calculation programming. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Been in the banking industry for over 15+ years. Don't hate me. But..

You can choose to not escrow if you are at a 80% loan to value. Bank should be able to tell you if you are or not. There usually is a fee to not escrow. Some clients feel that they can take care of it on their own. Some like the ease of letting the bank do it.

If you are in a fixed rate mortgage your principle and interest should not change (for the most part) with the term you amortized it at.

The only thing that would change is your property taxes and/or home insurance. The banks will audit your escrow account a couple times a year. They go off of information provided by your insurer and county taxes. The escrow world is a devil in itself in that they have many laws of how much they can have in the account etc. I know Illinois may be all over the place with assessed values and cuts. MN saw a large drop in value based on getting rid of the homestead act and people saw their taxes go up and value down :nono:

Back in the day when the average investor could make a buck the theory was " I will keep my own money rather than have a bank hang on to it" But these days life is crazy and who wants to plan on a bi/annual tax payment and a yearly/monthly insurance payment. I know you all probably know this but thought I would add my 2 cents. :roll: :oops: ;)
    Been in the banking industry for over 15+ years. Don't hate me. But..

You can choose to not escrow if you are at a 80% loan to value. Bank should be able to tell you if you are or not. There usually is a fee to not escrow. Some clients feel that they can take care of it on their own. Some like the ease of letting the bank do it.

If you are in a fixed rate mortgage your principle and interest should not change (for the most part) with the term you amortized it at.

The only thing that would change is your property taxes and/or home insurance. The banks will audit your escrow account a couple times a year. They go off of information provided by your insurer and county taxes. The escrow world is a devil in itself in that they have many laws of how much they can have in the account etc. I know Illinois may be all over the place with assessed values and cuts. MN saw a large drop in value based on getting rid of the homestead act and people saw their taxes go up and value down :nono:

Back in the day when the average investor could make a buck the theory was " I will keep my own money rather than have a bank hang on to it" But these days life is crazy and who wants to plan on a bi/annual tax payment and a yearly/monthly insurance payment. I know you all probably know this but thought I would add my 2 cents. :roll: :oops: ;)

i get all that. just annoying that the escrow amounts swings so much from year to year. if i just do the % change on the escrow is 30%. and then next year, it will jump right backc up. pick a spot in the middle. is that too much to ask :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    shit...looks like my escrow statement was done on april....and my excess escrow was 822. guess i better open my mail and see if i can find it. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075

This is what we get for not being like the general dipshit that they approved for loans at 0% down with crap in the bank 10 years ago. :fp:
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02

• This is what we get for not being like the general dipshit that they approved for loans at 0% down with crap in the bank 10 years ago. :fp:

Yes the Dodd Frank Act is becoming quite fun. It is a good read. :lol: :corn:
    Found the check. I'm rich :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    81 wrote:
    rollings wrote:

did you borrow more than 80% of the house value?
    www.myspace.com
  • 81 wrote:
    Found the check. I'm rich :lol:

Wrigley here Billy goes! :P
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    81 wrote:
    why is it so damn hard for mortage companies to figure out the correct amount?

my total payment dropped 10% after jumping 10% last year.

I don't do them. I pay the tax and insurance myself.

Even if the mortgage companies didn't have problems trying to figure the amount, why would I want to give them my money to pay something I can pay myself>
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    There usually is a fee to not escrow.

This is the kind of thing that pisses me off. I have to pay a fee because most people are too irresponsible to make their own tax and insurance payments.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1 wrote:

This is the kind of thing that pisses me off. I have to pay a fee because most people are too irresponsible to make their own house payments.

fixed.
    ;)
  • know1 wrote:

This is the kind of thing that pisses me off. I have to pay a fee because most people are too irresponsible to make their own tax and insurance payments.

Yep. I could go on and on. According to Fannie Mae and F Mac they still have to verify that proper coverage is on the home and taxes paid. So, they "justify" a one time no escrow fee. :fp: