Options

The Waterboys

helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
edited October 2013 in Other Music
A new thread dedicated to this great band. Searched the forum an didn't find a thread for them specifically.

http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/

Seeing them for the first time this year(don't pick on me please!) 8-)

A couple of questions to those who have seen them recently:
1) Is it all about Mike Scott?
2) If you have seen them recently I would like to know what cd's to buy to get prepped for the show-I have Fisherman Blues and am wondering if they play a lot from that cd these days, or?

Also any good quality utube links?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    I hope to see them this year too, i missed them when they were in Philly last year remembered the wrong date. Fisherman's Blues is a great album one of my all time favorite. Cant really help you with setlists and such since im pretty new to the band myself.
  • Options
    I hope to see them this year too, i missed them when they were in Philly last year remembered the wrong date. Fisherman's Blues is a great album one of my all time favorite. Cant really help you with setlists and such since im pretty new to the band myself.

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=waterboys

this is a great site for setlists.

I am also hoping to see them for the first time...except closest show is six hours away. God I love road trips.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Dimitris

have you seen the waterboys live? worth the road trip?
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Bird889 wrote:

Dimitris

never!!love them!!..i wish i could!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Bird889 wrote:

Dimitris

never!!love them!!..i wish i could!!

ok, I just did it... got tix for the Morristown nj show. 2nd row. and the wifey is going too.
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

Yes! Great album! :clap:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtpRXGpWmw

heart this

Note: I think Eddie got his "wooh" from the waterboys.
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    rollings wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtpRXGpWmw

heart this

Note: I think Eddie got his "wooh" from the waterboys.

At the Glasgow SECC show in 2000, after once, eddie talks about mike scott, and how much of an influence he's been, and at that show he sings the Once upon a time part the way mike scott would've sung it, if you have this bootleg check it out....

great show by the way, I was there :)
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    motorcademotorcade Posts: 108
    Great band...first saw them at Glastonbury '86, classic show, recorded by the BBC and released (partly) on 'The Live Adventures of...' CD.

Met Mike Scott at a book reading (Adventures Of A Waterboy) in Penzance last year, really nice guy, and got my 'Adventures Of' CD signed too!

As well as the book reading, Mike also performed a short set with Steve Wickham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9JZ2T41Mu0

Looking forward to the Fisherman's Blues Revisited tour later this year (have a ticket for Bristol) and to the forthcoming 7 CD 'Fisherman's Box' Set!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBKEgKEkaXo
    I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate...

Dublin, 23-08-06; London, 18-06-07; London, 18-08-09; London, 25-06-10; Manchester, 20-06-12; Manchester, 21-06-12; EV London, 30-07-12; EV London, 31-07-12
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    Im looking forward to the boxset. Little worried it might have some filler, hope its not like 20 different takes of the tracks already released on the 3 cds already out. Really would like to hear " I Threw it All Away" supposedly they played that a few times during the sessions, but they didnt record it....
  • Options
    motorcademotorcade Posts: 108
    Im looking forward to the boxset. Little worried it might have some filler, hope its not like 20 different takes of the tracks already released on the 3 cds already out. Really would like to hear " I Threw it All Away" supposedly they played that a few times during the sessions, but they didnt record it....

Have yet to see a track listing for the box, I too am hoping that there won't be a lot of repetition.

As far as I know, all of the tracks from the previous CD editions are to be included, but that will still leave a total of 85 unreleased songs. With the release date planned for October 14th it shouldn't be too long now before we get to find out exactly what will be on it.
    I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate...

Dublin, 23-08-06; London, 18-06-07; London, 18-08-09; London, 25-06-10; Manchester, 20-06-12; Manchester, 21-06-12; EV London, 30-07-12; EV London, 31-07-12
  • Options
    PopmartijnPopmartijn Posts: 382
    A new thread dedicated to this great band. Searched the forum an didn't find a thread for them specifically.

http://www.mikescottwaterboys.com/

Seeing them for the first time this year(don't pick on me please!) 8-)

A couple of questions to those who have seen them recently:
    1) Is it all about Mike Scott?
    2) If you have seen them recently I would like to know what cd's to buy to get prepped for the show-I have Fisherman Blues and am wondering if they play a lot from that cd these days, or?

I'm also a big fan of The Waterboys. First saw them about 7 years ago, IIRC. Love the passion in there music.
    I'm not sure what you mean with your question if it is all about Mike Scott. Yes, he's the most important person in The Waterboys, IMO (you can say that he is The Waterboys), but Steve Wickham on violin is very important too. Part of the fun of seeing them live is seeing the interplay between those two.

Not sure how the show is billed you're have tickets for. His latest album, An Appointment With Mr. Yeats, set to music some of the poems by W.B. Yeats so he could still focus on that one. On the other hand, as has been pointed out already in this thread, there's a 7CD (!) boxset on the way about the Fisherman's Blues session, so they might also play plenty of that period. And you can't go wrong with the This Is The Sea album, which also features their biggest hit The Whole Of The Moon.

Enjoy the discovery!
  • Options
    excellent info. thanks to all who contributed. i will report back after the show
  • Options
    Funny, I just received my ticket for the Morristown NJ show and the ticket is printed, "The Waterboy". Sure hope I just did not spend good money and plan to travel six hours to see a showing of the Adam Sandler movie.

:o
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    adam sandler is a funny guy :)
  • Options
    I got back yesterday from my seven hour trip to Morristown, NJ to see The Waterboys for my first time. Awesome seats, second row and such a incredible show. Throughout the show I keep thinking, "f me, this is incredible". This was one of the best shows I've seen live and I've been to a couple hundred. Mike Scott and Steve Wickman were on fire, like they have something to prove. Not to me.
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Options
    I know i will regret not going to the Philly show Sunday very soon. Such a great band, i have to excuse for passing up the chance.
  • Options
    I know i will regret not going to the Philly show Sunday very soon. Such a great band, i have to excuse for passing up the chance.

Well, the Philly show of last Sunday was postponed, so you will have another chance!
    The new date is Monday October 21st. Yep, you can set your priorities: Pearl Jam or The Waterboys, who do you want to see?
  • Options
    Popmartijn wrote:

Well, the Philly show of last Sunday was postponed, so you will have another chance!
    The new date is Monday October 21st. Yep, you can set your priorities: Pearl Jam or The Waterboys, who do you want to see?

Already have my PJ ticket...