101 Best Written TV Series

Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
A pretty solid list by the writer's guild.

http://wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=4925

There are some notable exclusions, namely The Dukes of Hazzard and The A-Team are nowhere to be found.

Top 10

1 Sopranos
2 Seinfeld
3 The Twilight Zone
4 All in the Family
5 MASH
6 The Mary Tyler Moore Show
7 Mad Men
8 Cheers
9 The Wire (still have not watch an episode)
10 The West Wing

follow the link for the rest ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Cool. Thanks for providing a summary. Some of those lists are annoying. I really have to watch the wife. May e after dexter season 7
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    like most of those shows but I got to vote for M.A.S.H. as the best written. none of those other shows listed did both comedy and drama at such a high of level as M.A.S.H. did. amazing show, funny as hell but serious at times as well.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Love that the West Wing made the top 10, loved that show
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Star Trek at 31?

Heck, the A-Team should have made the top 100 if Star Trek is at 31. :fp:
    The only downfall of M.A.S.H. is that they were supposed to be fighting a war that took place in 1950 ... yet everyone had a 70's hairdo.

:fp: :lol:
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Jason P wrote:
    The only downfall of M.A.S.H. is that they were supposed to be fighting a war that took place in 1950 ... yet everyone had a 70's hairdo.

That, and it ran 4x longer than the actual war did.

No NewsRadio or Sports Night on this list?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    No Firefly :(
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    I'm happy to see Twin Peaks made the list. :D
    I lost a bet...
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    If the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross is not on there, I fully intend to do a naked fasting protest.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Jason P wrote:

When it was originally airing, it was apparently hard to find anyone in the general public who didn't think it was about the Vietnam war.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I've got the whole series on VHS tape. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    edited June 2013
    No Firefly :(

if firefly isnt on this list then the list has no credibility. But yay West Wing. i still havent watched the last two episodes.

Edit: There's actually a lot of good shows on that list. Including Buffy. So. I think the Firefly thing might have been an oversight.
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    The list reminded me to see if Northern Exposure is in reruns right now. That show is awesome.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I was surprised to see Band of Brothers so far down on the list. Maybe because it was a mini-series. That might be the best written show I've ever seen on TV. (I, Claudius isn't bad either.) I'll look again to see if Jewel in the Crown is there - wow, that was great, too.

The top ten seems great. (I still have never seen The Wire either. Whoops.)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Curb at 30? I didn't think Curb was "written"
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Lets be honest...
    Any list that does not start with the wire at number one is flawed. :nono:

I think in 5 years if this is made Breaking Bad easily slips into the top 10

I can understand leaving Firefly off. It only had one season and when it was shown on TV out of order it wasn't exactly the best view of it.

Glad Battlestar is on there.

where is DR WHO?? It is a genre defining show that ran for over 20 straight years and then was started up again and continues to have sucess.

Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey in the 40's seems a little low on the list considering we need to see how they end and where they go. (not bashing them i'm a BIG fan of both but they could start to suck)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I'm OK with where Game of Thrones is on the list. It may even be too high even though it is a great show. But it's based on a book so it pretty much writes itself. There are a few plot lines that differ from the books, but I'd say 90% of it follows it word for word.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,669
    "Best Written" adds an extra murky layer of subjectivity. I couldnt tell you because I confuse "Best Written" with "Best" with my "Favorites".
  • cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Posts: 3,365
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I've got the whole series on VHS tape. :D

So, do I and Laura Palmer's diary. :lol::lol::lol:
    I lost a bet...
    I would have to add Futurama to this list, especially if The Simpsons are at #11. That show is super clever and funny.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    intodeep wrote:
    where is DR WHO?? It is a genre defining show that ran for over 20 straight years and then was started up again and continues to have sucess.

This was my second thought after Firefly. The reason I can understand leaving Who off is because of the sheer scope of it. And not all Who was created equal. They split Star Trek up by the series on that list, Who doesn't do that, so it would make it kind of awkward to really rate.

Doctor Who still wins in my book :P
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Jason P wrote:
    I would have to add Futurama to this list, especially if The Simpsons are at #11. That show is super clever and funny.

Yeah, I agree. I would argue that it is better-written, but the Simpsons has so much material and longevity. Its great how those shows start in one direction, and get slingshotted into the actual unrelated plot.

Mr Show with Bob and David should have been on the list. That show is the Apex of comedy IMO
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    duska3419 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

This was my second thought after Firefly. The reason I can understand leaving Who off is because of the sheer scope of it. And not all Who was created equal. They split Star Trek up by the series on that list, Who doesn't do that, so it would make it kind of awkward to really rate.

Doctor Who still wins in my book :P
    Doctor Who always wins because he is cool Thus he has a Fez :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    Glad to see Arrested Development in there at 16. Such a great show, I was afraid it was going to get overlooked...

one that needs to be on there what is conspicuously missing is Californication... the writing in that show is spectacular.

I could argue about the positioning of a lot of shows, but I do want to say this... Based shearly on the terrible way the writers elected to end the Soprano's, I'd knock it out of the number one spot... that ending almost ruined the whole series for me...

And where's Bubbles, Ricky and Julian?? ;)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    shep wrote:
    I could argue about the positioning of a lot of shows, but I do want to say this... Based shearly on the terrible way the writers elected to end the Soprano's, I'd knock it out of the number one spot... that ending almost ruined the whole series for me...

Yeah, that ending sucked. Add in the random dream sequence episodes each season and that's a two spot penalty. :geek:

Also ... I am the liquor.
    The Sopranos IMO was great the 1st 2 seasons and would deserve consideration for top 5.
    Then the Italian-American community got up in arms and the show seemed to bog down a ton. There were too many loose ends/events that vanished. The show didnt seem to take me anywhere. The demise of some characters was anti-climactic. Then the ending was awful IMO. The entire reason I hung on for the final 3 seasons was to see what happens to Tony. Then to do that was awful.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    The Sopranos IMO was great the 1st 2 seasons and would deserve consideration for top 5.
    Then the Italian-American community got up in arms and the show seemed to bog down a ton. There were too many loose ends/events that vanished. The show didnt seem to take me anywhere. The demise of some characters was anti-climactic. Then the ending was awful IMO. The entire reason I hung on for the final 3 seasons was to see what happens to Tony. Then to do that was awful.
    Breaking Bad is about a zillion times better than the Sopranos IMHO.... and so are a bunch of the other shows on that list.... But obviously that list is just as subjective as all of our opinions. It's a pretty good list though, as those lists go. The ranking is meaningless, but I'm impressed by a lot of what is included.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    Jason P wrote:
    shep wrote:

Yeah, that ending sucked. Add in the random dream sequence episodes each season and that's a two spot penalty. :geek:

Also ... I am the liquor.

Chicken Fingers anyone?

333643-vlcsnap_2010_10_03_08h13m42s177.jpg
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Deadwood not in top 20??....25!????....30!!????

got a problem with Friday Night Lights (22) being 10 spots higher than DEADWOOD (32) in ANY list

"The emotional heft of even the most compact exchanges, all sum to arguably the most distinctive dialogue style written in TV history, an art of speech uniquely American and weirdly untheatrical."
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    LukinFan wrote:
    Curb at 30? I didn't think Curb was "written"
    "detailed outline." Dialog is completely improvised.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful