Need Help With Airline Problem

BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,675
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Quick back story, went to San Antonio May 19-25th, got out before a big rain storm came in the morning, but during the delays and transfers onto other planes our luggage was misplaced. All was good and it was found. We had flown out of Detroit but live in Canada. The airline (Southwest) called on Tuesday the 28th and said they were going to UPS to me. I had declared it at the border when we crossed as I knew eventually it would have to go thru customs. So anyways on Thursday I get a call from UPS and i have to go to the Toronto airport to claim it at customs, so that was alitlle piss off as I live 2 1/2 hrs away and what was the point of UPS's it to me when I got to go get it, days lost work now. I pick up the luggage today and when we get home and unpack, my stuff is fine, but the wife's stuff is soaked and colours have run onto the white's, mold growing on some stuff, basically her bag is ruined.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and let them know what has happened. But never having to go thru something like this before what can I expect or what is the best way to go about this? I have receipts for the new stuff we bought, but what about the items she brought. Personally I want it all replaced, I can prolly get away with washing the jeans and the 2 black PJ shirts she took along :evil: But will the airline come good for this stuff or am I going to have a fight on my hands?

Any help appreciated
2005 - London
2009 - Toronto
2010 - Buffalo
2011 - Toronto 1&2
2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
2018 - Fenway 1&2
2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
2023 - Chicago 1&2
2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Quick back story, went to San Antonio May 19-25th, got out before a big rain storm came in the morning, but during the delays and transfers onto other planes our luggage was misplaced. All was good and it was found. We had flown out of Detroit but live in Canada. The airline (Southwest) called on Tuesday the 28th and said they were going to UPS to me. I had declared it at the border when we crossed as I knew eventually it would have to go thru customs. So anyways on Thursday I get a call from UPS and i have to go to the Toronto airport to claim it at customs, so that was alitlle piss off as I live 2 1/2 hrs away and what was the point of UPS's it to me when I got to go get it, days lost work now. I pick up the luggage today and when we get home and unpack, my stuff is fine, but the wife's stuff is soaked and colours have run onto the white's, mold growing on some stuff, basically her bag is ruined.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and let them know what has happened. But never having to go thru something like this before what can I expect or what is the best way to go about this? I have receipts for the new stuff we bought, but what about the items she brought. Personally I want it all replaced, I can prolly get away with washing the jeans and the 2 black PJ shirts she took along :evil: But will the airline come good for this stuff or am I going to have a fight on my hands?

Any help appreciated
    As a frequent flier I have good and bad news.
    The good news is that Southwest has the best customer service in the industry.
    The bad news is that they'll say something like "there was nothing we could do".

You likely won't get reimbursed for the clothes. The best may be flight credits for future flights.

My advice: Call them, explain things in a calm voice and hope for the best.
    I fly Southwest on a weekly basis and they almost always treat their customers well.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,675
    mca47 wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

Any help appreciated
    As a frequent flier I have good and bad news.
    The good news is that Southwest has the best customer service in the industry.
    The bad news is that they'll say something like "there was nothing we could do".

You likely won't get reimbursed for the clothes. The best may be flight credits for future flights.

My advice: Call them, explain things in a calm voice and hope for the best.
    I fly Southwest on a weekly basis and they almost always treat their customers well.

Thanks, somewhat good to hear. Prolly a good thing that the customer service line was busy when I tried earlier, wasn't a happy camper at that point. But figured I would wait to tomorrow when I'm calmer. Well i hope on some items that will come good for, we want to actually call back down to the stores for a couple of the items. Guess I will wait and see.
    your tips are appreciated, I figure I'm gonna get the gears at the start and then I'm gonna have to freak. I just don't want to go there.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I agree southwest has great customer service ... I just don't if they'll replace luggage. Good luck.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Yeah, the key is keeping calm and explaining it in a way where they'll be sympathetic.
    As I "live" on Southwest planes these days, I've met and now know quite a few employees...from gate agents, pilots, flight attendants and customer service agents. They'll almost always go the extra mile for respectful customers. Put it in a way they understand and can relate to and I'm sure you'll get something from them.

Those people who go nuts, yell and carry on almost always get nothing....and that's coming directly from their mouths. :D
    Good luck!
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,675
    mca47 wrote:
    Yeah, the key is keeping calm and explaining it in a way where they'll be sympathetic.
    As I "live" on Southwest planes these days, I've met and now know quite a few employees...from gate agents, pilots, flight attendants and customer service agents. They'll almost always go the extra mile for respectful customers. Put it in a way they understand and can relate to and I'm sure you'll get something from them.

Those people who go nuts, yell and carry on almost always get nothing....and that's coming directly from their mouths. :D
    Good luck!

I do agree with your last statement about remaining calm, I'm usually that way. But I've seen the other way work just as well with the screaming & yelling. They usually get what they want as they just want the person to go away. But that isn't me and I prefer to work with the people as I think you will eventually get further. Thanks
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2