Nerd Herd Question! (computer/internet)

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I bought a new modem/router so I don't have to rent from Comcast. I thought it would support VOiP, but it only has RJ-45.

Can I buy an RJ-45 to RJ-11 converter and have my phone work, or do I have to buy a EMTA Telephony router?
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    Go nerd herd...I don't even understand the fuckin' question...!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    nobody? really? :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Im decent with computer and nerdy shit, but you've lost me on this one. I've only used one router though. I plugged the little bugger in, and it worked.

But there has to be a nerd forum somewhere that can answer.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I think it will work (but don't quote me on that). You could try the converter and if it doesn't work return it.

And if it doesn't wouldn't it be cheaper just to get another phone than the router?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i don't understand..you want to plug your phone into the router? don't you have a separate device for voip that plugs into the router? that's what i had when i had vonage
    Rygar wrote:
    I think it will work (but don't quote me on that). You could try the converter and if it doesn't work return it.

And if it doesn't wouldn't it be cheaper just to get another phone than the router?

:| Comcast sure does like to take people for a ride... :evil:

I'm looking at converters, but I'm not sure if they will work the way I need it to, and VoIP phones are pretty expensive.

Just realized after I posted this, I know someone who used to work for Comcast. :fp: I'm calling them tonight.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Just one question and then maybe I can help...

What's an "internet?"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    do you need that phone? :lol:

when we had WOW! interent, the modem had ports for both a phone and ethernet cables.....i'm guessing you want something like that.

i dunno.

seriously, tho, do you actually use that home phone?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    OGRE.jpg
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    norm wrote:
    i don't understand..you want to plug your phone into the router? don't you have a separate device for voip that plugs into the router? that's what i had when i had vonage

I have the EMTA Telephony thing from Comcast, in the last year I have gone through 2 of them, so I want to own mine and quit paying the rental fee. I bought what I thought would work, but it has only the ethernet ports.
    81 wrote:
    do you need that phone? :lol:

when we had WOW! interent, the modem had ports for both a phone and ethernet cables.....i'm guessing you want something like that.

i dunno.

seriously, tho, do you actually use that home phone?

yes, that's essentially what I need/want. I don't 'really' use the phone, but we are trying to sell the camper, and I don't want to give out my cell phone number to weirdos.

I want to know if any of those VoIP converters will work with my router...plug it into the ethernet port, then plug my analog phone into the converter. Right now if you try to call my phone, it just says the phone is out of service.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I don't 'really' use the phone, but we are trying to sell the camper, and I don't want to give out my cell phone number to weirdos.

norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I don't 'really' use the phone, but we are trying to sell the camper, and I don't want to give out my cell phone number to weirdos.

:lol: that's what the Comcast guy told me to do. He was really understanding about me not wanting to keep the router and paying the rental fee. Said it was free to make and receive calls...he would call his momma that way,

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

i was just going to say that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    :ugeek:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Modem is free, installation is on saturday

Sucks for you

borat-dance.gif