Options

Blues Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    I've read some excellent books on the blues including Robert Palmer's essential Deep Blues and Amiri Baraka classic Blues People. Currently I'm reading another one that will be very high on my list of great blues books, Peter Guralnick's Feel Like Going Home: Portraits in Blues, Country, and Rock 'n' Roll. What a fantastic book this is!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,533
    Some great names above..
    Robert Johnson,Muddy Waters and John Campbell are my fav..
    ''Born under a bad sigh'' - Albert King and ''The London Myddy Waters sessions'' - Muddy Waters & Rory Gallagher..
    and the early Stones
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

Some great names above..
    Robert Johnson,Muddy Waters and John Campbell are my fav..
    ''Born under a bad sigh'' - Albert King and ''The London Myddy Waters sessions'' - Muddy Waters & Rory Gallagher..
    and the early Stones

Yes! Great!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,954
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Son House, simply excellent.

There is a great series of documentaries by Martin Scorsesee which is well worth checking out, tracks the evolution of the blues from its roots up to present day-ish.

As for great artists, apart from Son House, R L Burnside is great, as already mentioned, perhaps check out the label, Fat Possum records, The Black Keys, when they were good, were signed to them. Early Allman Brothers is also good. Gravelroad are pretty decent too.

As for others:

Junior Kimborough
    T Model Ford
    Blind Lemon Jefferson
    Mississippi Allstars
    Corey Harris

To name but a few
  • Options
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    and thats epic..

http://youtu.be/Gb5BifGi-6Q
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options

There is a great series of documentaries by Martin Scorsesee which is well worth checking out, tracks the evolution of the blues from its roots up to present day-ish.

As for great artists, apart from Son House, R L Burnside is great, as already mentioned, perhaps check out the label, Fat Possum records, The Black Keys, when they were good, were signed to them. Early Allman Brothers is also good. Gravelroad are pretty decent too.

As for others:

Junior Kimborough
    T Model Ford
    Blind Lemon Jefferson
    Mississippi Allstars
    Corey Harris

To name but a few

I only have one Son House collection on CD. The sounds is a bit harsh and it's not all that great a selection so I have to say, House is a major gap in my blues lps. Any suggestions- especially if available ob vinyl?

• Options
    I've recently been listening to Johnny Shines lately and really digging it. And then just last night I read a quote where Phil Chess (from Chess records) once said, "Johnny Shines? He was juat a run-of-the-mill blues singer." REALLY, Phil?

You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbrf4fk8w5U

• Options
    brianlux said:

As for others:

Junior Kimborough
    T Model Ford
    Blind Lemon Jefferson
    Mississippi Allstars
    Corey Harris

To name but a few

I only have one Son House collection on CD. The sounds is a bit harsh and it's not all that great a selection so I have to say, House is a major gap in my blues lps. Any suggestions- especially if available ob vinyl?

Father of Folk Blues is pretty good compilation and available on vinyl as is "Father Of The Delta Blues: Complete 1965 Session"

There are some good live CDs such as "Delta Blues and Spirituals", that are very raw.
    Clarksdale Moan is also a good cd of his very early stuff 1930-1940

The Martin Scorsesee presents Son House is a good introductory compilation too.

Enjoy

• Options
    ^^^ Thank, funkygibbon! I'll watch for those.

Another name I want to mention here, one that has shown up regularly over the years in listening to and reading about the blues, is Pete Welding. Welding brought many fine blues artists to light as a producer and writer and founder of Testament Records. Without Welding influence many of these great artists might not have been heard very widely at all.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh man, I can't believe I only just recently heard Delta Blues great Tommy Johnson for the first time. Only 18 recorded songs have surfaced from recording made in 1928 and 1929. Here's his great "Cool Drink of Water Blues" What a voice- what sweet sorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MezmaVBNV8

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    I've been listening to a lot of blues lately. Buddy Guy, Albert King, Freddie King, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters.....the usuals really. 

I was recently introduced to Roy Buchanan. Not the strongest singer but definitely one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV