Options

Help me help the pandas!! :-)

eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
OK, so here goes....

I was not sure which forum page to post this at so I hope here is OK.

My girlfriend really loves pandas... They are by far her favorite animal, and she collects all sorts of quirky panda stuff!! :-)

Last summer I took her to see a panda up close for the first time, and she was really happy. His name was Bao Bao and he was a resident of the Berlin zoo. Conveniently for me, Pearl Jam were playing Berlin at the same time.......... :mrgreen:

I just got word that about a month after we met Bao Bao, he sadly died. I broke the news to my girlfriend and she was really sad.

Anyway, to get to the point, I want to adopt a panda for her, as a gift!! :-)
The best package I found was from the Smithsonian Zoo at Washington D.C. http://nationalzoo.si.edu/support/adoptspecies/animalinfo/giantpanda/default.cfm but the only problem is that they don't send the packages to Europe due to their shipping policy.

Would anyone be willing to get this shipped to their house in the States or Canada and then ship it to me to Greece? If anyone uses the post office regularly and would be willing to do this, both the pandas and my girlfriend would be very grateful!! Of course I will PayPal the $ in advance.

Thanks!
Nick

:-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    Edinburgh Zoo in Scotland has adoption packages for their Giant Pandas and many other deserving animals if this is any help to you and your good lady... :)
  • Options
    Thanks Pjzepp67!!
    Edinburgh Zoo is a great choice and I've looked into that.
    The Pandacam has been on non stop for the past week... It's awesome!! :-)
    http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/pandacam.html

I think the Smithsonian package is what she'd want though... Of course at the end of the day I will adopt one from any good facility, because the adoption is the whole point, but I thought I'd give it a shot here for what I think she'd like.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    Good luck with that Niko! I can help you adopt a monk seal if you wish (I am a MOm volunteer). Have a look here: http://www.mom.gr/displayITM1.asp?ITMID=228. By the way, on behalf of all the animals out there, thank you for doing this! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Just checked the "Pandacam"...as you say, awesome...good luck.
  • Options
    Hairy DaneHairy Dane Denmark Posts: 205
    Good luck and how very nice of you to do this.
    But why not go with the WWF thing http://gifts.worldwildlife.org/gift-cen ... Panda.aspx ... ?
    And yes Bao Bao was a sight, as far as I recall wasn't he a gift from China to West Germany? ...
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • Options
    Thanks Panagioti... Nice to see that we're helping the seals. It's a shame the minimum donation is 100 Euro though... Do they accept less if you don't want the full package?

Hairy Dane, thanks for the advice. WWF was the obvious place to go to in the beginning, but I realised that then we would not know where to go to visit her "adopted" panda... So I thought a zoo would be better.

Bao Bao was indeed a gift from China to West Germany. He lived to be 34 years old.. Pandas in the wild live for around 15-20 years. By living so much longer in captivity, there are more chances for them to reproduce and help keep the species from going extinct.

Here's a photo I took of Bao Bao:

photo-1_zps0231c04b.jpg

And here is my gf taking a video of him:

photo2_zps5478aa7f.jpg

...so long friend!! Hope there's lots of bamboo in panda heaven!!
  • Options
    A beautiful creature indeed...such a beast for man to pin his hopes and aspirations on...and the panda is quite nice too... :fp:
  • Options
    Pjzepp67 wrote:
    A beautiful creature indeed...such a beast for man to pin his hopes and aspirations on...and the panda is quite nice too... :fp:

:fp:

:lol:
  • Options
    eyejacker wrote:
    Thanks Panagioti... Nice to see that we're helping the seals. It's a shame the minimum donation is 100 Euro though... Do they accept less if you don't want the full package?

I'm not so sure, but I think you cannot adopt a monk seal for less than 100 euros. You can always contact them via e-mail and ask them. If you really want to help the #1 endangered species in the Mediterranean Sea, you can also make a donation via PayPal (http://www.mom.gr/displayITM1.asp?ITMID=176). The amount of money is of course up to you.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    pm sent
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Looks like I'm in luck!!
    THANK YOU

Now if anyone else can adopt an animal, you will be doing a great deal of good!!

I knew I could count on my fellow 10C members!!!

Thank you once again, to SD48277 and to everyone else who took an interest!!

:)
  • Options
    Hairy DaneHairy Dane Denmark Posts: 205
    Cool! ... Good luck with your new panda ;)
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Wow! Pandacam is amazing!! So cool! Very odd but very cool. Yay SD!! :)

I hope your girlfriend loves her panda gift & that is very cool she got to meet Bao Bao before he passed.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Will post reaction when received...

In the meantime, little panda is out and about today, eating bamboo as usual!
    http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/pandacam.html
  • Options
    Cute! :P
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Toronto Zoo

file-11.jpg
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Damn you eyejacker...we are now hooked on the Pandacam tooo !
  • Options
    Pjzepp67 wrote:
    Damn you eyejacker...we are now hooked on the Pandacam tooo !

Look at him go!!!!
    nom nom nom nom nom

:corn:
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Toronto Zoo

file-11.jpg

That's a fine lookin' animal you've got there!!
    :D

C'mon peeps, adopt a species!!!
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF6bOi1NfA

Check these little guys out!! :lol:
  • Options
    :lol: :thumbup:
  • Options
  • Options
    Pap wrote:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
    :thumbup:

That is really cool!! :-)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    If you are adopting a panda, make sure you buy a shit ton of bamboo.

I'd also check with the landlord to make sure he is OK with a panda roaming around. :geek:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    If you are adopting a panda, make sure you buy a shit ton of bamboo.

I'd also check with the landlord to make sure he is OK with a panda roaming around. :geek:

:wave:
    Apparently they also eat ice cream, and the landlord already has two, so I'm covered!!

• Options
    panda_eating_cake_zps804c149d.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The average giant panda eats as much as 9 to 14 kg (20 to 30 lb) of bamboo shoots a day. Given this large diet, the giant panda can defecate up to 40 times a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda

Add a giant pooper scooper to the shopping list as well. :shock:
  • Options
    There were OOOOOOOH 's and there were AAAAAAAAA' s
    Big smiles all around!!! :D

THE PANDA HAS LANDED
    adopt_zpse86a6d42.jpg

A HUGE (literally) THANK YOU to SD48277 from my girlfriend!!
    I'm sure she will send you a little thank you back ;)

It actually arrived here on my birthday, yesterday, and I ended up being a bit of a hobbit and handed out presents on my birthday... :lol: (I also bought my dad the new Black Sabbath CD yesterday ;) )

The community here is awesome!! Thank you all very much...
    Now go help some wildlife!!
  • Options
    Uber-cool x2...pandas and Black Sabbath...

Happy Birthday :)
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Yay! :D

You are very welcome!! Glad to help out.
    ELITIST FUK