Options

Chicago locals...I need help!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Here is some info from someone my wife works with who lives in the Chicago area:

You don’t need to rent a car and you don’t need to take a cab from O’Hare, unless you prefer to of course. You can take the El/Blue Line from O’Hare into the city. Google Maps has partnered with Chicago’s public transportation to include very detailed directions how to use the public transportation.

The Hyatt is a nice chain. My girlfriend’s son makes all of their glass sculptures/artwork, and they have a special place in my heart for giving this kid with severe dyslexia a chance to make a living. Make sure you’re staying at the Hyatt on Upper Wacker and not the one at McCormick Place. There is _nothing_ convenient at the one just a mile or so south at McCormick Place.

I’ve stayed at the Hyatt on Upper Wacker. It is lovely and fairly convenient location to everything. They have a beautiful glass bar, which is fun when there’s a thunder/lightening storm outside. The Pro sports teams usually stay at this hotel.

Book of Mormon play Is in town until October. If you are a South Park fan and can fit it into your schedule, it is shockingly funny. If you’re not a South Park fan, skip it, and forget I even recommended it. J

Restaurants: Almost everything is great—and now you will know why Chicagoans are fat. I think I’d lose 50 lbs moving to TX because there’s nothing good to eat there unlike Chicago where it’s all good. Just look on Yelp and if it’s 4* you’re good.

My personal recommendations:

· HOT DOG: You MUST experience a Portillo’s hot dog (Chicago Style of course). They have great burgers and Italian beef and their chopped salad is my favorite. I’ve never been disappointed going there. If someone tells you to go to the Wiener’s Circle, you must be severely intoxicated to be able to tolerate the abuse the staff hand out. They actually had a TV show. It’s not far from Wrigley and may be a good option for you post-concert if you’re not ready to go to bed yet.

· Chicagoan’s argue over pizza and Italian beef. Nobody makes Italian Beef as good as my mom, so I have no idea what restaurants may be better than the other. I don’t have a favorite pizza, I just know I like ours better than NY or Boston.

o Tourist trap for pizza: Pizzeria Uno (disgusting and overrated--IMHO) and its sister Pizzeria Dues(sp?) Same opinion.

o Good alternatives in order of my preference: Lou Malnatti’s, Geno’s East and Giordano’s.

· Mexican: Frontera Grill. If you can’t get there before you go home, I strongly encourage you to plan on eating at O’Hare before you get on a plane. There is one in the United Terminal 1 and American Airlines Terminal 3. Terminal 3 is the bigger of the two and has more seating. I recommend the Cuban Torta because it reminds me of Tampa and Ybor J but if that’s not your thing I think it’s safe to assume that it’s ALL good. Frontera Grill is owned by Rick Bayless who has a TV Show “Mexico: One Plate at a Time” . They do have 3 restaurants downtown all in one building. Frontera, Topolobambo and another one that begins with an X. Topo is $$$$, Frontera is $$$ X is $$. X is the only one that sells Torta’s. Frontera has a special stuffed Poblano pepper (which I’ve never gotten) that is sold out early in the day—its supposed to be amazing. Their guacamole is awesome, as is their margaritas and I can speak from experience that their Chocolate Pecan Tart is out of this world delicious. The main dish obviously did not move me because I can’t remember what I got. J

· Garrett’s popcorn. If you see one, buy what you like to eat for “now”. There’s a Garrett’s in American Airlines Terminal 3 for your popcorn purchases for going home. Be sure to tell them you’re going to an area of high humidity and they will pack it special for you. IF you are going through security in Terminal 3, As soon as you go through security, hang a hard right. It’s on the wall basically behind the airline people who check your luggage. I hope that makes sense. If you’re not flying out of Terminal 3, you can get there fairly easy as soon as you get through security.

· DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO La CANTINA, ITALIAN VILLAGE OR VIVERE FOR DINNER. They pay off the concierges in town to recommend them. Trust me—it’s God awful.

· If you must eat Italian when in town, seriously comb the Yelp reviews before you go anywhere. I’m picky and I just find happiness at any Lettuce Entertain You restaurant. Chicago you will find a mix of Northern Italy and Southern Italy cuisine, which are very different IMHO. Figure out which you prefer and then comb the reviews to see which dishes are the best. I think Bill Rancic and his annoying wife Juliana have an Italian restaurant via Lettuce Entertain You network in town. I’ve never been, but imagine it would be good b/c it’s a Lettuce place—which strives to satisfy all palates and they do a decent job.

· Chinese and sushi- I’m never that hungry to eat either so I have no advice, ever.

· If you want Breakfast or Fish, I highly recommend Glenn’s Diner on Montrose (right off the Brown Line). I know that sounds like a weird combination, but Glenn’s never disappoints. They serve breakfast all day and have a great fish selection—for Chicago. The potato pancake is memorable.

· Ann Sather’s is another tourist trap breakfast place. I was at one years ago, and I don’t remember how it was. There are a few of them, and if *I* were going, I’d go to the one that is hand-painted walls of rosemalling, because I know how impossibly difficult it is to paint, especially on a wall.
    Gorge
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Obviously going to the show and then to the Sox game. In which district should I try to book?

Franklin Park Area
    Lincoln Park
    Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area
    O'Hare Airport (ORD)North
    O'Hare Airport (ORD) South

Thank you.

We are booked at the Homewood Suites on Grand Ave. Convenient location to Red Line and excellent location!
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    cindbricindbri Posts: 88
    voodoopug wrote:
    Obviously going to the show and then to the Sox game. In which district should I try to book?

Franklin Park Area
    Lincoln Park

Thank you.

We are booked at the Homewood Suites on Grand Ave. Convenient location to Red Line and excellent location!

Can I get a little assistance with L navigation? Sorry, I'm a donkey....Can I change between Blue line from O'Hare to Red Line somewhere in the downtown section? Trying to discern from maps online but I can't tell. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    cindbri wrote:

Can I get a little assistance with L navigation? Sorry, I'm a donkey....Can I change between Blue line from O'Hare to Red Line somewhere in the downtown section? Trying to discern from maps online but I can't tell. Thanks in advance.

Yes. You can transfer from the blue line to the red line once you get downtown. I believe it is at the Washington stop. It's really easy to figure out once you're on the train.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    cindbri wrote:

Yes. You can transfer from the blue line to the red line once you get downtown. I believe it is at the Washington stop. It's really easy to figure out once you're on the train.

Jackson...you have to walk thru the tunnel.

althought loooking at the map...looks like you can do washington to lake...not sure how that works

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... 00806d.htm
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Hotel Felix is not that bad, I've stayed before....I got a good deal too for a room there. See you there!
    jonsey30 wrote:
    Ask the locals an important question:

Staying at Hotel Felix (not super happy about it, but decent deal)
    1: Giordano's or Gino's East? (or a third option that I've never had)
    2: Al's Italian Beef or Portillo's?
    3: Why doesn't Goose Island bottle their Green Line Pale Ale? It's only available on tap around Chicagoland and is a beautiful thing.
    4: Best watering holes downtown? (love the Local 22 on Hubbard)
    5: Best high-end places for atmosphere and drinks? (Michael Jordan's Steakhouse, Rooftop Terrace at Trump's)
    6: Who else knows how great Heaven on Seven is? New Orleans style food - Try the Voo Doo Chicken enchiladas!
    7: Willis Tower Skydeck or Hancock Observatory for views? May do both
    8: Where am I going to get tickets? Have the whole trip planned, will be pretty shitty to have to listen from the street.
    Hey brother.
  • Options
    Great thread. Keep the suggestions coming

Using points for the downtown Courtyard on hubbard. Hopefully this is a good walking area.

I'm interested in taking one of those boat tours during the day for an hour or less. Looks like there are a ton of them. Found this one which has 3 options.
    http://www.seadogcruises.com/Chicago/ri ... tural-tour

Anyone familiar with it? Any good? Any others? discounts?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    cindbri wrote:
    voodoopug wrote:

Franklin Park Area
    Lincoln Park

Thank you.

yes. in the loop.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    I would really appreciate some advice too: what are the best record stores in Chicago? Thanks! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,033
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I would really appreciate some advice too: what are the best record stores in Chicago? Thanks! :)

I've read somewhere that Vintage Vinyl in Evanston is good, although pricey. I've also read that Eddie used to hang out there with his buddies back in a day. :)
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I've read somewhere that Vintage Vinyl in Evanston is good, although pricey. I've also read that Eddie used to hang out there with his buddies back in a day. :)
    Thanks. :) That would be cool to check out, although I won't have a car and can't see myself taking a bus out to the burbs, so am looking for places in or at least kind of close to downtown, wrigleyville, etc, or walking distance from the red or blue lines. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 1,033
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Thanks. :) That would be cool to check out, although I won't have a car and can't see myself taking a bus out to the burbs, so am looking for places in or at least kind of close to downtown, wrigleyville, etc, or walking distance from the red or blue lines. :)

There is a purple line running to (or through) Evanston with a stop near Vintage Vinyl if you want to consider it. You can transfer from the red to purple line. From Wrigley, it takes about 40 - 45 minutes to get there. I really want to visit Eddie's hometown, so I'm actually gonna give the subway a try. ;)
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

There is a purple line running to (or through) Evanston with a stop near Vintage Vinyl if you want to consider it. You can transfer from the red to purple line. From Wrigley, it takes about 40 - 45 minutes to get there. I really want to visit Eddie's hometown, so I'm actually gonna give the subway a try. ;)
    Oh, okay, thanks! :)
  • Options
    TrueReligionTrueReligion Posts: 134
    Im def eating at Lou Malnattis....gf wants to try Joes seafood and prime rib...anyone have opinion on joes???
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    Im def eating at Lou Malnattis....gf wants to try Joes seafood and prime rib...anyone have opinion on joes???
    do it.