Office Email Etiquette

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
If someone sends you an email saying thank you, are you suppose to reply and say you are welcome. :corn:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    probably.

we have an instant messaging program and it is very convenient for a lot of stuff and doesn't need to be as formal as email, so I always get tripped up on whether to do thank yous or your welcomes. some even abbreviate these to ty and yw or np (no problem). depends on who it is
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    perhaps a reply of...

next time, you can thank me with a pic
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    perhaps a reply of...

or a cupcake.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    perhaps a reply of...

or a cupcake.

good call.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    all I know is that with email and more so with the instant messaging, anything to get me out of having to call someone and have an actual conversation is gold
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    all I know is that with email and more so with the instant messaging, anything to get me out of having to call someone and have an actual conversation is gold

i prefer the call.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    how about those bastards who reply to all when a congratulatory or welcoming email is sent out...then others feel obliged to also reply all and the next thing you know you have 20 fucking emails in a row that are completely pointless...(no offense to any who actually practice this, it's just a pet peeve of mine)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    how about those bastards who reply to all when a congratulatory or welcoming email is sent out...then others feel obliged to also reply all and the next thing you know you have 20 fucking emails in a row that are completely pointless...(no offense to any who actually practice this, it's just a pet peeve of mine)

The reply all function should be banned for all mass e-mails.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

The reply all function should be banned for all mass e-mails.

I found it useful for the first time in my life last week when a curriculum was changed and another student 'reply all'-ed with a valid question that a lot of other people probably had. I would imagine it's easier on the sender to answer that one question rather than a couple hundred times as well.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Np
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

i prefer the call.

I will do the call when I don't want anything to be documented
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

i prefer the call.

communist
    www.myspace.com
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

i prefer the call.
    I hate people like you!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Nah I get enough emails and I am sure everyone that emails me does too. Don't need to clog their email up more.
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

i prefer the call.
    I hate people like you!

yeah! and he's probably the type that when you don't answer will then immediately ping you on instant messaging!! hate that
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    81 wrote:
    If someone sends you an email saying thank you, are you suppose to reply and say you are welcome. :corn:
    Not necessarily. Like, if they are thanking you for answering a question or responding tonsome other email request, no. If they are specifically thanking you for a job well done or something, yes. I think the best rule is simply to go with your instincts on this one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

i prefer the call.
    I hate people like you!

i agree, i hate the peopel that instant message all the time....fuckin pick up the phone and call me with your question.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    is it too late to send the welcome email?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    edited May 2013
    rival. wrote:
    Nah I get enough emails and I am sure everyone that emails me does too. Don't need to clog their email up more.

We actually had a graphic designer here who asked folks to stop sending him emails thanking him for his work.
    81 wrote:

Maybe send this?

RFerhh7.jpg
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Np

I do this. It's all the energy I have for. :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    81 wrote:
    No
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    i got this one today
    You’re the best. Here’s some digital beer:

with this picture

http://www.nuvo.net/binary/76d4/beerbuzz600.jpeg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823

Oh my god, these people are the worst. Even worse than that is when you get an email from IT about something and it clearly states "do not respond to this email" and people start responding to all. It really makes you realize how dumb some people are.

Oh my god, these people are the worst. Even worse than that is when you get an email from IT about something and it clearly states "do not respond to this email" and people start responding to all. It really makes you realize how dumb some people are.

i once accidently sent an email to everyone...it was on groupwise, so i was able to recall it before 75% of the people read it.

unfortuanlly, one of the people that did read it, did a reply all to let me know i fucked up. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I've gotten more phone calls in the last two days then I've gotten in a month.

:nono:
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    81 wrote:

i once accidently sent an email to everyone...it was on groupwise, so i was able to recall it before 75% of the people read it.

unfortuanlly, one of the people that did read it, did a reply all to let me know i fucked up. :fp:
    What an ass! I forgot all about groupwise...been on Outlook for 5-6 years now and cant even remember it anymore. But being able to recall an email is priceless, you can't do that on Outlook can you?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    But being able to recall an email is priceless, you can't do that on Outlook can you?

i liked groupwise so much better....

you can recall an outlook email...but seems to be hit or miss.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

:fp: What an idiot.
    But really, all email should have a delay option. It doesn't actually go out until 2 minutes after you hit send or something. I don't know why it doesn't already exist universally.
    outlook lets you post date emails.... i tried it once, and it failed...so user be ware
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    81 wrote:

No