college studies - aversion towards rereading

IT237515IT237515 Posts: 30
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello forum!

I am writing here hoping we could share on the difficulty to stay motivated for school. I have a summer long distance general course in philosphy I. I need to reread Socrate's trial to answer comprehension questions. I have an aversion to the idea of rereading the text I only read once so far.
Do you know why that might be? I've had this for years now. It's really debilitating.
I wish I could enjoy studies more. Often I think of celebrities like Pearl Jam members and others and think how lucky they are : they got social exposure that kept them alive and full of motivation cause they see things in a different more wide perspective. It's true though they were closer to risks and bad influences too.
What do you think?
IT
Winston Churchill: 'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PapPap Posts: 28,772
    You have the honour to study one of our philosophers. Is there any bigger motivation than that?! Every human being, that wants to know how this world operates, should read Greek philosophy. I would recommend you to start reading more of them, once you've done with Socrates. But, revisiting such great books is always a pleasure! Everytime, you're going to learn something new!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    IT237515 wrote:
    ...they see things in a different more wide perspective...
    IT

That's the whole point in why you're reading. It's a challenging read that you're not comprehending off the first try and that's something you're likely not used to, coming out of high school. Pair that with having the Gen-Y attention span and need for instant gratification, and you end up with this aversion.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    IT237515 wrote:
    Hello forum!

I am writing here hoping we could share on the difficulty to stay motivated for school. I have a summer long distance general course in philosphy I. I need to reread Socrate's trial to answer comprehension questions. I have an aversion to the idea of rereading the text I only read once so far.
    Do you know why that might be? I've had this for years now. It's really debilitating.
    I wish I could enjoy studies more. Often I think of celebrities like Pearl Jam members and others and think how lucky they are : they got social exposure that kept them alive and full of motivation cause they see things in a different more wide perspective. It's true though they were closer to risks and bad influences too.
    What do you think?
    IT

Dude Socrates' trial is like the best part. Why don't you try reading it in a different book than the one you read it is? Also, how could you even understand it reading it only once? If I'm relying heavily on a particular text for a paper I'll read the portions I need 4 or 5 times throughout the writing process. Because your (well, my) brain is going to start thinking of other things and need I'll need to read it again to see if what I thought of was addressed.. if that makes sense.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435