Options

Welcome to the future: 3-D printable pizza

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
future food for the masses
or some really rich really high pot head

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post ... 1049357c75

Welcome to the future: 3-D printable pizza
A Texas company has won a $125,000 grant from NASA to develop technology that can print food from powder.

The last time we checked in on 3-D printing, it was being used to make print-at-home handguns. Now the hot technology is being adapted for a more benign purpose: making pizza.

NASA has awarded a $125,000 grant to a Texas company to build a food synthesizer that can mix food and print it out in layers using a 3-D printer. One of the easiest foods to print this way is pizza, because it can be created and cooked in layers.

The potential for this technology is far-reaching. NASA is interested because it could be a way to feed astronauts who spend decades in space. But the company behind the technology, Systems & Materials Research Corp., has more ambitious ideas. If this works, an engineer at the company told Quartz, every kitchen might have a 3-D printer creating meals from a base of powders.

Here's how it works: The printer takes its ingredients from attached canisters of powdered food and oils. It combines those ingredients in a mixing chamber and uses the 3-D printer to shape the food.

With a pizza, the dough is mixed from powders and printed as the first layer. It gets cooked as it is printed, according to Quartz. Then a layer of tomato sauce is mixed and added. And so on.

We're not talking gourmet food here. But as the world's population grows and food becomes scarcer, perhaps a plan to mix powders into something edible isn't so crazy.

"I think, and many economists think, that current food systems can't supply 12 billion people sufficiently," the engineer behind the technology told Quartz. "So we eventually have to change our perception of what we see as food."
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    As long as they don't put pineapple on it.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i'm holding out for this

hydratorblog.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    81 wrote:
    i'm holding out for this

hydratorblog.jpg
    Hey Black and Decker. You have two years and five months left to figure this out.

Your on the clock.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    do you eat it?

or do you hang it on your wall?
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    :fp: Leave it to NASA to think of that. They need a decent budget again. NASA should not be making pizza.

To any one here that has ever tried NASA pizza, you know like I know, the package it comes it is more edible.

It tastes like colored cardboard. This future looks not very tasty. :sick:
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    $125K seems pretty cheap to make a machine that can print pizza.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:
    $125K seems pretty cheap to make a machine that can print pizza.

I think Pizza Hut spent like 20 million to have a pizza delivered to the International Space Station once.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mysticweed wrote:
    "I think, and many economists think, that current food systems can't supply 12 billion people sufficiently," the engineer behind the technology told Quartz. "So we eventually have to change our perception of what we see as food."
    Despite the concept's potential - it really is intriguing - I find the bolded part up there so sad.

Given the ridiculous & shameful amount of wasted food all over (think buffet brunches, cruises, restaurants serving huge portions, craft service tables, "celebrity food demands", etc. as a start)...cut out such disregard for what others hold dear (and key to their survival) and a whole lot more people could be fed.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    It just doesn't seem right
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    hedonist wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:
    Despite the concept's potential - it really is intriguing - I find the bolded part up there so sad.

Given the ridiculous & shameful amount of wasted food all over (think buffet brunches, cruises, restaurants serving huge portions, craft service tables, "celebrity food demands", etc. as a start)...cut out such disregard for what others hold dear (and key to their survival) and a whole lot more people could be fed.

it is sad
    and it's getting worse
    as climate change heats up, farms will produce less and less
    and no
    $125K doesn't seem like nearly enough
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"