edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
who has em? who was one?

we just picked up a co-ed from UofI.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    I have two co-op student from Northeatern every six months. They do a great job for us.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    I was an intern at the ripe old age of 28. (I just never saw the benefit of working for someone for free.)

I grew weary of managing bookstores/record stores and decided to intern for a publishing house so that I could get a "real job" (i.e., do something related to my education).

Boy, do I miss those retail jobs now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :mrgreen:

:nono:
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I am one. Have had 3 internship experiences so far, loved 2, was alright with the other one. Got a summer internship coming up in a couple weeks and really really excited for it! Even though I'll be spending a fortune on commuting, the experience will be very much worth it.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    When I worked with the government, we had them all the time, mostly from Drexel.

Now, we have one, from LaSalle, he was a former employee, came back as an intern to finish up his committment.

They're good to have; but it takes time to show them the ropes, which kind of defeats the purpose of them helping sometimes.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    they have them on capitol hill. they do all sorts of things. :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I was one and I've supervised a bunch of them. Interns are great. I like being able to mentor people in the field and we wouldn't be able to run our programs without them. It's nice to have a pool of people already trained in the job when an opening becomes available. They already know if they'll like the job and you already know if they're a good fit.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Someday soon
  • shepshep Posts: 5,761
    the thing I don't understand about interns is why they're unpaid... seems like a real crapshoot to me..

while I was in engineering school I did about 1.5 years worth of coop internships, all of which were paid internships... of course some were better than others, but I don't understand why anyone would be willing to work for free... (well, apart from volunteering... and isn't that what an unpaid internship really is?).
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Someday soon

always bring doughnuts on the first day. always
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    shep wrote:
    the thing I don't understand about interns is why they're unpaid... seems like a real crapshoot to me..

while I was in engineering school I did about 1.5 years worth of coop internships, all of which were paid internships... of course some were better than others, but I don't understand why anyone would be willing to work for free... (well, apart from volunteering... and isn't that what an unpaid internship really is?).

They look phenomenal on your resume
    81 wrote:
    Someday soon

always bring doughnuts on the first day. always

What kind can I get you?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    cream filled long john
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    yes and yes.

was one for an accounting firm my senior year of college. it QUICKLY made me realize that Office Space was correct... humans are not meant to rot their lives away in a cubicle. it sucked and it was non-paid and only did it for writing on the resume. the lesson i learned about cubicle life was far more important than any money they would have thrown at me for the 8 months.

i get a couple of interns a year that i manage. they are usually good eggs that are happy to be "assisting" at a large hotel company in a downtown city. we have a pretty high hire rate which i guess is a bit skewed to a certain degree because we can place them in a job anywhere in the country, not just at my location.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    81 wrote:
    cream filled long john

whoa :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Dealt with them at my old job.

It makes me very very wary of those 'specialized schools' that you pay thousands to go to for a few months...well one school in particular. The people that they would send over... :shock: :o
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    shep wrote:

Yeah. Worked for me.

Most jobs for which I had been qualified at the time I was looking would not hire me because I had no professional experience on my resume. It didn't matter that I'd edited and produced literary journals associated with the schools that I had attended. Nor did it matter that I had edited more copy than I have ever done professionally while in school.

After interning, I got lots of interviews and landed a job in no time.

Again, I would probably go back to managing a bookstore in a heartbeat now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    shep wrote:

Yep - great experience that may otherwise be hard to get without already having some experience in the field. They're also a requirement for some programs.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Unfortunately an internship in a related field is a requirement for the program I'm in. I've tried everything I can think of to get out of it. No dice. So I will be looking for a paid internship for the fall semester. The fucked up thing is that despite the requirement, they don't have an arrangement with any organizations or even like a bulletin board type thing with listings. The conversation I had with the co-ordinator went like this:
    'nah you gotta find one yourself.'
    'doesn't the college have a department for job search assistance? would there be an internship co-ordinator of some kind there?'
    'Yea there's the career services office, but i wouldn't know about them or what they do - i've never heard of them finding internships for our students'
    'oh. ok'

:fp:

Of course all the places i'd like to work at don't do paid internships. And I just can't do an unpaid internship. How will I pay for PJ tickets and related expenses this fall? Priorities, man! :D
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    duska3419 wrote:
    Unfortunately an internship in a related field is a requirement for the program I'm in. I've tried everything I can think of to get out of it. No dice. So I will be looking for a paid internship for the fall semester. The fucked up thing is that despite the requirement, they don't have an arrangement with any organizations or even like a bulletin board type thing with listings. The conversation I had with the co-ordinator went like this:
    'doesn't the college have a department for job search assistance? would there be an internship co-ordinator of some kind there?'
    'Yea there's the career services office, but i wouldn't know about them or what they do - i've never heard of them finding internships for our students'
    'oh. ok'

Of course all the places i'd like to work at don't do paid internships. And I just can't do an unpaid internship. How will I pay for PJ tickets and related expenses this fall? Priorities, man! :D

One of the protesters in the OWS movement (remember that thing) had a sign that said "Fuck Your Unpaid Internship!"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    dankind wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:
    'oh. ok'

One of the protesters in the OWS movement (remember that thing) had a sign that said "Fuck Your Unpaid Internship!"

I'd be lying if I said my choice had nothing to do with principle, but for certain organization I would still consider it. The problem is mostly timing. I just can't do a full course load + unpaid internship + job + home life. There just aren't enough hours.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    shep wrote:

So does having work experience where people actually wanted to pay you for your skills.

The going away advice from my marketing prof was to never cut yourself short. Rarely are there circumstances where you should take an unpaid internship.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    shep wrote:

So does having work experience where people actually wanted to pay you for your skills.

The going away advice from my marketing prof was to never cut yourself short. Rarely are there circumstances where you should take an unpaid internship.

accounting major that held jobs waiting on tables and bartending while going to school doesn't scream hire me for that accounting/finance position you worked all college towards. the internship is a nice little boost and proven exposure that would get you hired over another college grad who doesn't have that internship on their resume.
    shep wrote:

I will take an unpaid internship in a congressional office before I take a paid one with Menards, if you know what I'm saying.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Their Useless

I will take an unpaid internship in a congressional office before I take a paid one with Menards, if you know what I'm saying.

Well duh, but why would you take an unpaid internship in lieu of a paid internship? What I'm saying is there's plenty of paid internships available to the point that it would be foolish to take an unpaid one.
    rival. wrote:

accounting major that held jobs waiting on tables and bartending while going to school doesn't scream hire me for that accounting/finance position you worked all college towards. the internship is a nice little boost and proven exposure that would get you hired over another college grad who doesn't have that internship on their resume.

I was hired on my accounting firm over other applicants because I had customer service skills from those sorts of jobs...you never know what they're looking for.

Well duh, but why would you take an unpaid internship in lieu of a paid internship? What I'm saying is there's plenty of paid internships available to the point that it would be foolish to take an unpaid one.

Because the unpaid one may be better than the paid one, as was implied in my previous post.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    My company pays the summer interns. A couple of postings say 18-24 an hour. Not too bad
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I've been one several times (it was required for university). The last one was unpaid for six months after I graduated, and a longtime job that defined what I do now came out of it. I was happy with how it worked out, but would never do such a long one unpaid again. They gave me a gratification afterwards because they liked what I did.
    In the course of that job, I've trained several interns too, and they were getting paid on our request. It can be a cool experience if they want it.