Options

Southern fan . . . better keep your head

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited May 2013 in A Moving Train
To classify all southerners as racist idiots is just as bigoted as the bigots apparently some would perceive us all to be.

Look in the mirror while you’re making generalizations about an entire group of people.

I admit my feelings were hurt by some of the words offered up from people whom I happen to hold in high regard.

I believe we would all agree that slavery is an abomination
Vikings marauded Slavic villages on a routine basis, enslaving the inhabitants.
The damned word slave is derived from Slavic
Now is everyone going to jump on a bandwagon and start bashing people of Nordic descent?
Of course not – it’s ridiculous

And another thing
For the roughly half of you out there who are men
You know NOTHING ABOUT discrimination
except to be highly likely guilty of sexual discrimination
I know it and you know it
What’s that? – why, it’s just another generalization

It’s simply wrong to make inane assumptions based on
Gender or gender preference or race or intelligence
or where someone was born

Shame on us all
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    mysticweed wrote:

Erm, didn't you just do exactly that?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Byrnzie wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

Erm, didn't you just do exactly that?

my point

you didn't quote
    "why, it's just a generalization"

changed it to another for the slower chauvinists
    (see, there's another generalization)
    Post edited by mysticweed on

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    What hurt your feelings?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What hurt your feelings?

it seems to me that the general consensus as of late is that all southerners are
    confederate flag-waving beer swilling nascar loving skynyrd fans

trust me i am none of those

and i don't believe all men are chauvinist pigs
    i was making a point!

and btw
    aside from the whole con-flag thing
    there's nothing wrong with those other things
    they're just not me

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    I thought this article was interesting:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322892/The-racist-map-America-Tweets-analyzed-offensive-keywords-reveal-hateful-parts-US-people-hated.html

After living in one of the red zones, and also outside of the red zone, I find some validity in it.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited May 2013
    Interesting Go Beavers.

Here is a link to the interactive maps (and in large). One can select a 'hate word' in the various categories.
    http://users.humboldt.edu/mstephens/hate/hate_map.html#

Though obviously this is a very limited 'study', there is a definite pattern when one looks at each word individually (or even each category as a whole).

Certain regions/states repeatedly in the red overall. So many factors involved - history, religion, inner city, high density population (or the opposite), attitudes....

As you, having lived both in the 'red' and the 'no colour', I do find some relevance in it but... what is the purpose of this study? Point a finger? Try to make this change? Any of our politicians interested in this?
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    redrock wrote:
    Point a finger? Try to make this change?
    I think it's a bit of both - in general :) .

We're all subjected to stereotypes and finger-pointing. In the former, there sometimes is truth - sometimes. But also exaggerated.

My guy lived in SC for several years and did come across many of the "y'all" types. Also came to know some really decent down-to-earth people. Could say the same for LA; look to your left and view a glut of fake tits. To the right, weird lips and eyebrows that don't move. A general look-at-me-itis. And yet, amid and among that, is - yet again - salt of the earth.

I guess, in the end, just be yourself. Those who need or have to use a broad paintbrush will; those who are willing to see, hopefully will...and I'm aware that clarity shows both the good and the bad. And the in-between.

(pffft. I really have no clue and will use "it's Monday morning" as my disclaimer :mrgreen: )
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    mysticweed wrote:
    What hurt your feelings?

i strive to keep words from hurting
    but
    it seemed to me that the general consensus as of late is that all southerners are

trust me i am none of those

and i don't believe all men are chauvinist pigs
    i was making a point!

Give me a zipcode? ;) I make house calls. I've lived and am living about as far south as a Southerner can go.
    8-)
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    pulled-pork-sandwich-1.jpg

This is the Greatest thing to come out of the South!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWPQeBQj2dFRGNnhG4lYk2Fmz7BqIjI7toU9PYIX9EXWgO__Ei
    fixed

;)
  • Options

ah my tolerant and temperate BJ

and there is serious disagreement from state to state about sauce
    i haven't eaten pig in over 10 years
    but the thick, sweet sauce was the best

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    mysticweed wrote:
    it seems to me that the general consensus as of late is that all southerners are

Who said that? I believe many of us were arguing that the Confederate flag is a symbol of slavery and racism.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

Who said that? I believe many of us were arguing that the Confederate flag is a symbol of slavery and racism.

And what's wrong with Lynyrd Skynyrd?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

yes most of us were
    still
    there were several derogatory remarks made about the south and southerners in general and my puny attempts at contradicting them were disregarded
    just being able to express myself has taken out much of the sting
    that
    and a picture of BBQ

• Options
    edited May 2013
    vant0037 wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:

And what's wrong with Lynyrd Skynyrd?

oh fuck me
    i went back to that
    nothing's wrong with skynyrd or nascar (although that's debatable) or beer

• Options
    mysticweed wrote:

ah my tolerant and temperate BJ

and there is serious disagreement from state to state about sauce
    i haven't eaten pig in over 10 years
    but the thick, sweet sauce was the best

North Carolina does it the Right way! Why wouldn't you eat pig? Oh that picture has me drooling.
  • Options
    yep north carolina sweet sauce
    i haven't eaten flesh at all in about seven years, but pig was the first to go long before
    if you're ever on the fence about eating meat
    work near a chicken plant
    :sick:

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mysticweed wrote:
    i haven't eaten flesh at all in about seven years, but pig was the first to go long before

Lol. In the "worst job ever" thread, mine was and still is my summer at a chicken farm.
  • Options
    mysticweed wrote:

It's one of those things, it's obviously the right thing to do but i wont.
    I'll probably be reincarnated as veal as punishment.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    As someone who was saying harsh things about the south in that original thread, I will say that much of my harshness has to do with frustration. I am frustrated being a southerner and always being depicted as some backwoods redneck that is intolerant and full of hate. I know much of that comes from the media but if you aren't well-acquainted with the south or southerners (and isn't that true of anywhere?) you have a tendency to believe those stereotypes. And in all honesty, I do find a lot of subtle racism amongst my friends and family (and if I'm to be honest, then I have my moments as well :oops: ). I think having the conversation about racism is a good thing - hard to do, hard to hear things that might be harsh truths, but ultimately I think it could clear away those misconceptions. Of course, conversations that sensitive are easier to have in person because then you can read those emotions, like frustration, that aren't always clear when you're typing words and using emoticons to express yourself
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I agree that the sterotypes of southerners hold some validity--but only in SOME members of the population, just as with all 'stereotypes'. I was raised in NC, but my parents were transplanted here from Cleveland, OH right before I was born (people here called them 'damn yankees', and I was always seen as 'weird' because my parents had northern accents and whatnot). It all depends on the individual, and stereotypes or judgments, although everybody does it to a certain extent, are just that--judgments. Living here, I know, personally, MANY such individuals about which the OP speaks.. and they disgust me (but hey, I've also seen them in other parts of the country). Racism is definitely alive and well, folks (unfortunately). But that is not how I think, nor what I believe or how I was raised, and it infuriates me to be lumped into some category based merely on my geographical location (or my southern accent--which happens ALL the time). It's absurd, and ignorant. Some of us down here are somewhat worldly and educated and have an open mind (and there are just as many like me as there are those who aren't).. imagine that. :lol: Take THAT, honey boo boo. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    As someone who was saying harsh things about the south in that original thread, I will say that much of my harshness has to do with frustration. I am frustrated being a southerner and always being depicted as some backwoods redneck that is intolerant and full of hate. I know much of that comes from the media but if you aren't well-acquainted with the south or southerners (and isn't that true of anywhere?) you have a tendency to believe those stereotypes. And in all honesty, I do find a lot of subtle racism amongst my friends and family (and if I'm to be honest, then I have my moments as well :oops: ). I think having the conversation about racism is a good thing - hard to do, hard to hear things that might be harsh truths, but ultimately I think it could clear away those misconceptions. Of course, conversations that sensitive are easier to have in person because then you can read those emotions, like frustration, that aren't always clear when you're typing words and using emoticons to express yourself

People from the North are far more judgmental than people from the South. I

I feel this way because, it's happened to me. Sometimes (every time) , I've traveled North, humans I cross paths with are prejudice when they find out where I'm "from".

Any thing I say is discredited or dismissed because I'm obviously slow minded. It's often thought I ride a horse to work.

:lol: I have too many stereotype images about the North. For example, most of them are very rude, it's always really cold, no one can drive, and most of them use a lot of hair products.

I'm sure none of them are true. ;)

I only think of rude behavior because the Northerners I've meet that visit my South Backwoods country farm, display these manners. No one honks the horn of their car, where I'm from. If Honking is to be done, it's usually a WARNING, not a vulgar display of road rage.

Just watch videos from Pearl Jam Shows. I know I personally can't tell a difference between countries even.

It's sad the actions of a few individuals can impact an entire culture's image. I believe this is true for every culture.

North Carolina has been painted in a negative light. I thought it was full of Methamphetamine Chemists, and Hill dwelling folks with no shoes. :lol: It's actually very beautiful and the people are friendly.

I don't think the BBQ is anywhere close to Texas BBQ but I'm not starting that debate. ;)

(I don't own a farm, a horse or been to a backwoods. )

I have lived in two cities. Miami and Houston. They are a major Hub for immigrants. I've met more people from other countries than people born here. Immigrants eventually become Southerners. In the end we are all neighbors. I feel as though I never have to travel because of the influx of culture pouring through the borders.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:

People from the North are far more judgmental than people from the South. I

I feel this way because, it's happened to me. Sometimes (every time) , I've traveled North, humans I cross paths with are prejudice when they find out where I'm "from".
    I don't know about 'far more' judgmental, but I agree with this. My own cousins and family rag me constantly about the way I talk and what people 'down here' are like, and they don't have a clue.

STAYSEA wrote:
    :lol: I have too many stereotype images about the North. For example, most of them are very rude, it's always really cold, no one can drive, and most of them use a lot of hair products.
    this is hilarious. :lol: I only have my extended family to compare this to (who are also obnoxious Italians), but it's kind of true. I like the cold part.

STAYSEA wrote:
    :North Carolina has been painted in a negative light. I thought it was full of Methamphetamine Chemists, and Hill dwelling folks with no shoes. :lol: It's actually very beautiful and the people are friendly.

This is sad. The mountains have plenty of hill dwellers, which is cool. :) I didn't know NC was 'known' for meth freaks.. I thought that was more Kentucky and Tennessee. ;) This proves the misconceptions. It IS very beautiful, and I am proud to call it home (I must say that's mostly because of the nature aspect and the state being home to many fine universities). Sorry, had to represent. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    :North Carolina has been painted in a negative light. I thought it was full of Methamphetamine Chemists, and Hill dwelling folks with no shoes. :lol: It's actually very beautiful and the people are friendly.

This is sad. The mountains have plenty of hill dwellers, which is cool. :) I didn't know NC was 'known' for meth freaks.. I thought that was more Kentucky and Tennessee. ;) This proves the misconceptions. It IS very beautiful, and I am proud to call it home (I must say that's mostly because of the nature aspect and the state being home to many fine universities). Sorry, had to represent. :mrgreen:

See, you represented and to those of us that can read, we are wiser. :thumbup: :wave:
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:

See, you represented and to those of us that can read, we are wiser. :thumbup: :wave:
    :thumbup: 8-)
  • Options
    JBiiJBii Lake Spivey Posts: 354
    So I guess then all of us are individuals and should be seen as that anything less is an injustice.We learn from our own life experiences even if there are others who dispute them. We love and understand those we meet whatever color through shared experiences that others refuse to accept because their own experiences limits understanding. Where have I read this before oh yeah down the way a bit.I'm jealous of that BBQ we don't get that often enough.Maybe this holiday weekend.
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mysticweed wrote:
    To classify all southerners as racist idiots is just as bigoted as the bigots apparently some would perceive us all to be....

I agree. I was very pleasantly surprised when whilst in north carolina recently i made the acquaintance of a fellow from georgia who as it turns out was perhaps as liberal as I am. he was intelligent and thoughtful and not at all what I expected a southerner to be given the caricature that had been previously laid before me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say