Chili With Noodles

rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I know they call it Cincinnati style to put chili over spaghetti but I grew up eating chili that way. That is how it is often served in Green Bay as well. I like both but find the noodles help to make the chili easier on my stomach. What do you think? Also don't like chili with cubed beef, has to be ground. So you can keep your tri tip Texas.

:corn:
Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    We've always called this spaghetti red.. It's delicious.. I also like to put chili in mac'n cheese. Chili Mac. Yum yum!!
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Thats how I've always had it. Chili, Spaghetti, Crackers....all.day.long.

Just discovered that my Sister-in-Law puts Peanut Butter on her crackers & scoops the chili on it. Seems terrible, but gonna try it with my next batch.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    pjradio wrote:
    Thats how I've always had it. Chili, Spaghetti, Crackers....all.day.long.

Just discovered that my Sister-in-Law puts Peanut Butter on her crackers & scoops the chili on it. Seems terrible, but gonna try it with my next batch.

Seems like people are putting peanut butter on everything these days. I have learned to never knock it until you try it though. I will give it a try.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Also don't like chili with cubed beef, has to be ground. So you can keep your tri tip Texas.
    :

In all my life living in Texas, ground beef is the only way I've seen chili made. I've never even heard of chili with tri tip. Is that supposed to be our thing?
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Weirdos
    When I first read the title I thought maybe someone just got out of county jail with a spread recipe.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Sounds like something a drunken college student would do....
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Also don't like chili with cubed beef, has to be ground. So you can keep your tri tip Texas.
    :

In all my life living in Texas, ground beef is the only way I've seen chili made. I've never even heard of chili with tri tip. Is that supposed to be our thing?
    Same here. It might be coarsely ground beef but it's definitely ground. I grew up eating chili all the time and I've never heard of tri tip either.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    mca47 wrote:

red sauce, meat, tomatoes, spices...yeah, sounds ridiculous to add spaghetti to it...c'mon
    aqo2t.jpg
    :

Same here. It might be coarsely ground beef but it's definitely ground. I grew up eating chili all the time and I've never heard of tri tip either.

Every chili cook off show I have seen they often use tri tip for the chili and it is always someone form Texas or Oklahoma. I tried a recipe with it and didn't like it so that is where that comment came from.
    pjradio wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

red sauce, meat, tomatoes, spices...yeah, sounds ridiculous to add spaghetti to it...c'mon

Like I said, don't knock it until you've tried it. I like it both ways so it doesn't really matter to me how it is served. It also helps cut the spiciness if the chili is hot. I definitely think it has to be spaghetti though not macaroni.
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    pjradio wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Will, care to comment? :?:

Never even heard of this :think: Definitely weirdos :?
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    pjradio wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

:lol: Whatever. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnatiChili.htm I am from Wisconsin and that is a ridiculous amount of cheese. I just sprinkle a little on with some onions.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    pjradio wrote:

:lol: Whatever. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnatiChili.htm I am from Wisconsin and that is a ridiculous amount of cheese. I just sprinkle a little on with some onions.
    :shock: That pile of cheese is insane! Where' s the chili under that? :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"

:shock: That pile of cheese is insane! Where' s the chili under that? :lol:

I dont know. Thats the Cincinnati style. Ive never seen that around here. Around here its a cup or bowl with spaghetti on the bottom and chili cheese and onions on top.

Every chili cook off show I have seen they often use tri tip for the chili and it is always someone form Texas or Oklahoma. I tried a recipe with it and didn't like it so that is where that comment came from.
    I checked Wikipedia to correct my ignorance and here's a few excerpts:
    The tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin primal cut.[1] It is a small triangular muscle, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. (675 to 1,150g) per side of beef.

(Blah blah woof woof, more info on how it's prepared in different places then this:)

Tri-tip has also become a popular cut of meat for producing chili con carne on the competitive chili cooking circuit, supplanting ground beef because the low fat content produces little grease, for which judges take off points.
    Since I make chili at home and not on the "competitive chili cooking circuit" now I understand why I never heard of this. I've never met a competitive chili cook either. Sounds like a weird way to make a living.

I've also eaten Cincinnati chili (when I visited Cincinnati, duh!) and it was pretty good. The spaghetti with it was all right but the chili wasn't spicy enough for me.
    Tri-tip has also become a popular cut of meat for producing chili con carne on the competitive chili cooking circuit, supplanting ground beef because the low fat content produces little grease, for which judges take off points..

Who are the veggie-chili eating dipshits judging chili cook-offs these days that take off points for grease? What's next, some beer bellied redneck trying to serve up Chili and risotto on a bed of baby lettuce atop a NASCAR plate?
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Never had that
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    It's really good with pickles
    It's really good with pickles

Alright, now that sounds weird.
    Who are the veggie-chili eating dipshits judging chili cook-offs these days that take off points for grease? What's next, some beer bellied redneck trying to serve up Chili and risotto on a bed of baby lettuce atop a NASCAR plate?
    Hells yeah. I brown the meat in olive oil and butter. How can you have chili without grease?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Its strange but it works. Love me a four-way.
    Cincinnati chili emphasizes the cinnamon and other spices rather than the chili powder or cumin.

Have it few times and you will end up craving it.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Skyline Chili is the place I've been to in Cincy. It's the fast food version, but it hits the spot.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Its strange but it works. Love me a four-way.
    Cincinnati chili emphasizes the cinnamon and other spices rather than the chili powder or cumin.

Have it few times and you will end up craving it.

OK, I didn't realize it was spiced differently. I have had sweet chili with the cinnamon and absolutely hated it. So I guess GB chili is traditional ground chili with spaghetti, shredded cheddar and onions then.

Found this video from local news at Chili Johns. Its an ancient chili place around here. They explain where the noodle idea comes from. Love the older lady with the beehive hairdo, you betcha. :lol: Krolls is another local place that is famous for the noodle chili.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuVINpkR ... =endscreen