Seeking advice/info regarding detached retina

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,651
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Just yesterday my wife was diagnosed with a detached retina in her left eye and goes in for surgery Monday.

If any of you have experience/knowledge regarding the recuperation period I'd be most grateful to hear from you. We're pretty freaked out because she will very likely never see through that eye as well again. The immediate concern is getting through the first two weeks. For the first ten days she has to stay in a face-down position (lying down or sitting) for all but a few hours a day and then 4 days of face down half the day. Just the thought of this is unsettling and it's not me that has to be face down for so long.

Also of great concern, she was told that for the first two months she cannot go above 1800 feet elevation and we live at 2200 feet. We're still trying to figure that one out and the clock is ticking.

I'm off to work but thanks in advance for any info any of you might have. I'll check back in this evening. Thanks so much.

Brian
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    That's brutal man, sorry I don't have any experience or knowledge in the procedure, but I hope all goes well. You might want to invest in a massage table to make her more comfortable lying face down after the procedure. I wish you both the best of luck and I hope all goes well.
    FC38D549-6029-4CB4-B4D1-68712562DC4E-454-000000F3E50AB750.jpg
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    Brian, I am so sorry to hear that. I don't have tons of information I'm afraid. I have thin retinas, which are more prone to detachment, so it has always been something that concerns me. I know that it is considered a medical emergency, and I was worried when I heard they weren't going to do surgery until Monday until I did a little research. I guess there are two types of detachments, one that requires immediate surgery to save sight, and one that can be done within a week. I didn't read anything about needing to be prone during recovery, and a massage table did come to mind when I read that was what they were recommending to your wife. My best suggestion is to write your questions down as they come to the two of you and make sure you get them all answered before leaving the office. Doctors and nurses are human and may sometimes think they have answered all your questions even though that is not necessarily the case. Don't worry about offending them, just advocate for your wife. That is what they should ultimately want for their patient as well. Best wishes for the two of you.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    brianlux wrote:
    Just yesterday my wife was diagnosed with a detached retina in her left eye and goes in for surgery Monday.

If any of you have experience/knowledge regarding the recuperation period I'd be most grateful to hear from you. We're pretty freaked out because she will very likely never see through that eye as well again. The immediate concern is getting through the first two weeks. For the first ten days she has to stay in a face-down position (lying down or sitting) for all but a few hours a day and then 4 days of face down half the day. Just the thought of this is unsettling and it's not me that has to be face down for so long.

Also of great concern, she was told that for the first two months she cannot go above 1800 feet elevation and we live at 2200 feet. We're still trying to figure that one out and the clock is ticking.

I'm off to work but thanks in advance for any info any of you might have. I'll check back in this evening. Thanks so much.

Brian

wow Brian that's terrible!

well, there's lots of stuff on the internet about it. I personally have no experiences to share with you.

Will you have to stay at a hotel? Since its medically necessary, is there some type of recovery facility she could stay at? I'd ask.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    Best wishes, Brian. Can't really help you out, but you guys will be in our thoughts.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Brian, I know this is a frightening prospect. I recently had eye problems and there was concern that it was a detached retina. I was fortunate that it wasn't but it scared the crap out of me!

A good friend went through this a few years ago. He also was very anxious at that time and surprised that they waited a couple of days for surgery. The recovery process was frustrating for him. I remember him complaining about keeping his head down and later he had to wear a patch for a short time. He was also very frustrated that he couldn't drive for a while. But when it was all over he was doing great and very relieved that it had been taken care of.

I'll be thinking about you and your wife on Monday and sending you good vibes for all the best. :)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    My brother went through this (diabetic). It's as bad as it sounds. Two weeks of lying face down, he was allowed up about 30 minutes a day for 10 minute periods to go to the bath room, shower, and the occasional meal (main meals were soup and stuff through straws or whatever he could eat face down).

He bought one of the massage chair style pillows to cradle his face and had to have someone around practically all the time for assistance.

For activities it was listening to movies, and music, and having friends come over to hang out.

Also he was given steroids that you take in eye-drop form for recovery. These turned him into an asshole and very short fused during the process....so beware.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I hope all goes well for your wife, that would be hard to do, to stay face down. I know one lady from work and she said her mom had to be face down. Otherwise, I think it was a success.

Since I drive for long periods, I'm into audio books from the library. I reserve them online, sometimes it takes a week for them to get back to me. But I would try that to give her something to listen to. You might be able to download free audio books from the library of congress.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,651
    Thanks for good thought and ideas, everybody. I'll pass them along to Celia- she will appreciate the kind words! :)

I'm told that because she is near-sighted she was more prone to having retina detachment. If it had been caught a few days earlier she could have had a much easier procedure and not the 10 day face-down thing. If any of you are near-sighted and ever get any kind of blind spot in your vision, go in right away and have your eyes checked- it might save you some huge headaches! We missed out by just a day or two. :(

Thanks again, everyone!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Celia has her eye surgery today. Wishing my sweetheart good luck and speedy recovery.

My thoughts are with you and your dear wife. Hoping for a speedy recovery and a positive outcome. :)
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    ooh, thats sounds scary. :( Best of luck to her Brian!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    keep us posted Brian
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Remember one of our first discussions?

I lost my eyesight for 6 months. You lost your hearing.

We talked about which was worse....

What ever happens we get through it. You need to get her some where in a lower elevation after she's stable.

I had to take pills to reduce the pressure and inflammation. You can read to her and she can tell you about music she hears. Now, that is team work! :D

She's going to have nerd glasses like me and my friend I mentioned. But you won't love her any less. ;)

:geek: hopefully not more than 2 pairs.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    My thoughts are with you and your dear wife. Hoping for a speedy recovery and a positive outcome. :)
    Echoing this!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I had a detached retina and had surgery a few years back.

The surgeon said I was very lucky that my OD did a really thorough job at my yearly eye exam-didn't have to do the whole laying down for 10 days. I didn't notice any blind spots or have any vision problems, actually it was in my 'good eye'.

Basically I went in, they gave me a Xanax, and had me lay down for a bit. Then they had me gown-up, and put numbing drops in my eye, and some atropine (it keeps your eye dilated) stuck that thing that holds your eye open in, and sat me down at the laser machine. 20-30 minutes later, they sent me home. I was awake thru the whole thing.

I am nearsighted, but he said my detachment was caused by trauma... :?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i would not use thread and needle for this procedure.

hope all works out well for the Mrs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Thank you, everyone! It's been a mammoth long day but all went well. The doc was very satisfies with how it went. Recovery will be long and hard but Celia's a strong lady. Thanks all for well wishes thoughts and ideas!

Brian

brianlux wrote:
    Thank you, everyone! It's been a mammoth long day but all went well. The doc was very satisfies with how it went. Recovery will be long and hard but Celia's a strong lady. Thanks all for well wishes thoughts and ideas!

Brian
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad today went well. And I hope each day is a bit better than the last and Celia is up and around again soon.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    So, We all need to collectively send them well wishes or not at all.

The response has been over whelming. I wish this club could do something awesome for Brian and Celia, and it doesn't involve phones, internet, or messages.

Bills add up. Group card? Care package?

Brian never wants or needs anything. Celia likes country music, I think.

I have few ideas. PM me if you have any ideas to ease this bump in the road.

I know they both like books....

I have a few audio books. I don't know if she would like them.

Can we help Lux?
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Good to hear all went well, Brian and that the docs are happy with everything! Hope you had all your questions answered and that you two are a lot more confident going into Celia's recovery. Hopefully she is as patient as she is strong!!!

All the best....
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    :thumbup:
    Day two (well, 3 since it's almost 1 am)-- post op visit, doc says all's well so far. The amazing Dr. M, she did a great job-- saved my sweetheart left eye! Celia's recovery going as as well as we could hope. Very thankful she still has her left eye. Must sleep now.

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    :thumbup:

night night...
    brianlux wrote:
    Day two (well, 3 since it's almost 1 am)-- post op visit, doc says all's well so far. The amazing Dr. M, she did a great job-- saved my sweetheart left eye! Celia's recovery going as as well as we could hope. Very thankful she still has her left eye. Must sleep now.
    Awesome news Brian! :thumbup:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    brianlux wrote:

8-) good to hear she is doing well.

do you have to wear an eye patch during recovery?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    brianlux wrote:

good to hear
    give her our well wishes
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    get well, mrs. brian!

go giants! ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Brutal, man. Brutal.

Hang in there

All my best to you and your wife.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Brian, glad the news is good after such a terrible scare.
    Celia, I hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly! I'm glad you've got Brian to take care of you, we all know what a good guy he is. :D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Quick update on my sweetheart. Celia had her first glimpse of vision in her repaired eye for the first time since surgery- fuzzy vision to be sure but that's to be expected. She was about to cry with joy but she's not supposed to cry so I said, "Don't cry or I will talk like Bruno (AKA Sacha Baron Cohen) and make you laugh. :lol:

Thanks for good thoughts, good vibes everyone!