Bea Arthur topless painting sells for nearly $2M

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/bea_ar ... kHWW0oPdSK

Bea Arthur topless painting sells for nearly $2M
By NATALIE O'NEILL
Last Updated: 10:16 PM, May 15, 2013

It’s Golden Girls... gone wild!
A topless painting of actress Bea Arthur — famous for her role as Dorothy on the TV show “Golden Girls” — sold for nearly $2 million at a Christie’s auction in Manhattan tonight.
Artist John Currin’s controversial “Bea Arthur Naked” — which depicts the elderly star with a blank expression and bare sagging breasts — was purchased by an anonymous bidder over the phone for $1.9 million.
Currin, a painter who lives in Brooklyn, is known for campy works featuring women in provocative positions.
Some his portraits feature scantily clad woman, others are more dignified such as Nobel Prize-winning author Nadine Gordimer.
But the bare-breasted Bea Arthur piece, which the former “Maude” actress never actually sat for, was derided as misogynist by critics when it came out.
Some writers even urged art lovers to boycott Currin’s shows in the early 90s. But his work is now widely acclaimed and hangs in museums such as the Whitney.
A Christie’s spokesman called the painting “visually lasting.”
“It’s historically significant — it’s radical to sexualize someone people think of as asexual,” spokesman Koji Inoue said.
He added, “The painting has a visual toughness to it — but it’s also fun.”
“Bea Arthur Naked” first stirred controversy in 1991, when critics blasted it for being sexist and misogynistic.
Others argued it was actually a feminist statement about confidence and age.
The New Yorker described the series that includes the portrait as “acrid fantasy portraits of menopausal women.”
Christie’s Post-War and Contemporary art sale also featured paintings by Jackson Pollock and Roy Lichtenstein at 20 Rockefeller Center in Midtown.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    boobs
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    T
    O
    P
    L
    E
    S
    S
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    That's HOT!!! :o :shock:
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    The police should keep an eye on that buyer. He probably saw "Airheads" and is trying to build up an insanity defense for some future trial.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    wait, what? :|
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,667
    I couldn't resist
    i was always a big fan of Maude but not so much of Golden Girls
    But then I did have $2 million burning a hole in my pockets so I thought what the hell!!

:lol:
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,667
    edited May 2013
    :corn: :ugeek: :shock: :o :?
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • john roachjohn roach Posts: 80
    Nice!
    John Roach
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    it's actually really good..not sure it's $2m good but it's good.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    :shock: at the pic
    and
    :shock: at the price
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    mysticweed wrote:
    and

to me, it deconstructs such a talented, dead-pan comedic actress. she's so stoic and serious yet she's lovely and fucking confident. she's saying i dont care if you see my old tits becuase im bea fucking authur, bitches
    davidtrios wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:
    and

to me, it deconstructs such a talented, dead-pan comedic actress. she's so stoic and serious yet she's lovely and fucking confident. she's saying i dont care if you see my old tits becuase im bea fucking authur, bitches
    Very deep
    davidtrios wrote:
    mysticweed wrote:
    and

:lol::lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    It's not like she sat for the portrait - hell, you could also say the same had he painted Jean Stapleton or Mother Theresa or Ruth Gordon or Alice from the Brady Bunch.

(and why overlook the plethora of elderly so-called-asexual males to choose from, hmmm?)

That said, it was very strange seeing Maude with no top on...almost like I shouldn't be seeing her like that at all, if that makes sense.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    Anyone remember the movie "Airheads"?

(demanding weird stuff from the cops)
    Chazz: No.13 Naked picture of Bea Arthur
    cop: excuse me?
    Chazz: Bea Arthur from the Golden Girls

(later)
    Jimmie Wing: Bea Arthur?... Outstanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtIOup0nFhs

:lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Of ALL the Golden Girls she was the one I thought was the sexiest. Then again maybe I just fell for that voice of hers. Not a bad painting at all.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Of ALL the Golden Girls she was the one I thought was the sexiest. Then again maybe I just fell for that voice of hers. Not a bad painting at all.

Peace

Blanche was too slutty for ya? :think: :lol:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    jimmy kimmel bought it and gave it to jeff ross....if you believe jeff's twitter
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    edited May 2013
    norm wrote:
    jimmy kimmel bought it and gave it to jeff ross....if you believe jeff's twitter

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/realjef ... w/15347291
    34godc1.jpg
    Post edited by pjradio on
    aqo2t.jpg
    pjradio wrote:
    norm wrote:

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/realjef ... w/15347291
    Wow. Look at those cans