Going to San Antonio - 1st Time

BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,675
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So Heading to San Antonio this coming Sunday for a convention and leaving the following Saturday. Have prolly 2 days to spend with the wife to look around and check things out.
I will be staying downtown at the Marriott and won't be renting a car. So just looking for some ideas or things to check out. We are going to check out the Alamo on Monday (like my history stuff) and seeing if there is some other stuff that is worth looking at or to eat at.
What are some good BBQ places to eat at? I figure I'm in Texas, I need my fix of some smoked ribs or a great place for a steak.
Getting to play golf at the TPC San Antonio AT&T Oaks course. Anyone ever play there?Looks awesome

The weather looks like its going to be very HOT
2005 - London
2009 - Toronto
2010 - Buffalo
2011 - Toronto 1&2
2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
2018 - Fenway 1&2
2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
2023 - Chicago 1&2
2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Was in San Antonio once, about 20 yrs ago. The only thing I remember was going to the Alamo and saying "that's it?" Much smaller than you think.

I was in and out for a concert, so didn't have time to really explore the city.

Have a good time
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    636x460design_01.jpg
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I second that. Check out the basement in the Alamo.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,776
    Check out the great Tim Duncan & company.... If you're into that sort of thing ;)

If they beat GS they will prob play Memphis in the western conf finals.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The best ribs I've ever had were in Gruene, TX at a place called The Gristmill.

It's about a 40 minute drive from San Antonio. Which is a short drive per Texas standards. And well worth it.

http://www.gristmillrestaurant.com/
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    There's a boat ride you can take by the "River Walk". I think we took that the day we went to the Alamo. There are restaurants and shops down by the river too.

Here's a good website about it.
    http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    river walk and the alamo are the only things i remember being able to walk to.

i don't recall seeing a bbq joint, but lots of mexican places.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I went there over 20 years ago...I saw:

*The Alamo
    *the River Walk
    *Sea World

and that's it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Posts: 555
    I have been to San Antonio probably 10 times or so and the area you will be in is basically a mall, a winding river, the Alamo, and some chain restaurants. It is fun to eat outside at the Hard Rock Cafe and people watch in the evening though. Do not be fooled into thinking County Line is a good BBQ place. Take one of the Riverboat rides and check everything out. The Alamo, unless you want to read a whole lot, is about a 30 minute tour. There is also a mall attached to this area. San Antonio has a great zoo if you are into that kind of thing, and you should also check out the Tower of the Americas at HemisFair Park. I can't honestly say I have ever had great food in San Antonio. Especially on the RiverWalk.

http://visitsanantonio.com/
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Walk along the riverwalk and take the riverwalk boat ride. Are you at the Riverwalk Marriott? If so, I believe the boat ride starts near there. The rivercenter mall is also close by.

Check out the Hemisfair Park area and go up the Tower of the Americas.

Check out the Historic Market Square area and "El Mercado"

San Antonio isn't really a BBQ town, and a lot of the stuff downtown is more geared towards tourists, but is still pretty cool. If you do end up having a car, check out Rosario's for mexican food.

Most people only know The Alamo, but there are 4 other missions in San Antonio if you're into history. I have heard they are better than The Alamo. I think there are tours you could take that would get you to them without needing a car. I think you can also rent a bike and bike to them if you're into biking but it will probably be hot.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... Texas.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... Texas.html

Mission San Jose is the largest of the 5 missions: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... Texas.html There is also a tripadvisor page for each of the others.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Texas!! :D
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,675
    Hey thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated.
    Gonna maybe check into the Towers of America, I'm sure the wife will like as well. Prolly gonna have to leave friday open for shopping with the wife :fp: I'm sure were gonna be checking out the riverwalk as well
    Thought about the basketball game, but wife isn't into that and don't think she'll like that if I leave her behind :lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2