Options

What Do You 'Do' At PJ Shows?

Boom The CatBoom The Cat Posts: 482
edited November 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
I ask because I don't know!

With Metal concerts you'd headbang, at nightclubs you'd dance, but what are you supposed to do at a PJ gig? Sit down? Jump around? Are there any dos and don'ts?
no matter where you go,
there you are.

- brain of c
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i usually sit in the back and watch all the old people in the first 60 rows.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    You do whatever you want to do, as long as it doesn't stop anyone else from having a good time. Don't pay much attention to what you're supposed to do...just do what you want to do.

I've seen peoeple who just stand there. People who jump around. People who dance. People who just nod their heads and tap their feet. People who sing at the top of their lungs. Just...whatever.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764

With Metal concerts you'd headbang, at nightclubs you'd dance, but what are you supposed to do at a PJ gig? Sit down? Jump around? Are there any dos and don'ts?

I like to just simply go fucking nuts!!

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    abbeyjessabbeyjess Posts: 111
    get down the front,get stamped on, drink lots of larger,smoke me brains out,watch the show....after show the same!!!!!!
    paris96,manchester2000,astoria2006,dublin2006,
    london2007,copenhagen2007,shepards bush empire 2009,
    rotterdam 2009,manchester 2009,london 2009.belfast 2010,berlin 2010.
  • Options
    edveddedvedd Posts: 152
    jump around with people in the pit, sing as much as you can and just enjoy youself
  • Options
    I love to sing along when they play DTE! It's always great!
    Drunken Butterfly
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Spend half the show looking around to see where my mates are.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    last year i went to 2 shows, Sydney 1 and sydney 3. Sydney 1, i sat there singing everything, tapping my feet moving my head, i had a great time. Sydney 3 i thought i will really get into this, so i stood up and jumped around for the whole concert. I figured i would stand up for it because apparently sydney 2 crowd was bad, so if i stood up at sydney3 then it might cause the people behind me to stand up then the ppl behind them, anyway it was awesome best concert ever....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    last year i went to 2 shows, Sydney 1 and sydney 3. Sydney 1, i sat there singing everything, tapping my feet moving my head, i had a great time. Sydney 3 i thought i will really get into this, so i stood up and jumped around for the whole concert. I figured i would stand up for it because apparently sydney 2 crowd was bad, so if i stood up at sydney3 then it might cause the people behind me to stand up then the ppl behind them, anyway it was awesome best concert ever....
    I love your sig. It was so funny when he said that!
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    i usually sit in the back and watch all the old people in the first 60 rows.

we're not that old! only in our early to mid 40s...it's still pretty lively up there, but it should be interesting in another 10-15 years! ;)
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I like to sing and dance as much as possible. Just totally let loose.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    I don`t dance much, and I don`t jump that much.. But I sing like it`s the last day of my life.. I like to just stand and see the guys play.. Maybe I`m a but booring;)
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • Options
    If it's a slow opener, i stand there and just sing along to the music with my arms in the air. After that, i'm just a nutcase. I jump up and down, wave my arms around, sing so loud!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    AndiMAndiM Posts: 102
    Mixing with the older people in front and letting things happen to me ;-). Oh and indeed having much fun.
  • Options
    My first show was Lollapalooza in Chicago and I was jumping around, singing, pumping my fist, even if I was sweating to death in the humidity.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Hinny wrote:
    Spend half the show looking around to see where my mates are.
    Why?
    just look up front where we are going nuts!
  • Options

at my only Pearl Jam gig until now, this were my actions

jump
    sing-scream
    smoke
    cry
    laugh
    breath
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • Options
    Okay, thats cool, but what are the absolute Do's And DO NOT's?
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • Options
    DO have a good time doing whatever makes u happy.

DO NOT use the flash on your camera if you're in the first 20 rows!!!
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    upina2001 wrote:
    I like to just simply go fucking nuts!!
    that about sums it up ;)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options

I recommend the human pogo stick

I can't seem to shake that thang...
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    abbeyjess wrote:
    get down the front,get stamped on, drink lots of larger,smoke me brains out,watch the show....after show the same!!!!!!

This man has the right idea...end of discussion.
    There's no more to be said .. well said my friend!
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Pegasus wrote:
    Why?
    just look up front where we are going nuts!
    You lot are the easy ones. There'd be others who'd be all over the place.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I love your sig. It was so funny when he said that!

Thanks tiger, it was just one great moment of one great night. One i don't think i will ever forget.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options

if you care about do's and don't's you're missing the entire point I'm afraid :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    we're not that old! only in our early to mid 40s...it's still pretty lively up there, but it should be interesting in another 10-15 years! ;)
    Well I'm 27 and I've been front row for 4 out of my 7 concerts, 2 more I was 2nd row and the 7th concert was the furthest back I was all the way back in 4th row :eek:

GA's a good thing :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Well I'm 27 and I've been front row for 4 out of my 7 concerts, 2 more I was 2nd row and the 7th concert was the furthest back I was all the way back in 4th row :eek:

GA's a good thing :)
    High Five!

and I'm almost a decade older!
  • Options
    I like to dance around and sing when I'm at my house, but when I get there I'm never right up on the stage so I just don't feel comfortable acting like an idiot. I usually just kinda stand there and just enjoy the music. Especially because, for me, it's a rarity seeing PJ I've only seen them twice so I'd much rather hear Eddie than myself.
  • Options
    ycckkycckk Posts: 23
    well since i'm one of those old people i think..since i turned 36 today, here's what i do. As you get older jumping around a PJ concert doesn't cut it really. i save that for heavier bands where a "pit " is necessary. I never understood people jumping into each other at a PJ concert....i don't think "there a band that needs that, plus the style of music doesn't deem it necessary".
    Keep in mind i've seen them since the VS. tour up to now.

First rule.

1) find out when beer sales end....nothing wrong with doulbe-fisting...or getting a nice supply with you...so it gets you to Yellow Ledbetter.

2) You'll get a bunch of kids around you going nuts...realize..thats "OK" you've been there..done that. Nothing wrong with watching the one "idiot" come up to you..wanting to be your friend..realzing there 21...and just thinking...."gosh your young............TEN came out when you where like 6 years old. And thinking you missed the grunge stage...and you just heard about this band ...at RIOT ACT OR AVACCADO.

3) Older you get..you give up the "substances"...........park yourself next to a 21 year old that has a hot chick.....BACK TO THE OLD DAYS!!!!!

4) Just like driving a car.......your the best singer in the house!!!!! Who cares if you screw up the lyrics. Volume does wonders.

5) Leaving the show.....thinking ...i should have bought tickets for the next night.

6) And the last thing...........hoping this isn't the LAST show you ever see of them!!! That would be horrible.
  • Options

my god in heaven
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com