The City of Detroit

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
why would anyone ever want to go there, on purpose?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsjVpN2ZgI
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    because you can apparently rent a 3 bedroom place for $67 a month :lol:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/apa/3802640384.html

or buy the place across the street for $20K.

man, what a shit hole of a city.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Alabama Whirley went there to find true love.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    rival. wrote:

holy crap :shock:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    detroit has a wild dog epidemic. actually many generations of detroit city wild dogs have not ever lived with people.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    davidtrios wrote:

she's right.
    www.myspace.com
    davidtrios wrote:

she's right.
    she's awesome.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Red Wings Hockey is the main draw for me.

It was eye opening the first time I went there. I could not believe a city like that existed in America.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i have a sudden desire to become a slum lord. where is Cav....i need help picking decent hoods.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i have a sudden desire to become a slum lord. where is Cav....i need help picking decent hoods.
    get prepared to gunfight & shit

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:
    get prepared to gunfight & shit

as my new business partner....cav will be in charge of property mgmt
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Well, well ... I moved there on purpose. For love :) You have to know though that people do not really live "in" the city, but rather in the suburbs. Yes, it is not the most peaceful place on earth, but I think it is a pretty interesting, and in parts hauntingly beautiful city. And I don't just say that because I moved here. I wanted to visit it when I first came to vacation in the States for PJ20. There is a lot of shit going on, but there is also a lot of potential. And Chicago is not heaven on earth either ;)

PBS is showing a Detroit documentary at the moment, by the way. Sounds pretty interesting. Maybe you want to check it out: http://www.detropiathefilm.com. I will.

Oh, and GO RED WINGS!
    And Chicago is not heaven on earth either ;)

yeah...no kidding... lot of shit hole hoods here....and that's just in the government offices
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Well, well ... I moved there on purpose. For love :) You have to know though that people do not really live "in" the city, but rather in the suburbs. Yes, it is not the most peaceful place on earth, but I think it is a pretty interesting, and in parts hauntingly beautiful city. And I don't just say that because I moved here. I wanted to visit it when I first came to vacation in the States for PJ20. There is a lot of shit going on, but there is also a lot of potential. And Chicago is not heaven on earth either ;)

PBS is showing a Detroit documentary at the moment, by the way. Sounds pretty interesting. Maybe you want to check it out: http://www.detropiathefilm.com. I will.

Oh, and GO RED WINGS!

moving to detroit for love is a fine reason really. congrats on being one of the lucky ones
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Pretty much ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I love Detroit.

I am from and live in the suburbs, but am downtown all of the time for Tiger games and to hang out at great local bars and restaurants. Very small "nice" parts of downtown, but what there is, I love. I often work in some of the bad parts as well.

Why does everyone go out of their way to bash Detroit like they assume that we care what hey think?
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    rival. wrote:

67 a month :lol::lol::lol:

That cities done ... Both my parents grew up across the river from Detroit in Windsor and they remember when it was a great city, so in less than a lifetime a major city with a population of around 4 million has crumbled to that less that 750 000.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Hey wait a second.... Is this some sort of Blackhawks vs Wings thing???

I hate hockey. Go Tigers.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Hard Core Pawn is fantastic.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Detroit is weird, exciting, makes me nostalgic and kind of reminds me of my home town. The weak children are always the ones you love the most for some reason. Maybe that is why I have a big spot in my heart for this place. Don't bash it. Go out and look in front of your own door and try to see what can be done, not what you can talk down to. America is not the country it used to be. Your city might be next.

Just finished watching the documentary, and I recommend it to all of you. My mind is boggled. A lot of the stuff that is happening here has greed written all over it. It is fucking sad.
  • Detroit is weird, exciting, makes me nostalgic and kind of reminds me of my home town. The weak children are always the ones you love the most for some reason. Maybe that is why I have a big spot in my heart for this place. Don't bash it. Go out and look in front of your own door and try to see what can be done, not what you can talk down to. America is not the country it used to be. Your city might be next.

Just finished watching the documentary, and I recommend it to all of you. My mind is boggled. A lot of the stuff that is happening here has greed written all over it. It is fucking sad.
    Well said
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

Oh, and GO RED WINGS!
    I uses to travel to Novi for conferences, which is a suburb of Detroit. Beautiful area. Many of the suburbs are!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    what's this?
    did you see me? i saw you.