Mickey Mantle - the cheater within

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://deadspin.com/looks-like-mickey-m ... socialflow

A game-used Mantle bat from 1964, which will go up for auction later this month, was x-rayed.....

“During our examination of the bat, we noticed a circular area .75 inches wide in the center of the top barrel. The finish in the area has also been touched up to mask the circular area. Alterations of this nature indicate the barrel has been drilled and filled with cork….we had the barrel x-rayed and (it) confirms that the barrel has been drilled and filled with cork."
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    That's depressing
  • wow. there was a seinfeld episode where Jerry was talking about his disapproval of enhanced breasts, and I quote: "it's like finding out Mickey Mantle corked his bat".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Merlyn-and-Mickey-Mantle.jpg

Not just with the Bat! American Hero! 8-)
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    1964 = end of his career. Who knows what the real story is.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Not surprised.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 08248.html

familey lawyer gets bat removed from auction, family claim micky didn't cut it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    fuck baseball
    jk
    no i'm not surprised either
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,193
    I say let them all cork their bats and do all steroids they wan't fuck'em ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,651
    That is a bit depressing. I saw both Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford play in the same game late in both their careers (I don't remember the exact year- mid 60's). It was a thrill to see them both.

I also once watched a longshoreman snuff his burning cigarette butt out in the palm of his hand. That was pretty exciting too.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    I thought only this era in baseball cheated (steroid era)? There is no way guys back then tried to get an edge in the game, right? Like that one sign reads, "they did it on hot dogs and beer". :-|

I am really disappointed to hear this. At the same time, I knew all along that the steroid era couldn't have been the only time period in which guys tried to cheat their way through the game
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    Somewhere, Bob Costas is crying.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    PRL1JAM wrote:
    I thought only this era in baseball cheated (steroid era)? There is no way guys back then tried to get an edge in the game, right? Like that one sign reads, "they did it on hot dogs and beer". :-|

I am really disappointed to hear this. At the same time, I knew all along that the steroid era couldn't have been the only time period in which guys tried to cheat their way through the game

I kinda think thers been cheating since the game started.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    wow. there was a seinfeld episode where Jerry was talking about his disapproval of enhanced breasts, and I quote: "it's like finding out Mickey Mantle corked his bat".
    Lmao! I was just going to quote that episode!!
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    I say let them all cork their bats and do all steroids they wan't fuck'em ....
    I would say its not the home runs that matter but the fact that a pitcher would eventually be killed if these rules were not in place.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    They should just hit off a tee and make the outfield wall 700 feet
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Studies have shown that a corked bat provide no advantage in hitting distance.

It's the old school equivalent to those dumb ass magic necklaces that half the players wear.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:

It's the old school equivalent to those dumb ass magic necklaces that half the players wear.

reduces weight, increases bat speed. the ball may not go farther, but i can get the bat around faster.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Just an auction house trying to get publicity. Maybe it is real, but they don't know that. The only thing they know, I think, is that Mantle once owned it. I haven't even seen proof of that, but just assuming he did, they don't actually know if it was ever used in a game, batting practice, or if it was even corked while Mantle owned it. At best it's a Mickey Mantle bat, that is corked, but not necessarily by Mantle, and no proof he ever used it in a game.

Also, this Grey Flannel Auctions has been noted in the past for being shady. They were part of a 1994 investigative journalism piece into the sports memorabilia trade where they were found to be committing outright fraud. They have been busted several times for selling fake game worn jerseys and fake autographs. They are not a reputable memorabilia dealer, in fact they were named in an FBI investigation for their role in authenticating a bunch of bogus memorabilia sold by an Illinois dealer who was indicted for fraud. They were named as an "un-reputable dealer" in that case.

Not everything they sell is bullshit though, so that doesn't mean THIS is fake. But given the fact they can't even fully authenticate it, and their track record, I don't see any reason for Yankees fans to shed a tear.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    :(
    81 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

reduces weight, increases bat speed. the ball may not go farther, but i can get the bat around faster.
    It makes a difference - if it didn't no one would have ever bothered to take the risk of using one.
    That is one cute goat 81... I might actually give that goat a GA ticket if I had one, but only if I could snuggle it the whole time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    It makes a difference - if it didn't no one would have ever bothered to take the risk of using one.
    That is one cute goat 81... I might actually give that goat a GA ticket if I had one, but only if I could snuggle it the whole time.
    It's a placebo effect.
    Jason P wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    It's a placebo effect.
    I think it's common knowledge that a lighter bat is an advantage....
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Just an auction house trying to get publicity. Maybe it is real, but they don't know that. The only thing they know, I think, is that Mantle once owned it. I haven't even seen proof of that, but just assuming he did, they don't actually know if it was ever used in a game, batting practice, or if it was even corked while Mantle owned it. At best it's a Mickey Mantle bat, that is corked, but not necessarily by Mantle, and no proof he ever used it in a game.

Also, this Grey Flannel Auctions has been noted in the past for being shady. They were part of a 1994 investigative journalism piece into the sports memorabilia trade where they were found to be committing outright fraud. They have been busted several times for selling fake game worn jerseys and fake autographs. They are not a reputable memorabilia dealer, in fact they were named in an FBI investigation for their role in authenticating a bunch of bogus memorabilia sold by an Illinois dealer who was indicted for fraud. They were named as an "un-reputable dealer" in that case.

Not everything they sell is bullshit though, so that doesn't mean THIS is fake. But given the fact they can't even fully authenticate it, and their track record, I don't see any reason for Yankees fans to shed a tear.
    this makes me feel a little better
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22