SPAM that feels like a violation.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,651
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Lately I've been getting these emails that appear to be from people close to me, close family members and friends. The names are capitalized or changed slightly such that at a glance I lead to believe the are email from people I know but then turn out to be SPAM from some jackass I've never heard of. I want to scream at these vultures! Of course, I never open the links etc, but still, this just irks the hell out of me!
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I get spams like that alot to my yahoo account, but my spam-filter takes care of them, thank god. Perhaps you should create a spam-filter?
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I've gotten some of those. Are you on Facebook? I've heard it has something to do with somebody's Facebook getting hacked, it happened to my mother. All her Facebook friends started getting e-mails from her that were spam. And one guy that I got the Spam from, I have no contact with other than through Facebook. I don't have his e-mail address, he doesn't have mine, I'm just Facebook friends with him, and then I started getting spam with his name on it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,651
    I've gotten some of those. Are you on Facebook? I've heard it has something to do with somebody's Facebook getting hacked, it happened to my mother. All her Facebook friends started getting e-mails from her that were spam. And one guy that I got the Spam from, I have no contact with other than through Facebook. I don't have his e-mail address, he doesn't have mine, I'm just Facebook friends with him, and then I started getting spam with his name on it.

G*d-d*mn FACEBOOK! I shoulda known! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    When you get these it means at least one of your email or social media accounts have been hacked. Change your passwords. :)

One time I got these, but they weren't just annpying links. They were emails saying that 'they' were going to come after my friends and family (and named some of them) and torture and kill them. :? I know it's bullshit spam, but that was still a tiny bit unsettling.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    When you get these it means at least one of your email or social media accounts have been hacked. Change your passwords. :)

One time I got these, but they weren't just annpying links. They were emails saying that 'they' were going to come after my friends and family (and named some of them) and torture and kill them. :? I know it's bullshit spam, but that was still a tiny bit unsettling.

Oh- not cool! People spamming that kind of thing should be caught and banned and, if possible (probably not) from using the internet.

Unfortunately, I have several passwords and wouldn't know which to change although I'm guessing starting with FB would be a good idea.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    brianlux wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Oh- not cool! People spamming that kind of thing should be caught and banned and, if possible (probably not) from using the internet.

Unfortunately, I have several passwords and wouldn't know which to change although I'm guessing starting with FB would be a good idea.

Twitter is also an issue, if you're on there. I've also found yahoo email to be a target, so if you have that, change that too. Probably Hotmail and gmail too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Twitter is also an issue, if you're on there. I've also found yahoo email to be a target, so if you have that, change that too. Probably Hotmail and gmail too.

I've never twittered nor tweeted... except in another lifetime when I was a house finch. :lol:

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    like pj soul says, change your password. it's happened to me at least twice. i'll go look at send emails & people I haven't communicated with in years were all getting emails from me. usually they contact me and tell me I been hacked again.

now im using numbers & digits ...frick em
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I'm fucking sick of spam email. It seems like every May I have to go through the unsubscribe process. JESUS!!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    2191762430_338f1a9cd8.jpg

I would feel violated too