Allergies

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Fuck off. Yeah I said it.
I've gone through a half a box of tissues today.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Gazuntite!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    one week from today mine will begin
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Gazuntite!

:shock: :lol::lol::lol:

I will write it like that from now on ...

Thank god I never had any allergies. I cannot even start to imagine how awful it must be to have spring spoiled by that nuisance :(
    I hope you will all get through the season with a little annoyance as possible.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    your best friend is a neti pot.

I used to take prednisone, Cingulair, Sudafed, Rhinocort, Nasonex, and albuterol during allergy season, for YEARS...now I only take red sudafed if I'm having a 'bad day'...other than that, Neti Pot every day.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    RKCNDY wrote:
    pot.

Pot

:corn:
    Gazuntite!

:shock: :lol::lol::lol:

I will write it like that from now on ...

Thank god I never had any allergies. I cannot even start to imagine how awful it must be to have spring spoiled by that nuisance :(
    I hope you will all get through the season with a little annoyance as possible.

haha...

Excuse me

gesundheit
    RKCNDY wrote:

I used to take prednisone, Cingulair, Sudafed, Rhinocort, Nasonex, and albuterol during allergy season, for YEARS...now I only take red sudafed if I'm having a 'bad day'...other than that, Neti Pot every day.

Yes, I love the sensation of drowning without the inconvenience of having to get very wet.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Where can I take a nap in this giant building.
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Try dexamethasone. It's a synthetic steroid which reduces inflammation. I had really bad allergies last year and took all kinds of allergy medicine, as well as using a neti pot. My nasal passages were super swollen and I could barely breathe. A friend gave me one dexamethasone pill and within four hours I was feeling completely fine and haven't had a problem since. It's like magic! Try it ;)
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    So far, so good. I'm taking a 24hr Claritan and a Singulair every morning and it's doing the trick.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    The one good thing about the weather still being shitty and cold in Chicago is that my allergies haven't flared up yet....but it's coming soon.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    RKCNDY wrote:

Neti pot's work?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    LloydXmas wrote:

I remember the time I went through a half a box of tissues.. :oops:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    LloydXmas wrote:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
    LloydXmas wrote:

Wow, you have allergies too?

Or was there Lubriderm harmed as well?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    JK_Livin wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Neti pot's work?

oh yeah, 6 years and no prescription allergy meds. :thumbup:

Basically you are washing away all of the allergens/pollen that are in your nasal passages, the ones that irritate your sinuses and cause them to become inflamed. Takes some practice to get the hang of it, I like the negative gravity kind-the squeeze bottle.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    RKCNDY wrote:

Yes, I love the sensation of drowning without the inconvenience of having to get very wet.
    I guess it depends on whether you want to drown in saline or your own "juices". Love the neti pot. :lol:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    The Fuck?

8658457123_f0acc91a0d_z_d.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    LloydXmas wrote:
    The Fuck?

Oh god. That's as bad as the earwax-removing commercial I see now and then..

So, I never had allergies till a couple of years ago - pretty much wind/dry weather-related stuff.

But how do you know when it's that or an actual cold? Both leave me feeling the same way (and I typically take nothing in either case other than self-medication).
    Went to the doctor to have it checked out. She said it was a cold and to take mucinex. Normally I would ride it out but I'm flying next week and I heard that could make it worse. Especially the ears.

By the way. Every time i clean my ears, I yell OWE!
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    LloydXmas wrote:
    The Fuck?

This is actually really good when you have a really bad cold-related stuffed nose. At least I thought so :)
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I've never had any allergies to anything in my life until this year.
    Fuck you pollen!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,661
    Oh man, allergies are the ah AH AH AH SHEW!... I mean, shits.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Hi all! Thought I'd share with you some things that have worked for me and my family. Stick with me bc this will eventually get to seasonal allergies. About 5 years ago I started an intense personal research through online, books and some wonderful doctors to figure out what was going on with us. I have a child who, at the time was a baby and had multiple severe food allergies. Through my research and guidance from his doctors we discovered that he had inadequate and unhealthy intestinal bacteria that was causing food proteins to leak into his system which in turn caused the immune system to do what it was supposed to do and attack. By fixing his intestine function his food allergies disappeared. It took time but he is only allergic to two foods now and may not be allergic to those either bc we haven't tested lately and need to do so soon. The things we did are the following

1. Eliminate processed grains. For awhile we actually eliminated all grain but that was really tough. Now we stick with really high quality sprouted grains or at least whole grains. No processed carbs. If it comes in a box with a plastic bag inside, it's not really food. :D

2. Super high quality and dose of the right probiotics.

3. Try to eat local organic produce if possible

4. Raw local honey... Very important for seasonal allergies bc the bees are eating the local pollen that you are reacting to. Eat it raw and unpasteurized, unprocessed so all the good stuff is there still

5. Eat fermented foods regularly... Kefir, kimchi, fermented pickles, high bacteria count yogurt

I noticed that after making these changes NONE of us suffered from seasonal allergies! I had suffered my whole life terribly. I lived on antihistamines in the spring and fall. My middle kid was the same way. Now I can't remember the last time I bought antihistamine. It was a very happy consequence of the changes my family made to help my son get better. The docs explain it such.... When your system (liver primarily responsible for ridding the body if toxins) is overwhelmed by toxins (food chemicals, environmental pollution, chemical, cleaners, pollen) at some point it can't keep up so the "bucket" overflows and spills back into the system. The immune system responds,as it should, and attacks which causes the symptoms of the allergic reaction. If you keep your self clean, your detox system can handle the pollen and then no reaction. The probiotics and intestinal healing diet work because your digestive system is the first line of defense from keeping out all the bad stuff that's trying to get in. I used to have a ton of research saved to back all of this up but just don't have it saved anymore. Keep in mind I'm not a doctor just a mom who committed countless hours researching and then countless headaches to changing her family's habits and saw dramatic and lasting results. I encourage you to do your own research. The change won't be immediate either. It takes time but I feel it's much better to fix the problem than to treat the symptoms. I love to walk right up to the flowers now and take a good sniff of their beautiful scent!

Peace to you all!

Jen

And....Tried not to make this too long but I can't help it...:roll: we have had friends make these changes too with the same results and I belong to a support network of other moms of kids with allergies who have all had success or are on the path toward success. If one person reads this and starts researching on their own then the time spent typing on this damn iPhone and your time spent reading wasn't wasted. :D
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2