For Boston, and runners and running fans

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Trying to find a way to somehow or other move through the horror that is Boston today.

I can't stop thinking about all the runners I saw yesterday, milling happily around Copley Square and packing the aisles at the Marathon Expo. So many happy people, happy families, happy friends. There is nothing like that section of Boston's Back Bay on the eve of the marathon. Mr. Unlost and I had such a good time being there and taking it all in.

I've never run a marathon. Never ran further than 15 miles. My races are the half marathon, 15k, 10k and 5k. (More recently the latter.) What I love best about road races are the spectators who cheer you on, no matter how slow your pace.

It's such a pure sport, running. You just lace on a pair of shoes and go out the door.

And there's a real community among road race spectators, whether it's a big national Olympic qualifier with thousands of competitors or a small local footrace with your friends and neighbors. Little kids lining the route to give you a high five, and others reading your name on your bib and calling out a personal cheer of encouragement.

I tried to find something that I could read and draw some comfort from, and this is what I came up with:

"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable."
-Sir Roger Bannister, first runner to run a sub-4 minute mile

The human spirit is indomitable.

Peace to all,

Trisha
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Thank you for posting that. I was thinking about you and Mr. Unlost today.

Hooray for the human spirit. And there are way more good people in the world than bad.
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    Thought of you right away!! Glad you're ok, sendin hugs to the World Best Hugger!
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Thought of you right away!! Glad you're ok, sendin hugs to the World Best Hugger!

(((hug)))
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    It breaks my heart what happened today. I've only recently come to enjoy running and have run a few road races, the biggest of which is the Peachtree Road Race here in Atlanta. Every year on July 4th, people line both sides of Peachtree Street to witness 60,000 runners make their way from Lenox to Piedmont Park. They hand out waters, ice, and encouragement along those 6.2 miles, and it is as much a communal atmosphere as it is almost a party-like atmosphere. It is exhilarating and heartening to see how many people come out to cheer on those of us who have chosen to run in the summer heat of Georgia, and it is great to see them enjoy themselves in the process...even with the heat.

I pray innocence is not lost here although I must admit it will most likely never be quite the same for many. Being from Atlanta the Centennial Park bombing is still fresh on our minds, and this event will surely remind many people of that terrible night.

This year, I'll be running the Peachtree Road Race for the third time. I imagine given the events today that I will run it much differently than I have in the past. This year, I will take notice of as many people who come out to cheer us on as I can, and I will be sure to thank a few along the route. They make the event, not the runners. Ultimately, I believe human spirit will prevail as it always does, but I also think the scar will always remain.

My heart and thoughts are out to those who are suffering through this tragedy.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    My thoughts goes to the victims of this horrible attack.. :cry:
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    {unlost}
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,669
    Having completed the Boston Marathon I know what those runners were feeling as they approached the finish line and made their way through the finishers chute

As someone who felt and saw what happened at the Pentagon on 9/11 I know what some of those spectators experienced in Boston today.

I feel both their joy and their anguish

But this is America and we get up and brush off the dirt and we run again tomorrow
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    thanks for posting Trisha..

im so sorry..cant find words to say anything for this horrible thing...

all the best to you and all Bostonians..

stay stronge..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Trying to find a way to somehow or other move through the horror that is Boston today.

I can't stop thinking about all the runners I saw yesterday, milling happily around Copley Square and packing the aisles at the Marathon Expo. So many happy people, happy families, happy friends. There is nothing like that section of Boston's Back Bay on the eve of the marathon. Mr. Unlost and I had such a good time being there and taking it all in.

I've never run a marathon. Never ran further than 15 miles. My races are the half marathon, 15k, 10k and 5k. (More recently the latter.) What I love best about road races are the spectators who cheer you on, no matter how slow your pace.

It's such a pure sport, running. You just lace on a pair of shoes and go out the door.

And there's a real community among road race spectators, whether it's a big national Olympic qualifier with thousands of competitors or a small local footrace with your friends and neighbors. Little kids lining the route to give you a high five, and others reading your name on your bib and calling out a personal cheer of encouragement.

I tried to find something that I could read and draw some comfort from, and this is what I came up with:

"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable."
    -Sir Roger Bannister, first runner to run a sub-4 minute mile

The human spirit is indomitable.

Peace to all,

Trisha

Well said. I've always been more of a walker myself, but the marathon is quite the festive event. I had a few friends running in the 2011 NY Marathon and watched the event from the halfway point

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 160b9ce88f

All the best to you and everyone in Boston.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."