Vikings: History Channel

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else watching this?

I thought the first three episodes were a little slow, but they just don't let up its been great since then. I feel conflicted on who to root for i dont' like the english rulers and the way they paint them, but the vikings are hardly robin hood stealing from the rich for the poor. I know it is their way of life but they are still pretty brutal. That said i love watching it.

Ragnar is awesome!
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I made it halfway through the first episode one night half drunk and didnt go back the next day. I have read a lot of historical fiction on the time period and know I will like it once I get kick started -- thanks for the nudge, I will make sure to get 2-3 deep before judging!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    intodeep wrote:
    Anyone else watching this?

I thought the first three episodes were a little slow, but they just don't let up its been great since then. I feel conflicted on who to root for i dont' like the english rulers and the way they paint them, but the vikings are hardly robin hood stealing from the rich for the poor. I know it is their way of life but they are still pretty brutal. That said i love watching it.

Ragnar is awesome!

I love watching this too - and your right the Vikings were ruthless !!!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Hairy DaneHairy Dane Posts: 205
    Anne Rice told me to Watch it, so I did. And I f**king love it! Not all that talk-talk-talk-banter-yell-talk-sex-talk-b**bs-talk as you see in other series.
    Plus the main character Regnar Lodbrog is one of my favourite viking (myth) people. All this about his flag and how it could determine the outcome of a certain battle ... I love it.
    Plus I just started reading Bernard Cornwell's books about the vikings vs. the Brits, so vikings on my mind.

Oh yeah and large batch of freshly "brewed" honey-mead just landed in my lap today ... :D

But all in all a great show! And seeing how it's fairly accurate you can be sure there will be no spin-offs ;)
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • I watched most of one of the first episodes. It seemed like it was going to be a pretty cool show but It was so dark and brutal. I didn't finish watching the show. I'll try it again.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Man that season opener for season two was fantastic! That opening fight was killer!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I think the fight scenes are pretty lame. I'm one of those douchebags that watch what's going on in the background of the fight scenes and it comical. But I don't think the show is that bad.
  • I liked the season 2 opening but also was kind of laughing at the big fight scene and how brutal some of it was and how sometimes they stood around watching the other guys fight. I love the time period and have read so much on it that I cannot help but love it. Interested to see where they take the situation with his wife leaving and then them showing her fighting in upcoming episodes.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    english women loved us because english men stunk like hell, wore wigs & funky clothes with lace & velvet covered in perfumes & stupid shit. be a man you no sailing, no fighting little mice
    http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/91/63/e09163a00c1c4a9f164fd7db86396ca5.jpgimage

what a crock of shit!
    when you see these dudes coming why wouldn't you smash them with a war hammer?

blood eagle
    http://youtu.be/TzPMNop-xUc >:)

mom's ancestry - norsemen/swedes
    berserkers... my favorite

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130501195937/powerlisting/images/d/db/480px-mpost16497-berserker.jpgimage
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    http://youtu.be/6PQ6335puOc
    pretty much sums it up nicely

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • If you like Vikings, check this book out.
    If you don't like Vikings, find a different thread and quit wasting your time on this one. :)

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    The husband of one of the owners of the company I work for is an executive producer of this show.

Despite her talking it up (and the many good things I've heard about it), I have yet to watch...but I will! :-SS
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Posts: 4,809
    Short first season..
    i thought they cancelled it.
    I'm looking forward to watching the new season!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

If you like Vikings, check this book out.
    If you don't like Vikings, find a different thread and quit wasting your time on this one. :)

true or false - if you don't like vikings you should be slapped

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Hahaha, wouldnt want to slap people for not liking Vikings but if they are spending any time on this thread other than to say no and to bolt....and they dont like Vikings, then yes....maybe a good slap upside the head is in good order.

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    edited April 2014
    I wasn't sure if I'd last this long with this show, but I gotta say, it's gettin pretty damn good. I'm hooked.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This season has been fantastic!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Watched the last two episodes Friday night, love it!
    edited April 2014
    so we had easter at my brother dut's. dut (is 'dustin' but has been dut since we were small) may enjoy a bit of vulgarity, brutality, blood & your basic all around savagery. he wore a nipple piercing for yrs until drunked up & caught his nipple ring on a fence & ripped it out tearing his nipple in half. so he sewed his nipple back together w/ a standard sewing needle & string.

yesterday im working on fashioning a old brokendown (four) clawed plowing implement weeding tool of his as it is my idea to fashion a dumbell bar into the site where the wood handle used to be. then it will be a war tool or a basic home self-defence weapon

well here, let me find it
    yes like this but minus the one lone claw

https://img1.etsystatic.com/037/0/7683614/il_340x270.586392265_gxhn.jpg

here you can easily see how you could hook someone's ribcage quite nicely & if it had spikes up front added on you could easily spear & hook your basic home intruder or dumbass at the house party on easter sunday

question - dut believes in stealing countries, clubbing guys, burning things down, & stealing their women, yes/no?
    & no we did not throw knives at the bathroom door this time, we threw hatchets & axes out by the firepit

enjoy the viking show

Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Dut sounds like a cool guy and my guess to your question is a resounding Yes.