GAD

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So I was diagnosed with it a few weeks ago.
Anyone else here have it?
It sucks, having a bad episode this weekend.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    excuse the ignorance... what is it?
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    excuse the ignorance... what is it?

Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    what does that mean... beyond the obvious anxiety of course
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
    what does that mean... beyond the obvious anxiety of course

Google it.
  • PjdreamerPjdreamer Posts: 318
    edited April 2013
    My wife suffers from anxiety disorder and is currently in her masters program to become a therapist to help people with these disorder. Here she is...

Hi. I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for almost ten years! They are horrible and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy! At one point I would only go places in my " safety zone" which wasn't far.

So what I found is once you have anxiety or panic a person fears it and its hard to overcome. For me I had a full blood panel done and found out I had a thyroid problem, but because I already had the anxiety it didn't just go away when my thyroid regulated. Anxiety is something I have found I have to talk myself out of, so I do a lot of self talk. For example when I start to feel anxious I change my thought process or think of a special place. My special place isn't someplace I have been but it can be as long as you feel relaxed there. I imagine a beach with a board walk and a palm tree and I am sitting under the palm looking out towards to ocean and that is calming to me. I also do lots of self talk like I will be fine this is just a hiccup in my day ect. Music helps too! I turn on some good music that I love and sing real loud and dance around (I'm not good at either lol) mostly if I am in the car and I start to have anxiety. I exercise regularly mostly for my mental health but physical as well- they go hand in hand with anxiety! Exercise really helps with stress.i also do Dahn yoga which incorporates yoga stretching and meditation and this help a lot. I was skeptical in the beginning but have found it to be really be beneficial. And lastly I treat myself to massages!! This is a wonderful way to relax! I do have medication for when my panic but I only take it if I absolutely need too because it makes me sleepy and there is a lot of addiction in my family and well I don't need anther problem ;) this is enough. Some times for sleep I will take melatonin which is an over the counter natural product.
    I am in the masters counseling program so I am a true believer in therapy ifs that is an option for you. It takes time to overcome anxiety. I haven' t completely but I have learned to accept it and deal with it. Some days are worse than others but I know that it will pass and I have learned the coping skills to deal with it that work for me when it happens.
    I don't know if any of this will help, but if you feel like chatting more let me know. I am here :)

Make sure to deep breathe sometimes when we have anxiety we start to shallow breathe and most of all try not to let it interrupt your daily activities. Try to accept it as hard as that may seem it does get easier. There is this book called The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It really helped me!
    -Christi
    Post edited by Pjdreamer on
    Pjdreamer
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    I was diagnosed with GAD 8 years ago. As in the last post, self- talk is amazing. Whether is silent in your head, or out loud. I have found that certain lyrics help too, and I will print out those lyrics, play the songs super loud every where I go. It helps. I have been prescribed different meds throughout the last 8 years too. They worked but now I choose to go through it without meds. The side effects made me look like a zombie. Benzos, which are often prescribed, are highly addictive. Use them sparingly if you've been given them.
  • md259130md259130 Posts: 57
    had for twenty five years..along with all that goes with it....
    1-15-95 DC,9-24-96 MD,9-18-98 MD,9-19-98 DC,9-4-00 MD,10-1-09 CA, 5-13-10 VA,
    11-24-13 CA
    EDDIE SOLO-7-8-11 LA
    Pjdreamer wrote:
    My wife suffers from anxiety disorder and is currently in her masters program to become a therapist to help people with these disorder. Here she is...

Hi. I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for almost ten years! They are horrible and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy! At one point I would only go places in my " safety zone" which wasn't far.

So what I found is once you have anxiety or panic a person fears it and its hard to overcome. For me I had a full blood panel done and found out I had a thyroid problem, but because I already had the anxiety it didn't just go away when my thyroid regulated. Anxiety is something I have found I have to talk myself out of, so I do a lot of self talk. For example when I start to feel anxious I change my thought process or think of a special place. My special place isn't someplace I have been but it can be as long as you feel relaxed there. I imagine a beach with a board walk and a palm tree and I am sitting under the palm looking out towards to ocean and that is calming to me. I also do lots of self talk like I will be fine this is just a hiccup in my day ect. Music helps too! I turn on some good music that I love and sing real loud and dance around (I'm not good at either lol) mostly if I am in the car and I start to have anxiety. I exercise regularly mostly for my mental health but physical as well- they go hand in hand with anxiety! Exercise really helps with stress.i also do Dahn yoga which incorporates yoga stretching and meditation and this help a lot. I was skeptical in the beginning but have found it to be really be beneficial. And lastly I treat myself to massages!! This is a wonderful way to relax! I do have medication for when my panic but I only take it if I absolutely need too because it makes me sleepy and there is a lot of addiction in my family and well I don't need anther problem ;) this is enough. Some times for sleep I will take melatonin which is an over the counter natural product.
    I am in the masters counseling program so I am a true believer in therapy ifs that is an option for you. It takes time to overcome anxiety. I haven' t completely but I have learned to accept it and deal with it. Some days are worse than others but I know that it will pass and I have learned the coping skills to deal with it that work for me when it happens.
    I don't know if any of this will help, but if you feel like chatting more let me know. I am here :)

Make sure to deep breathe sometimes when we have anxiety we start to shallow breathe and most of all try not to let it interrupt your daily activities. Try to accept it as hard as that may seem it does get easier. There is this book called The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It really helped me!
    -Christi

Thank you for taking the time to write all that Christi.
    Much appreciated :)
    Might have to read that book!
    jbarbian wrote:
    I was diagnosed with GAD 8 years ago. As in the last post, self- talk is amazing. Whether is silent in your head, or out loud. I have found that certain lyrics help too, and I will print out those lyrics, play the songs super loud every where I go. It helps. I have been prescribed different meds throughout the last 8 years too. They worked but now I choose to go through it without meds. The side effects made me look like a zombie. Benzos, which are often prescribed, are highly addictive. Use them sparingly if you've been given them.

No drugs prescribed for me, I'd rather not be on anything.
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    jbarbian wrote:

No drugs prescribed for me, I'd rather not be on anything.
    I consider myself a Christian, but I have not attended church in years. I have found that listening to Joyce Meyer and reading her books helps too. Any type of spiritualism, meditation, prayer time is helpful.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I've been treated for depression for many, MANY years.
    Last year I had a full blown anxiety attack. To those of us that have had them, know, you can actually feel like you are going to die while having one.
    I hear a lot of people saying they are doing it without the meds, which is great!!
    I have to say though, my doc gave me a script for Xanax for the really bad days or attacks, and
    I'm not sure i would be sitting here typing this right now had she not given that to me.

I obvioulsy use it only in extreme cases, but man.... it sure does help calm me down and avoid
    the "I'm not going to make it through this tonight" feelings, and thoughts.

Good luck.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:
    I've been treated for depression for many, MANY years.
    Last year I had a full blown anxiety attack. To those of us that have had them, know, you can actually feel like you are going to die while having one.
    I hear a lot of people saying they are doing it without the meds, which is great!!
    I have to say though, my doc gave me a script for Xanax for the really bad days or attacks, and
    I'm not sure i would be sitting here typing this right now had she not given that to me.

I obvioulsy use it only in extreme cases, but man.... it sure does help calm me down and avoid
    the "I'm not going to make it through this tonight" feelings, and thoughts.

Good luck.

Thank you.