Options

The Mark Lanegan thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Grabbed his Black Pudding collab LP today for $11.99. After listening to it, I would've easily paid 3x as much. Great album!

its awesome isn't it???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    NEW ALBUM IMITATIONS DUE OUT SEPTEMBER 17, “I’M NOT THE LOVING KIND” DEBUTS TODAY
    June 26, 2013

Mark Lanegan will be releasing his new covers album, IMITATIONS, on September 17, 2013 on Vagrant Records. Lanegan made the following comments on the new album:

“When I was a kid in the late sixties and early seventies, my parents and their friends would play the records of Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Perry Como, music with string arrangements and men singing songs that sounded sad whether they were or not. At home my folks were also listening to country music, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, George Jones and Vern Gosdin were some of our favorites. For a long time I’ve wanted to make a record that gave me the same feeling those old records did, using some of the same tunes I loved as a kid and some that I’ve loved as I have gotten older. This record is it. Imitations.

“Flatlands” is a beautiful song I heard Chelsea Wolfe singing, “She’s Gone” is by Vern Gosdin and the Gosdin brothers, “Deepest Shade” is a song my friend Greg Dulli wrote for the Twilight Singers and then graciously gave to me to sing, everyone knows Nancy Sinatra singing ”You Only Live Twice” but I love “Pretty Colors” by father Frank just as much. “Brompton Oratory” is by the one and only Nick Cave and I heard ”Solitaire,” “Lonely Street” and “Autumn Leaves” all sung by Andy Williams who I consider to be one of the all time greatest singers. I have always loved Dave Van Ronk and his sparse version of “Mack the Knife” I copied note for note. I have been obsessed with the genius of Gerard Manset forever, hopefully I didn’t butcher his tune too badly. I have tried to cover John Cale before and chickened out, its hard to cover your hero but I managed to get through one this time. Imitations.”

Listen to Mark’s take on “I’m Not The Loving Kind” below. The twelve-track album was recorded late last year and follows his 2012 release, Blues Funeral. Pre-order details for Imitations will be announced shortly.
    http://marklanegan.com/
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    2 Lanegan albums in one year? Yes please :D

There is going to be a Euro tour in October time and I read somewhere some US dates are being planned for the end of the year too.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    New record comes out tomorrow!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    Jason P wrote:
    New record comes out tomorrow!
    ...and it's really, really good! :D

I've even found a comment in a Pitchfork review that is worth quoting (and I never thought that'd happen!):

"...the fact that Lanegan rasping in French is one of the sexiest sounds the human nervous system could ever steep itself in."
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    About 6 months ago I got the Screaming Trees' "Last Words: The Final Recordings" and it blew my mind. They recorded it in the late 90s, forgot about it, lost it, found and released it in 2011.

Me too, I bought it, and the new VALIS album off ebay from Van Conner's shop, and Van signed them both for me.

I saw Mark in concert last summer, he came to my town and played a tiny 500 capacity venue. It was amazing, and then at the end of the gig he went straight out to the foyer and spent an hour signing everybody's records and chatting. Such a nice bloke. Really good concert too.

I haven't got the Black Pudding collab yet, or the covers album. He releases a lot of stuff, so I am a bit behind. I think I have everything he has done as a main project up to Blues Funeral. Some of my faves are the first album with Isobel Campbell, and the Gutter Twins.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    fallen in love with this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SO0qSfxqyk
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    llessuRllessuR Posts: 195
    smarchee wrote:
    fallen in love with this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SO0qSfxqyk

I bought that Moby album without looking at the featured vocalists, when I came across that track it was pretty awesome.
    http://www.audiohammock.com - Rock, Indie, and Electronic reviews, news, and the AudioHammock podcast.
    Favorite Albums of 2014 Article
    -Gorge 2005
    -Bonnaroo 2008
    -Key Arena 1 & 2 2009
    -Spokane 2013
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    Picked up Phantom Radio yesterday (the 2cd set that includes the No Bells On Sunday ep). I really like it, it's a nice progression from Blues Funeral.
    Harvest Home, Floor of the Ocean and Death Trip To Tulsa are the ones that stand out the most after a few listens.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)