In baseball, is it physically possible to.....

JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
hit the ball first then the catcher's arm with your front swing, not the back swing. My son was batting this weekend and the catcher stuck his arm out while my son was swinging. He hit the catcher's forearm then the ball. In a typical bully coach fashion, the catcher's coach comes out to check on his player and the first thing he says to the umpire is "he hit the ball first". The catcher was hurt so I wasn't going to yell anything from the stands but is it physically possible for that to happen? My son was not awarded 1st base for catcher's interference.
Alright, alright, alright!
Tom O.
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
-The Writer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    if that happened the catchers arm would be in front of the ball? meaning he would not be able to catch the ball which is the whole point of being a catcher. weird play either way though but should be a hit in my opinion

which arm was hit?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    sparky_fry wrote:
    if that happened the catchers arm would be in front of the ball? meaning he would not be able to catch the ball which is the whole point of being a catcher. weird play either way though but should be a hit in my opinion

which arm was hit?

not necessarily in front of, possibly parallel to it. one in a million chance probably but if the ball was really far inside and the catcher was setup way outside, with a late swing the ball could hit batters bat around the hands while the barrel of the bat comes through later and hits catchers mitt. would have to be a really late swing and the catcher would have to be really slow in moving towards the ball.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    sounds like the catcher was too far up on the play . actually interference should have been called on the catcher.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    foodboy wrote:
    sounds like the catcher was too far up on the play . actually interference should have been called on the catcher.

That's my point. It was called a foul ball. :roll:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer