Matt on New Soundgarden Album

LostUponMyWayLostUponMyWay Posts: 184
edited May 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Has anyone noticed how much ass Matt kicks on the new Soundgarden album! Odd times, crazy changes, and his fills are bang on. I love his playing on this album more than anything else he has done. SICK! He just keeps getting better and better I think.

What do you guys think? :corn:
Toronto 06-28-2003
09-19-2005
05-09-2006
09-11-2011
London 07-16-2013
Ottawa 05-08-2016
record.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    I've definitely noticed this. Matt does some seriously crazy, wicked & cool stuff on the recent album. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • I feel like that has kindve been the hallmark of Matt's playing in soundgarden all along. Odd time signatures and sick fills are all over most of their albums.

I've always thought it odd that pearl jam has rarely tapped that side of Matt, but when pressed I tend to rationalize this discrepancy by telling myself something like "pearl jam just doesn't really play in that tribal-ish groove much" ... I dunno. Hearing that mike recognizes the discrepancy as well at least makes me feel not crazy for always having thought there were "two different Matts".
    :)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I feel like that has kindve been the hallmark of Matt's playing in soundgarden all along. Odd time signatures and sick fills are all over most of their albums.

I've always thought it odd that pearl jam has rarely tapped that side of Matt, but when pressed I tend to rationalize this discrepancy by telling myself something like "pearl jam just doesn't really play in that tribal-ish groove much" ... I dunno. Hearing that mike recognizes the discrepancy as well at least makes me feel not crazy for always having thought there were "two different Matts".
    :)

Agreed. I think most PJ fans want Matt to be more like the Soundgarden Matt when he plays with PJ. I think it is a calculated decision on Matts part to separate the two. He has said that playing for SG takes a lot more out of him. He is probably looking to the future and old age.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I think Matt has more creative flexibility in SG than he does in PJ. Yeah, there have been songs written by Matt for PJ albums...but I feel that as the members of PJ bring in their demos, they pretty much know how they want it played. PJ is a more "straightforward" rock band...but I think it's a shame they don't utilize his talent more than they do.

I also wonder if the rythym side of the band (Stone and Jeff) prefer playing more standard timing...
  • LostUponMyWayLostUponMyWay Posts: 184
    mca47 wrote:
    I think Matt has more creative flexibility in SG than he does in PJ. Yeah, there have been songs written by Matt for PJ albums...but I feel that as the members of PJ bring in their demos, they pretty much know how they want it played. PJ is a more "straightforward" rock band...but I think it's a shame they don't utilize his talent more than they do.

I also wonder if the rythym side of the band (Stone and Jeff) prefer playing more standard timing...

The guys in Soundgarden are fantastic at odd times. I think Kim Thayil is perfect for playing with Matt. Jeff has written some odd time stuff in the past, but I guess its just creative differences between the bands.
    Toronto 06-28-2003
    09-19-2005
    05-09-2006
    09-11-2011
    London 07-16-2013
    Ottawa 05-08-2016
    record.gif