Options

Turntable Assistance

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,676
edited November 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Greetings All;

Not new to turntables in general.. but not technically inclined with them by any means. I have a burning issue that's driving me batshit crazy! :)

I have two turntables. One considered decent the other considered cheap and crummy.

Turntable 1:

Realistic Lab 400
N-75C Stylus (Brand New)
Realistic r1000ed cartridge

Turntable 2:

Nexxtech Lab-1100
Factory Stylus and Cartridge.

I've had the Realistic for around a year and a half now. I bought it second hand from a trustworthy dude. Once I bought it second hand.. I brought it to my buddy who runs a record store and does repairs. I got him to basically do a tune-up so to speak to make sure she sounded like a gem.

I've had the Nexxtech for around 5-6 years. Bought it from The Source (CDN Radioshack) for around $39.99.

(purpose was.. I wanted a good looking vintage style heavy turntable to rock out with)

Dilemma:

My Realistic sounds incredible... BUT is SUPER-SENSITIVE. I recently tested one record on both turntables for a Pepsi vs. Coke style experiment. (David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust). The record is brand new.. I gave it couple goes of a micro carbon fibre cloth before usage. The Realistic crackles LOUDLY. Not often.. but every-so-often it'll crack. Much worse on slightly used records.

I play the same album on the Nexxtech... the sound is not as good.. but she runs smooth.. not a single crack, pop... anything.

Couple questions:

1. Is it because the record and stylus on the Realistic are SO new? Does the new stylus need to be 'worked in' so to speak?

2. Is there something else possibly causing this 'sensitivity' problem?

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Take a look at the needle pressure to the record,if its to hard or soft you get strange effects
    To soft will get the needle to get off track and too hard will damage records and needle and both give negative sounds

You also have to make sure the player is Gyroscopic
    Mostly the best pressure of the needle is 3 gram when its on the record

Spin spin..Spin the black circle with love and hope you get it to play well :corn:
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    Greetings All;

Not new to turntables in general.. but not technically inclined with them by any means. I have a burning issue that's driving me batshit crazy! :)

I have two turntables. One considered decent the other considered cheap and crummy.

Turntable 1:

Realistic Lab 400
    N-75C Stylus (Brand New)
    Realistic r1000ed cartridge

Turntable 2:

Nexxtech Lab-1100
    Factory Stylus and Cartridge.

I've had the Realistic for around a year and a half now. I bought it second hand from a trustworthy dude. Once I bought it second hand.. I brought it to my buddy who runs a record store and does repairs. I got him to basically do a tune-up so to speak to make sure she sounded like a gem.

I've had the Nexxtech for around 5-6 years. Bought it from The Source (CDN Radioshack) for around $39.99.

(purpose was.. I wanted a good looking vintage style heavy turntable to rock out with)

Dilemma:

My Realistic sounds incredible... BUT is SUPER-SENSITIVE. I recently tested one record on both turntables for a Pepsi vs. Coke style experiment. (David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust). The record is brand new.. I gave it couple goes of a micro carbon fibre cloth before usage. The Realistic crackles LOUDLY. Not often.. but every-so-often it'll crack. Much worse on slightly used records.

I play the same album on the Nexxtech... the sound is not as good.. but she runs smooth.. not a single crack, pop... anything.

Couple questions:

1. Is it because the record and stylus on the Realistic are SO new? Does the new stylus need to be 'worked in' so to speak?

2. Is there something else possibly causing this 'sensitivity' problem?

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but each cartridge has a tracking force range, pretty much the pressure on the needle. They range differently for each cartridge, get the specs for you particular cartridge from either manufacturers website or http://www.vinylengine.com you can also pic up the owners manual for your turntable there. The website below has a lot of info, I followed it and the old Sansui I picked up sounds amazing after following these steps.

http://gizmodo.com/5216965/how-to-calibrate-your-turntable-for-the-best-possible-sound