Options

uncomfortable..

TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
edited April 2013 in The Porch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHTfKueFL4

this clip has always bothered me. Is this a taboo subject? I sort of feel bad even drawing attention to it.
My own opinion is that Ed was being wildly inappropriate and mean, but the fact that he doesn't make a habit of acting this way makes it sort of funny and iconoclastic. I doubt he's proud of what he said, but his honesty and impulsiveness as a performer are part of what makes him great. I think his temper is really displayed here. PJ can seem so warm and fuzzy sometimes that you forget they're also provocateurs. Ed just shoots from the hip and is fearless... and sometimes foolish.
Your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I was just thinking about this 2 days ago..

that is all.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    It would have been pretty funny if not for that last bit.

:fp:
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    nukeboot wrote:

Thought the same thing.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    that last bit is funnnyyyyy

oh well.. i am a sick fuck
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I laughed.

NoFX has a similar situation on one of their live albums. The band started to comment on how the girl must of had bad parents that didn't show her love.

I interpret it as Eddie is encouraging this person to think of herself as more than a pair of mosquito bites and that real men are turned on by the brain. Real men and zombies... turned on by brains.

BRAINS!!!! UGGHHHH BRAINS!!!!
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Was there....hilarious stuff.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    yeah, but at least his message is positive! Vote!... but really, I love this band so much. They're willingness to be raw and real and mess up is part of what makes them great. Let this clip go down in history as the Red Mosquito Rant.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    Sort of.. but that's just some dumb drunk kid. Somebody's daughter being ridiculed in front of thousands of people by the one guy who has the loudest voice with the spotlight.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    nukeboot wrote:

Agreed 100%.

Up to the minute mark I took at as him just shaming the person to keep her clothes on. Considering it was a concert and not a strip club, I have no problem with that. That last bit, well, probably could have found a slightly better choice of words, and in retrospect, I bet he'd agree (but of course have no way of knowing, just my opinion).
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    IMO, it doesn't really matter. How long ago was this? I've come to realize why they don't like their shows being recorded, they can't be themselves at that moment in time cause videos like this come up... It's a concert, who gives a shit, have fun, rock out, wake up tomorrow and move on...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    the lesson learned on this?....keep your tops on ladies, especially the Mosquito Bite ones ;)
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    TheGhost wrote:
    Sort of.. but that's just some dumb drunk kid. Somebody's daughter being ridiculed in front of thousands of people by the one guy who has the loudest voice with the spotlight.
    How do you know she was drunk?

She was prob looking for a tambourine or something. If you're taking your top off at a PJ show, you deserve the ridicule.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    She's not at a freaking Motley Crue concert in L.A. back in the 80's...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited April 2013
    He gets mean when he's drunk. He was wasted.

That clip has plenty links to more examples.

The whole world is a stage.

I've seen bras thrown at Brandon Boyd from Incubus. The stage was covered. He was so embarrassed.

No one can be nice all of the time. And I'm sure Mardi Gras is the only time to be topless.

Drunken people and forgiveness?
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    the only thing bothers me is the guy shooting the video..
    wtf he was thinking and taking video of ed instead of the girl??

amateurs
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
    the only thing bothers me is the guy shooting the video..
    wtf he was thinking and taking video of ed instead of the girl??

amateurs
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options

She was prob looking for a tambourine or something. If you're taking your top off at a PJ show, you deserve the ridicule.

I get grossed out when sweaty guys take off their shirts at shows. I don't want to be slimed ( A mucous substance secreted by certain animals, such as catfishes and slugs) because they are just too hot to wear a shirt. Have you ever seen "along came polly?" Male or female, keep your shirt on.

It's the icky est feeling to get another persons sweat on you. I'm gagging. EWWW
  • Options
    TheGhost wrote:
    How do you know she was drunk?

I guess I hope she was drunk.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    Q: why are your tits hanging out?
    A: I'm prob totes looking for a tambo, yo.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    Yes I think Ed's comments were harsh, but if you were up onstage and trying to perform and somebody in the audience was continually flashing you, you'd probably dish out some choice words to them too!

I included that clip as "Rule #2" in this video I put together... http://youtu.be/qXm0ZSWX_UA .

There is another video of them in London and women in the audience started flashing their breasts, but Eddie didin't lash out at them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8kzjLVCRM .
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TheGhost wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHTfKueFL4

this clip has always bothered me. Is this a taboo subject? I sort of feel bad even drawing attention to it.
    My own opinion is that Ed was being wildly inappropriate and mean, but the fact that he doesn't make a habit of acting this way makes it sort of funny and iconoclastic. I doubt he's proud of what he said, but his honesty and impulsiveness as a performer are part of what makes him great. I think his temper is really displayed here. PJ can seem so warm and fuzzy sometimes that you forget they're also provocateurs. Ed just shoots from the hip and is fearless... and sometimes foolish.

He gets drunk and makes mistakes. I don't think it's taboo. But no one has really mentioned his mean side, except you. I know it exists. You showed proof. He has a temper! Not many people realize.

Pressure will do that to anyone.
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Philly 05 Ed addressed the "mosquito bite" rant briefly then a heavier, Philadelphia gentlemen started flashing him......... :lol:
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    You guys are kidding right? His point is very clearly "Keep your clothes on, use your head, Vote." The part about shitting on little girl's heads? It's a joke.

Pretty sensitive take on something ed said ten years ago that is (1) obvious as to his real meaning, and (2) really not that shocking or offensive to begin with.

Move along folks...
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    I'm not shocked. I'll move along. There are more examples.

Rule 1

Protect your hula hoop.

If someone gets in your comfort zone aka Hula Hoop.

Kick them out, because it's your Hula Hoop.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    sometimes is all Chinese to me here in the forum...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339

me too
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400

:lol::lol:
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    vant0037 wrote:
    You guys are kidding right? His point is very clearly "Keep your clothes on, use your head, Vote." The part about shitting on little girl's heads? It's a joke.

Pretty sensitive take on something ed said ten years ago that is (1) obvious as to his real meaning, and (2) really not that shocking or offensive to begin with.

Move along folks...
    Not kidding. I think it's amazing how much it upset him. No desire to be negative. I LOVE this band. I had a bad show once and ended up flipping off two ladies (from the stage) who pissed me off.. (long story) and ended up feeling ashamed knowing i wouldn't have done that to a couple of tough dudes.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    I feel like I don't come off very well in this forum.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I will say that the Hershey 03 show had an odd vibe.. The guys seemed drained from the night before. I remember at the end of one of the encore some jerkoff threw a slushy on stage and it smashed all over one of stone's amps.. Mosquito Bite rant just added to the oddness..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone