School Lunches

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
My wife and I just got a 110$ bill from the school district for my 5 year old. :fp:

She makes his lunch every day :fp: :fp:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you shoud see the bills i get from the school district, and i don't even have kids :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    LloydXmas wrote:
    My wife and I just got a 110$ bill from the school district for my 5 year old. :fp:

Apparently, it's been going in the trash when he gets to school...
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    :lol:

My old man thinks it's hilarious. He said paybacks a bitch. :lol:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    good grief. My kids have the school lunches and I am constantly having to replenish their accounts
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    LloydXmas wrote:

Apparently, it's been going in the trash when he gets to school...

:lol::lol::lol:

Time to have a talk with the wife about the cooking. ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    good grief. My kids have the school lunches and I am constantly having to replenish their accounts
    We don't even have accounts!!!!!!

What kind of lunch lady takes the word of a 5 year old kindergartener :fp:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

my kids sometimes have two per day. my oldest was buying another kid lunch too :fp:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

my kids sometimes have two per day. my oldest was buying another kid lunch too :fp:
    I hope that's not the case. If so, I'm gonna find that punk and bill his parents.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Maybe it's the big kid, and he's buying some protection.
    Update: my mother in law (who works for the BoE) called the lady and she ripped up the bill :lol::lol:

Now time to sit down and have a chat with the 5 year old
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I give my 4 year old grandson a nice snack and a drink to take with him to his 1/2 day pre-K at the local school district every day.
    He has since found out that if he "forgot" to bring his snack he gets one from the teacher, which may or may not be better than the one I've given him, depending on the day.
    Apparently, I've found out, if the teacher's snack is yummier, it turns out he has magically forgotten to bring snack that day!

Also I have a step grandson in middle school. He is given the $25 or so in a CHECK of course, for lunch every 10 days. This should take care of it. Turns out though that if he chooses to buy lunch and then run up the bill on a couple of snacks or an extra sandwich or an extra dessert, he is allowed to do so in the lunch room so that his lunch money runs out long before the 10 days is up. Then the bill comes!

So, after several bills and several unproductive talks with D, his stepmom (my daughter) decided that well, if you eat up all your lunch money in the 1st week, I guess you won't have lunch in the 2nd week. So what happens? The school is mandated to feed him so they give him a PB&J sandwich each day that he doesn't have lunch money left...AND they send a FULL BILL for that.

Ridiculous!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    StillHere wrote:
    I give my 4 year old grandson a nice snack and a drink to take with him to his 1/2 day pre-K at the local school district every day.
    He has since found out that if he "forgot" to bring his snack he gets one from the teacher, which may or may not be better than the one I've given him, depending on the day.
    Apparently, I've found out, if the teacher's snack is yummier, it turns out he has magically forgotten to bring snack that day!

Also I have a step grandson in middle school. He is given the $25 or so in a CHECK of course, for lunch every 10 days. This should take care of it. Turns out though that if he chooses to buy lunch and then run up the bill on a couple of snacks or an extra sandwich or an extra dessert, he is allowed to do so in the lunch room so that his lunch money runs out long before the 10 days is up. Then the bill comes!

So, after several bills and several unproductive talks with D, his stepmom (my daughter) decided that well, if you eat up all your lunch money in the 1st week, I guess you won't have lunch in the 2nd week. So what happens? The school is mandated to feed him so they give him a PB&J sandwich each day that he doesn't have lunch money left...AND they send a FULL BILL for that.

Ridiculous!

Wow...I'm SHOCKED they are allowed to have PB within 100 yards of a school.
    my kids were buying extra lunches, extra slice of pizza, dessert, breakfast :fp:

these kids are not cheap.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    StillHere wrote:

Ridiculous!

Wow...I'm SHOCKED they are allowed to have PB within 100 yards of a school.

I KNOW!!! For the longest time when I prepared snack for the 4 year old I never gave him PB or anything with nuts in it in case one of his classmates has a peanut allergy...it seems someone always does and generally you just don't send PB with kids to school any more right?
    SOOOOOoooooo I went to the Grandparents Luncheon a couple of months ago with the other one, the 5 year old who is in Full Day Kindergarten at the same school. We all ate the lunch same as the kids did. We got a great sandwich AND celery sticks with Peanut Butter Dip! I was amazed. Who woulda thunk?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

I remember back when all the kids got was a book of tickets and a calendar menu.

Enchalada Day! Don't like enchaladas? Good! you get to bring your lunch, forgot your lunch? too bad, you get to starve! When I was in HS, we had to pay with cash, no cash? There was no option to 'put it on my tab'.

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to let kids run rampant with a lunch card, pick and choose what they want, then run up a bill should be shot. Obviously, the kids aren't learning how to budget the money on their cards.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

I remember back when all the kids got was a book of tickets and a calendar menu.

Enchalada Day! Don't like enchaladas? Good! you get to bring your lunch, forgot your lunch? too bad, you get to starve! When I was in HS, we had to pay with cash, no cash? There was no option to 'put it on my tab'.

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to let kids run rampant with a lunch card, pick and choose what they want, then run up a bill should be shot. Obviously, the kids aren't learning how to budget the money on their cards.

we had our choice....lunch for X amount in cash, or nothing.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:

Can they buy alcohol and cigarettes with these cards?
    Unused to sell my moms sandwiches for 3 bucks a pop. :lol:

What goes around comes around
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,147
    School District taxes are insane in NYC!!!

My kid is going to public school thats for sure :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    RKCNDY wrote:

sure...sell them to the fat kids for 75 cents on teh dollar and then use that cash to buy the vices. :P :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

if you don't have kids, you should get a 75% discount on school taxes.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

we had our choice....lunch for X amount in cash, or nothing.

We paid $0.95 for lunch. What they were serving was your only choice. Nothing else.

Junior high you could pick burgers fries etc. Some girl really wanted to be my friend and tried to bribe me to be her friend by taking me thru the lunch line...her mom was the head lunch lady.

I'm sure they buy junk food with the cards and then go out to the smoking pit and trade food for smokes and beer with the homeless guy...so essentially yes. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I don't remember school
    81 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

if you don't have kids, you should get a 75% discount on school taxes.

THIS^^^

people already get tax credits for having kids, they should pay more for resources they use. I looked at my property taxes and close to 68% of it goes to 'education' and related entities. So I am paying for a bunch of shit I will never use. Don't start that 'investing in the future' crap either, I already 'invested' in a kid who told me my house smells great. :roll:

- Christopher McCandless
    it takes a village
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    LloydXmas wrote:

oh my gosh I never heard of this, that's just wrong.
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    LloydXmas wrote:

My old man thinks it's hilarious. He said paybacks a bitch. :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    RKCNDY wrote:

people already get tax credits for having kids, they should pay more for resources they use. I looked at my property taxes and close to 68% of it goes to 'education' and related entities. So I am paying for a bunch of shit I will never use. Don't start that 'investing in the future' crap either, I already 'invested' in a kid who told me my house smells great. :roll:

68%....i'll have to check mine...i think it's about half. maybe a bit more.

last time i loooked, i calcualted how much was going to pensions. :fp:

stupid fuckin .gov. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    RKCNDY wrote:

Yes we has punch cards and the nuns did not mess around.
    It was like a undercover mission to the garbage cans to dare throw away anything uneaten.... If they caught you they spun you right back around and made sure you ate your lunch. And yes HS was cash if you forgot money you simply didn't eat.

The elementary school my kids went to didn't care what the kids ate.... Only want chicken and fries fine no need for a veg or a salad.....they would feed the kids half the lunch for the same price.

The kids have to put in student id's for the lunch account. Same thing happened to my oldest.... He always packed his lunch but we still ended up with charges... Only difference was we never got a bill, his report card just never came :fp:
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    RKCNDY wrote:

:lol: Mine was the same way. The burgers tasted so weird. I stopped eating it one day when I bit into something hard and it looked like a small human tooth. Gross.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)