Options

I've Got An Unknown Artist Here, Need Help.

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,946
edited March 2013 in Other Music
I dig these two songs, but who is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M_9d_qrIw
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I dig these two songs, but who is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M_9d_qrIw

It had to have been a demo. I know the guitar work. I can't pin it down.
    It's definitely not Ed's vocals or the entire Pearl Jam members.

I'm good with sound but more on this forum are way more knowledgeable than me.

But that is a rare find. and it's pretty :D
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I like it, would be interested to know as well. Anyone try to shazam or sound hound it?
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I tried Shazam and no dice.

Also did several google and youtube searches for the song titles and nothing came up.

Could it possibly be a local band? It does sound familiar, but it's generic 90s rock so it could be just about anybody.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Hmm after the first few lines Toad the Wet Sprocket jumped right out at me. But as it went on I think I heard about 10 '90's bands blend into it, ha. Sorry.

But yea, that guy oozes of the '90's sound.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i thought it sounded like kevin martin from candlebox at first, but then after a few more seconds....not so much.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,776
    shortstack wrote:
    i thought it sounded like kevin martin from candlebox at first, but then after a few more seconds....not so much.

Candlebox was my first thought.

here's a demo of theirs for comparison. And they were from Seattle, so Tacoma would be fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCi98-6Y8FQ
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    wow, cool guys. But no info hey. I think it will be a tough one...was hoping for some seattle or tacoma people from back in the day to recognize it. 57 views and nothing yet.

I really enjoy both songs. I listen to them before going out to shows often.

the mystery lives on....

oh yeah, and the thing about it being a demo.....why press a 45 on colored vinyl as a DEMO? demos are for quick easy listens by PR people. in the 90's they didnt have turntables plugged in at the office, right?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Just listened to the song, it sounds erielly like a young Ed. Then again I listened to it from my iPhone so sound isnt the best.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,776
    oh yeah, and the thing about it being a demo.....why press a 45 on colored vinyl as a DEMO? demos are for quick easy listens by PR people. in the 90's they didnt have turntables plugged in at the office, right?

It's definitely a test pressing rather than a demo. I just posted a demo of Candlebox to hear Candlebox without the major label production for comparison.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150

It's definitely a test pressing rather than a demo. I just posted a demo of Candlebox to hear Candlebox without the major label production for comparison.

Candlebox demos? Wouldn't mind hearing those...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    badbrains wrote:
    Just listened to the song, it sounds erielly like a young Ed. Then again I listened to it from my iPhone so sound isnt the best.

Not that my pc computer speakers are great, but I picked up hints of several 90s alt rock singers...Ed, Hoon and Candlebox guy are the ones poppin out at me.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    yeah it does sound like Candlebox. I tried googling the lyrics but came up empty.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    shortstack wrote:

Candlebox was my first thought.

here's a demo of theirs for comparison. And they were from Seattle, so Tacoma would be fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCi98-6Y8FQ

It is not candlebox. They make me nauseated. It's after green river. pre Mookie Demo. I'm sure.

I'm so sure... I won't listen to any more candle box. EVER. Demos, Live, Radio, CD's, etc. They rub me the wrong way. I can't even click the links. My ears will bleed.

"I don't want it no more" (never did)
  • Options
    while I dont dislike candlebox, i feel it is NOT them also.

i also feel it has nothing to do with pearl jam.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    STAYSEA wrote:

It is not candlebox. They make me nauseated. It's after green river. pre Mookie Demo. I'm sure.

I'm so sure... I won't listen to any more candle box. EVER. Demos, Live, Radio, CD's, etc. They rub me the wrong way. I can't even click the links. My ears will bleed.

"I don't want it no more" (never did)

no one actually said that they liked candlebox

are you saying you think it's andrew wood?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    i also feel it has nothing to do with pearl jam.
    I agree with this. It could be any one of the dozens of sound-alike bands that came out in the 90's but it doesn't sound at all like Ed (the part at 2:40 is too high for him).

The voice does have an annoyingly familiar sound to it though, like it's on the tip of your tongue and you just can't figure it out :mad:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Yea clearly it's not PJ related. Interesting find though, that's sweet.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    NKO. Sounds like a band that just wanted to record their two song's. 45's may have been cheaper than disc's.
  • Options
    donnaruhl wrote:
    NKO. Sounds like a band that just wanted to record their two song's. 45's may have been cheaper than disc's.

THAT would be really cool if, it were the case. maybe, just maybe. this is just a band, that had two songs, never got signed and that was it.

very cool to think about, especially how good these songs now sound 15-20 years later.