Temple Grandin's Brain

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,665
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
A fascinating article about Temple Grandin's brain that illustrates possible reasons why Grandin has such remarkable abilities despite (and probably because of) her autism. The amazing and wonderful, Temple Grandin!

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/april/ ... UyM4FeXR3B

Animal scientist Temple Grandin has an extraordinary mind. Probably the world’s most famous person with autism, she designed widely used livestock handling systems to reduce animal suffering. She is not just autistic but an autistic savant, meaning that she has unusual cognitive abilities, such as a photographic memory and excellent spatial skills. She “thinks in pictures,” she says, helping her understand what animals perceive.

Her brain is equally remarkable, according to a team of neuroimaging experts who study brain changes in autism at the University of Utah. Neuroscientist Jason Cooperrider and colleagues scanned Grandin’s brain using three different methods: high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which captures the structure of the brain; diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), a method to trace the connections between brain regions; and functional MRI, which indicates brain activity. The images reveal an unusual neural landscape that reflects Grandin’s deficits and talents.

verall, the right side of her brain dominates. One theory of autistic savantism suggests that during fetal development or early in life, some developmental abnormality affects the brain’s left side, resulting in the difficulties that many autistic people have with words and social interaction, functions typically processed by the left hemisphere.

To make up for this, the right hemisphere sometimes overcompensates, which can lead to special abilities in music, art, and visual memory. Savantism is not well-understood, but between a tenth and a third of people with autism may have some of these abilities.

Cooperrider’s team also discovered that Grandin’s amygdala, the almond-shaped organ said to play an important role in emotional processing, is larger than normal. This was not a surprising finding because among other functions, this region processes fear and anxiety, affective states often affected by autism. Her fusiform gyrus is smaller than normal—also not a surprise, since this region is involved in recognizing faces, a social skill that autism may disrupt.

Every brain is different, especially where autism is concerned, and Cooperrider’s study compares Grandin’s brain with only three controls, not enough to draw broad conclusions. But some of the patterns Cooperrider and his colleagues discovered back up other studies, and suggest new regions to explore.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Interesting, I have read several of her books. She does amazing work.

I have always known I saw/processed things differently than other people, so the way she thinks pretty much makes sense to me. Hell, at the clinic, I was the person that the aggressive animals didn't have a problem with. If there was a really scared exotic that wouldn't let anybody hold them, the doctor would ask me to handle it...the animal didn't freak out.

I highly recommend people see the movie about her. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Interesting, I have read several of her books. She does amazing work.

I have always known I saw/processed things differently than other people, so the way she thinks pretty much makes sense to me. Hell, at the clinic, I was the person that the aggressive animals didn't have a problem with. If there was a really scared exotic that wouldn't let anybody hold them, the doctor would ask me to handle it...the animal didn't freak out.

I highly recommend people see the movie about her. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278469/
    That is an excellent movie. She's a fascinating person.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    :D

I tried to explain this about my strange brother. We had his head scanned long ago. I'm glad to see some legit proof.
  • Thanks for posting that article. She is an amazing individual, isn't she?!

I live near her and saw her at Whole Foods one day. I got all nervous and thought about asking for her autograph, but didn't because I thought she'd think, "huh?!"

Claire Danes absolutely nails her voice in the movie!
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,665
    Yes! to the movie! One of my favorites!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    very interesting Brian, thank you