Too much crap? A moment of self reflection

BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 481
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I recently scored a few posters that I had been hoping to add to my collection. One arrived this morning, so I decided to reorganize my posters. I only collect posters from shows that I have been to. Going through my them proved to be a nice trip down memory lane. This poster is from the show that I brought my little sister to, that poster is from the show that the band played 45 minutes past their curfew, and so on. Then panic, WHERE IS MY WEEN POSTER FROM 2003? DID SLIDE BEHIND ANOTHER POSTER? DID IT GET LEFT BEHIND IN A MOVE? WHERE COULD IT BE? WHAT IS HAPPENING? I'M SCARED, HOLD ME!!!!!!!

I started to search every nook and cranny of my house. Going through closets of that contain things I have not seen in years. I stop and take a deep breath. Looking around at the mess I have made, I ask myself "How did I end up with all this stuff and do I really want/need it? Am I just contributing to the depletion of our natural resources by purchasing unnecessary goods? If people don't purchase unnecessary goods will our economy collapse? Do these things define who I am?

John Lennon's Lyrics start going through my head:

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

Will this result is a drastic change is my consumer habits? I doubt it, but it felt good to questions by behaviors. It felt good to realize I DON'T NEED ALL THIS STUFF. I will probably take a nice size load of things over to the Salvation Army today. Maybe I will think for a couple extra seconds before making impulse buys.

Now back to my original question, Where is that Ween poster?
Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I do this once in a while too, go through stuff and I am like, why am I keeping this?

I think it's human nature to want to purge every once in a while. It's healthy.

I hope you find your poster. :D
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    hallelujah ...

just know this ... the current metrics that define what is a strong economy are a fraud ... all they do is foster an environment that redistributes wealth to the already rich ... it's why the top 1% in america has 40% of the wealth ... we definitely don't need most of the stuff ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... PKKQnijnsM
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,197
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Does anyone own a Shoedini?

Hmm, no more bending ...

:think:
  • BikePHLBikePHL Posts: 481
    polaris_x wrote:
    hallelujah ...

just know this ... the current metrics that define what is a strong economy are a fraud ... all they do is foster an environment that redistributes wealth to the already rich ... it's why the top 1% in america has 40% of the wealth ... we definitely don't need most of the stuff ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... PKKQnijnsM

Great video. We definitely need a major paradigm shifts when it comes the economy and the environment (and a whole bunch of other things). The kind of change we need will not come easily.
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater - June 25, 2011, Tres Mountains - TLA - March 23, 2011, Brad - World Cafe Live- Oct. 10, 2010, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009, Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 12, 2009, Eddie Vedder Solo - Tower Theater- June 11,2009, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008, Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 19, 2008, Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006, Wachovia Center - Oct 03, 2005, Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004, Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003, Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003, First Union Spectrum Arena - Apr 28, 2003, Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29, 1998, RFK Stadium - Jun 14, 1998
    Jason P wrote:
    Does anyone own a Shoedini?

Hmm, no more bending ...

:think:

My grandfather may very well have one of those. He has a storage unit full of infomercial crap that never worked.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    BikePHL wrote:
    I will probably take a nice size load of things over to the Salvation Army today. Maybe I will think for a couple extra seconds before making impulse buys.

don't forget to save the receipt and claim it on your taxes next year.
    http://satruck.org/donation-value-guide
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I did that last fall, I went through everything I had, gave stuff to friends, sold some things and reduced all my possessions down to 23 boxes, two hula hoops and a bicycle and put them in a container. They were to be shipped to the US on a boat, I moved there from Germany. The majority of my clothes and my most precious records I took with me on the plane. I felt awkward, but also freed.
    Unfortunately, hurricane Sandy hit the ship when it was sitting in New York harbour and flooded the container six feet high in nasty, stinky water. So after my stuff was delivered, I had to go through it again and throw a lot of things away, amongst them my beloved Doc Martens that I got since I was 16, lots of photographs and books and clothes. Everything was mouldy and wet ...
    After the initial shock I'm fine with the situation. The insurance money helped a little :P Some of my things are just memories now, but that's okay, and I value everything I have now even more.
    Funny how life goes :)

OP, I hope you'll find your poster eventually!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Aside from vinyl (and posters, if that's your thing), and, of course, very sentimental stuff like photos, and a few tools and home reno items, I figure that if you haven't found any use for it within a year, you don't need it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I did that last fall, I went through everything I had, gave stuff to friends, sold some things and reduced all my possessions down to 23 boxes, two hula hoops and a bicycle and put them in a container. They were to be shipped to the US on a boat, I moved there from Germany. The majority of my clothes and my most precious records I took with me on the plane. I felt awkward, but also freed.
    Unfortunately, hurricane Sandy hit the ship when it was sitting in New York harbour and flooded the container six feet high in nasty, stinky water. So after my stuff was delivered, I had to go through it again and throw a lot of things away, amongst them my beloved Doc Martens that I got since I was 16, lots of photographs and books and clothes. Everything was mouldy and wet ...
    After the initial shock I'm fine with the situation. The insurance money helped a little :P Some of my things are just memories now, but that's okay, and I value everything I have now even more.
    Funny how life goes :)

OP, I hope you'll find your poster eventually!

Wow, thats a rough one. Glad to hear things are working out. An experience like that definitely gives you some perspective.
    FYI - Ween poster was found (which is nice).
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631
    hey now that you found that poster, ill buy it!!!!!

did that just blow your mind?? jk
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I often have the same thoughts. I just went through and purged some books, DVD's, and video games. (and I still feel I have too many of these) I have considered going to work on the CD's, and I just can't bring myself to do it. I considered selling all of them except for my PJ stuff. I look at my basement, and it is full of boxes of old toys, baseball cards, and comics. Can't get rid of them. I'm happy I was able to do a mini-purge, and I know I should do a lot more. Maybe someday.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23