Anyone been to a NASCAR race?

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
The Mrs. and I are going to the Auto Club 400 on Sunday......I was in the mood for an outdoor sporting event, and since we can take a train to the track (it is rare to take trains for 60 mile trips in L.A.), it sounded like a fun endeavor.

Is the racing pretty exciting?

RATT is playing a pre-race show...that should serve as a clue to the overall experience! :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've been to an arca race. :lol:

i would suggest ear plugs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Been to Laguna Seca. Bring sunscreen, and stock up on water.

not sure how the track you are going to is set up, but at Laguna, the stands are just a very small part of the track, so you are usually just sitting waiting for the cars to come back around.

If your tickets let you have access to the pits, that's the fun part. There are lots of vendors there, and I got a bunch of free stuff.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I've been to a couple of concerts at Texas Motor Speedway, but not a race. In high school I took a friend over there once to pick up his paycheck, he had worked at a restaurant on the infield during the race a few days earlier, and we took my car on the track. I thought we were going to get in trouble, so I wouldn't do it and one of the two friends I was with drove while I sat in the back seat. It was scary, I had no clue how steep those turns were until we got on one of them. I kid you not, I turned my head to the side, just to look out the window, and I was looking straight down at the infield grass. My friend was freaking out, but it was one of those things where speed is keeping you grounded, if we'd just stopped we would have tumbled down the track.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    RKCNDY wrote:

not sure how the track you are going to is set up, but at Laguna, the stands are just a very small part of the track, so you are usually just sitting waiting for the cars to come back around.

If your tickets let you have access to the pits, that's the fun part. There are lots of vendors there, and I got a bunch of free stuff.

The track is a 2 mile oval, and the stands are parallel with the front straightaway. Our seats are about 1/4 of the way down the straightaway. We got free pitpasses thru AAA, so we will def have a look!

Not sure for which driver we will root...maybe Kyle Busch, because his race car has M&Ms on it! :D
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,103
    edited March 2013
    like everyone else I was piss drunk beforehand and then watched a pack of cars drive in a circle for hours. Boring as can be but it was a good experience overall. WAY too much sun and beer and damn those nascar rides are super loud when all in a pack. Rumbles felts and not just heard!
    Enjoy Fontucky! :wave:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Haven't been to a NASCAR race but I've been to fontucky to watch Indy car races...utilize the pit passes...there's more to see there...be in your seats for the start and finish...that's all you really need to see of the race
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

The track is a 2 mile oval, and the stands are parallel with the front straightaway. Our seats are about 1/4 of the way down the straightaway. We got free pitpasses thru AAA, so we will def have a look!

Not sure for which driver we will root...maybe Kyle Busch, because his race car has M&Ms on it! :D

that sounds like a fun time! Oh, I thought it was cheezy, but I did end up buying a lanyard/pass holder thingie. They want to see it when you go into the stands, when you go into the pits. It was just easier to wear the pass around your neck.

Kasey Kahne is from Washington state. They like to talk about him when he does good, but we're not much of a NASCAR state (we voted down building a track 3 times) :lol: .
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Also it's a great place to people watch. :lol:
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    If its a real sunday Nascar race....ITS TRUELY AMAZING!!!!

I'm not big on nascar but my parents are casual fans that go to a race roughly once every 2 years or so...

they finally begged enough, and i finally gave in, with obviously nothing else to do that weekend some 15 years ago...

I will be the 1st to admit it....It was awesome....with a capital A...
    I've been to some amazing places on our planet and short of walking on the moon, i've done some really amazing things myself....but, i have to be honest with you...going to a nascar race is...we'll you just have to experience it....
    Walking down that fence line literally 10' away from you a pack of 40 cars doing 195 mph.... :fp: :fp:
    First time i did it...our seats were like 30 rows up or so...bout the 3rd lap, my old man says..."go walk down there along the fence when they come by"...
    they got this white line your supposed to try not to cross, but when its crowded or when you want to...you can cross it...
    and i was walking toward the pack coming right at me,...then when they got like 50' from passing me...i walked over the line, next to the fence real quick...
    I shit you not...swear on my gm's grave,...that fucking pack flew past me...HOLY SHIIIIITTTTT...
    these 3 older ladies bout 20' front of me immediatly got blown over (was obviously their 1st race),..i mean the wind/force literally blew them flat on their backs...and one of them had a big floppy hat that was gone-dy... literally flew up in the air into the stands somewhere...
    I'm 6-2 200lbs...and i immediatley,...jumped to my knees' in a ball/crouched position as the cars...bam bam, wham wham, bam bam...just the emotions and force and air and lil rubber tire pebbles...pounded my ass for the 5 seconds or so it took for the whole pack to pass me...
    shit you not!!! it was fn' awesome.... i did my best to describe...but you really have to be there...
    Watching it on TV.....sorry,...not the same sport by any stretch...
    Try explaining a pj show to someone who's never been...
    not that i'm trying to compare.....
    Either way....have fun this weekend..
    thanks for the truly varied opinions!

Looking forward to a day outside in the sun!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    no but always wanted to, tixz are pretty expensive though. Closest i came was at firefly which was next to the Monster Mile in Dover.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    with the big accident they had this year....lots of fans got hurt, etc etc,..
    i guarentee the double fence with a gap in between (like prison yards)...is coming in the future..

so, i'm going to hit my 3rd race of my life this year....while it's still crazy dangerous/cool...

so far been to Daytona, Michigan...and will hit the Kansas city track this summer..
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    I went to Louden NH back in the Earnhardt, Wallace, Jarrett days...we could smoke, drink, bring our own coolers...etc...it was a blast
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Take a small cooler, like a 12 or 18 can size. Most tracks will let them in as long as they fit under the seat. It's much cheaper than paying for food and drinks at the track. Just don't bring glass anything. It's like going through airport security getting into the track. If you don't mind spending 50 or so bucks, go to one of the trailers where they sell/rent the scanners and rent one. Listening to what the drivers say on the radio can be quite entertaining! And if you want to hear something different, most scanners can pick up the radio and TV broadcasts.

I used to go to a couple of races a year. Had season tickets to Bristol, but gave them up. Kids and work and moving away from my racing buddies made it too tough for everyone to get the same time off and travel all over. Now I just pencil in one race a year, and it isn't NASCAR. The Indianapolis 500...nothing beats it. There's a reason it's called the Greatest Spectacle in Racing!
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • It's fun. Have a great time!
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • I went to the Pepsi 400 in Daytona a few years ago with my Dad while on a family trip to Florida. I had a good time, people watching was interesting! The only down side was the drunk guy beside me dropping pieces of chicken wings on my leg :nono:
    How was the race?

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    How was the race?

It was fun....amazing to see the cars zoom around the track at such high speeds......I was impressed how each driver had their own merch truck, each with dozens of different items for sale. It is cool how people are allowed into the pit and onto the track before the race...it is a very fan-oriented event.

I was rooting for Kyle Busch...I opted for him because his sponsor is M&M's.....he was in thrid place with a 1/4 lap to go, but the first two cars knocked into each other, so he snuck-in for the victory...very exciting!

After the race, two drivers got into a bit of a scuffle!

It got very loud when the cars were bunched up just before the green flag came out after a yellow caution flag.