Options

Mike Einziger of Incubus recording strings for new PJ album!

Comments

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Didn't realize Brandon Boyd was working on another solo record! IMO The Wild Trapeze was definitely better and more interesting than the last actual Incubus record...

But anyways, I really do hope these are some Pink Floydish strings like we've been saying... Though they are nice, I'm certainly not looking for The End or Just Breathe pt. 2.... Parting Ways pt. 2 is welcome any time.

I love Ed's acoustic ballads, but MUCH MORE in the vein of Off He Goes, Thumbing My Way, etc..
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Jeremy has strings on it, right?
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Jason P wrote:
    Jeremy has strings on it, right?

I believe it does. The difference to me is they didn't feel the need to replicate it exactly like on the album and add a string section (been done to death) when they played it on tour or on SNL (and I know, they didn't play that on SNL in 92, just using it as an example). I dunno, the string section stuff after the last album just seemed cheesy to me... Lukin with strings seems so played out, etc. I only saw Just Breathe once in person and I think it was one of the rare times they played it without a string section.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME!

Incubus easily one of my other fav bands and guitar player/multi instrumentalist/Harvard trained musician Mike Einziger, whether you like Incubus or not, is a genius...

He just tweeted a pic with Eddie and said he's recording strings on a track for the new album!!! 8-)

https://twitter.com/MichaelEinziger

That is great news. :D

I wondered where he had gone. Incubus is a favorite of mine but with him gone from the band the new album wasn't as great as the others.
  • Options
    aennilaennil Posts: 415
    I love all these hints about the boys being in the studio! can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.....
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396

Incubus easily one of my other fav bands and guitar player/multi instrumentalist/Harvard trained musician Mike Einziger, whether you like Incubus or not, is a genius...

He just tweeted a pic with Eddie and said he's recording strings on a track for the new album!!! 8-)

Good news then. :thumbup:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    i think high fidelity 2000 said it best: "ugh" and "no more strings would be fine with me."
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,272
    He is shorter than Eddie, OMG!
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,650
    i'm in favor of anything that's different. The last 3 albums have just been too formulaic. Mid tempo attempts at radio hits, punk inspired song here and there, ballads.

Even if I don't like the album I want it to be because it's just too different. I think that requires them to consciously plan though. Not bring in individual demos and work up parts for them. But i guess at this point I'm just glad they're still around.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited March 2013
    cp3iverson wrote:
    i'm in favor of anything that's different. The last 3 albums have just been too formulaic. Mid tempo attempts at radio hits, punk inspired song here and there, ballads.

I can see that gripe with S/T and especially Backspacer, but don't think there is one thing formulaic about Riot Act. It may be b/c the last 2 albums have been pretty safe, but I'd gladly welcome the experimentation that was going on with Riot Act. I don't think they pulled it off as well as the No Code-Binaural run, but I think they were still pushing themselves creatively.

I think bringing somebody in that's more adept with string arrangements can only be a good thing. Alot of the song description are getting me optimistic, something that can't be said for the lead up to Backspacer.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    Hell yea! I am an Einziger fan! I am looking forward to hear his new tunes.
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Options
    Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 124
    HOLY FUCK! I am insanely excited about this. PJ and Incubus are my top 2 all time favorite bands and I've been disappointed and worried about the hiatus that Incubus has been taking with all their side projects. Mike is an INCREDIBLE guitarist and seriously underrated, this shit just made my day!
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited March 2013
    I was at this tour. Not this show I can't find a good video.

He gets pissed and smashes his guitar. This could be the reason they have parted ways? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGaF_D8eCuA

it's at about 1:44 into the video. Wow.

(I've followed the band for a very long time, my ex husband (in a shitty local band.. :lol: I can say his band is crap and not feel guilty about it :D ) used to open for them and the deftones in the late 90's, There is definitely something different about their vibe lately. Brandon took a hiatus and painted surfboards for a few years)
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options
    Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 124
    Ok let's gets some things straight here. Mike hasn't and has never left Incubus. They are on hiatus and are all doing side projects.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I was at this tour. Not this show I can't find a good video.

He gets pissed and smashes his guitar. This could be the reason they have parted ways? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGaF_D8eCuA

it's at about 1:44 into the video. Wow.

Mike was very much present on Incubus' last album and still has not left the band at all. They're on a hiatus just to take a break from a lot of touring and such... Each member tweets and makes statements about it a lot. They're just venturing into side projects like pj has been.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,573

Harvard trained??? :o
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,650
    i wouldn't mind if Eingziger hung around a little longer and did some writing with Mike and Stone. Get a different feel in this next album!
  • Options
    cmm6734cmm6734 Houston, TX Posts: 569
    That was around the time (I am assuming) that Mike was having serious Carpal Tunnel pain. He had to have surgery for it. I have seen him do this before.
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • Options
    PJ88PJ88 Birthplace of the Toll House Cookie Posts: 1,074
    So awesome to hear! Einziger is insane on guitar to boot!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    :yawn: :yawn: wake me when they announce tour or release date of album ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    This is a very exciting time! I cannot wait to hear this new album! :D It will actually be my first time experiencing the release of a new PJ album, since I discovered them at Bridge in 2010! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    This is a very exciting time! I cannot wait to hear this new album! :D It will actually be my first time experiencing the release of a new PJ album, since I discovered them at Bridge in 2010! :D

Uber-cool.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,178
    Amazing guitarist. Severely underrated.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Can't wait to hear Ole' with strings!!!
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    nym5cbnym5cb Posts: 72
    Incubus is my second favorite band, listen to them almost as much as PJ ;) , but he is EXTREMELY underrated. Writes some amazing riffs and guitar parts that really define a lot of Incubus songs (not to mention Brandon Boyd is an amazing songwriter as well). If you're not really a huge fan and only know the mianstream songs, give "Sick Sad Little World" a listen, off of the album A Crow Left of the Murder. Great riff, or maybe "Just a Phase" off of Morning View one of my personal favorite albums of all time by any band. This collaboration is going to be totally sweet, cannot wait to see what he has to offer. The Sky I Scrape info on some of the demos listed two "trippy" songs, I'm sure Mike has something to do with that. They just have a trippy sound in general, gives them a great vibe. Awesome live too, album can't come soon enough!!! :corn:
    "And i listen, for the voice inside my head... Nothin'... I'll do this one myself."
    5/21/10- MSG
    9/2/11- PJ20 1
    9/3/11- PJ20 2
    9/2/12- Made in America, Philly
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Amazing guitarist. Severely underrated.

Truth.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    nym5cb wrote:
    Incubus is my second favorite band, listen to them almost as much as PJ ;) , but he is EXTREMELY underrated. Writes some amazing riffs and guitar parts that really define a lot of Incubus songs (not to mention Brandon Boyd is an amazing songwriter as well). If you're not really a huge fan and only know the mianstream songs, give "Sick Sad Little World" a listen, off of the album A Crow Left of the Murder. Great riff, or maybe "Just a Phase" off of Morning View one of my personal favorite albums of all time by any band. This collaboration is going to be totally sweet, cannot wait to see what he has to offer. The Sky I Scrape info on some of the demos listed two "trippy" songs, I'm sure Mike has something to do with that. They just have a trippy sound in general, gives them a great vibe. Awesome live too, album can't come soon enough!!! :corn:

You literally just mentioned my two favorite Incubus songs 8-) good work
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,190
    AzWicker wrote:
    Can't wait to hear Ole' with strings!!!

mind-blown-o.gif
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    http://www.1057thepoint.com/Music-News/story.aspx?ID=1917596

It's actually his girlfriend that is recording with Pearl Jam...
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    soxjamsoxjam Posts: 55
    its his GF who is recording with PJ. She has played and toured with a lot of bands including ben harper.