Is there a heating/air guy in the house?

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I have central air.
I want to move the unit from the back of the house to the side of the house, so I can install a porch/deck this summer.
The unit is probably a good 10 years old, we had it tuned up last spring, and it works just fine.
Am I better off just getting a new unit installed?
Or should I just have the old one moved?

1200 sq. ft house

Cost to purchase and have NEW unit installed?
Cost to have existing unit moved?

Anyone?
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    sell the house?

build the deck around it?

seems like moving it would be cheaper, just because you don't have to buy the unit again. but i'm guessing rerouting the electrical and coolant lines as well as pouring a new slab ain't gonna be cheap. i have no basis, but i'd guess $750-1000, toss in anouther $1-$2K if you replace it.

i'm not a hvac guy, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

get a quote...or 10..i'm interested in the number, just cause i'm interested.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    81 wrote:
    sell the house?

seems like moving it would be cheaper, just because you don't have to buy the unit again. but i'm guessing rerouting the electrical and coolant lines as well as pouring a new slab ain't gonna be cheap. i have no basis, but i'd guess $750-1000, toss in anouther $1-$2K if you replace it.

I want to attach the deck to the house. But I may just have a free standing deck, just to avoid the nonsesne with the air unit. I am going to build a deck, only 1-2 feet of the ground, that truly does not need to be attached to the house. If i just come 5-6 feet of the back of the house, and have a free standing deck, I am going to avoid the cost and headache of dealing with the a/c unit. I dont have any simple way of installing an entrance from the house to the deck, so whats the point of attaching the deck to the house? Right? A free standing deck, built 4-6 feet off the back of the house would work. Right?

Decisions
    Decisions.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    so I can install a porch/deck this summer.

I dont know the answer, but I'll be over for beers and steaks this summer. :P

I think it all depends on how far you'd have to move the unit and if you'd be able to use a portion of the existing lines for coolant and electrical.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    tough to say without knowing what you yard looks like
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    sell the house?

I want to attach the deck to the house. But I may just have a free standing deck, just to avoid the nonsesne with the air unit. I am going to build a deck, only 1-2 feet of the ground, that truly does not need to be attached to the house. If i just come 5-6 feet of the back of the house, and have a free standing deck, I am going to avoid the cost and headache of dealing with the a/c unit. I dont have any simple way of installing an entrance from the house to the deck, so whats the point of attaching the deck to the house? Right? A free standing deck, built 4-6 feet off the back of the house would work. Right?

Decisions
    Decisions.

gazebo.
    better yet:

furniture-sale_2255_3839899169
    81 wrote:
    The yard is the size of a fucking football field. :lol::lol::lol:
    And there is a fucking butt ugly gazebo right in the middle of it, that I cant wait to run over with my car this spring! Actually I may just borrow your truck for an hour.
    81 wrote:
    The yard is the size of a fucking football field. :lol::lol::lol:
    And there is a fucking butt ugly gazebo right in the middle of it, that I cant wait to run over with my car this spring! Actually I may just borrow your truck for an hour.

gazebo you say :think:

i might have a use for that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    why don't you build around the unit? Build a lattice type contraption to "hide" the unit and you're good to go with attaching the deck to the house. Just my two cents though
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    new concrete pad
    move/new electric service
    etc

not seeing where the existing unit is and how it would interfere with the new deck, i'd say leave it

but, if you don't move it and build around it, remember in the summer that while you're on the deck you will hear it go on and off and have the fan blowing hot air
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    edited March 2013
    Building around it makes the most sense. Moving it as is may cause lots of issues you don't want nor need to deal with, and replacing a perfectly good one will be a major added expense. Although the noise from the fan may be annoying . Getting as many estimates as possible seems like the best approach.

Just my opinion.

Spring projects are the best.

:P
    Post edited by QuarterToTen on
    Nice shirt.
    norm wrote:
    the fan blowing hot air

so it'd be like haveing two speedy's on the deck. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    the fan blowing hot air

so it'd be like haveing two speedy's on the deck. :P

:lol::lol::lol:
    why don't you build around the unit? Build a lattice type contraption to "hide" the unit and you're good to go with attaching the deck to the house. Just my two cents though
    Thats what I am thinking. But I dont want the damn thing to look half-assed. :lol::lol::lol:
    Not that the gazebo thing I have been looking at for 3 summers isnt already butt ugly. :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    new concrete pad
    move/new electric service
    etc

not seeing where the existing unit is and how it would interfere with the new deck, i'd say leave it

but, if you don't move it and build around it, remember in the summer that while you're on the deck you will hear it go on and off and have the fan blowing hot air
    Im basically looking at building a 16x 20 deck.
    I can attach 8-10 feet of the deck to the house, then come off 6ft or so, to go around the A/C unit, then go back out the additional 6-8ft. with the deck. It would work, but I am just wondering how goofy it will look.

Basically half the deck would be attached to the house, with the other half, off the house, 4-6 ft. or so.
    can we get an address so we can google image your back yard :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Thats what I am thinking. But I dont want the damn thing to look half-assed. :lol::lol::lol:
    Not that the gazebo thing I have been looking at for 3 summers isnt already butt ugly. :lol::lol:

Send me pics of where you want to put the deck...and I"ll devise a plan so it doesn't look like a horses ass.

And the gazebo...oh hell. Run the damn thing over already :lol:

Send me pics of where you want to put the deck...and I"ll devise a plan so it doesn't look like a horses ass.

When we moved in to the house, Kathy says: We can make that Gazebo look nice, and have a backyard wedding.

I look at Kathy and say: I was thinking of running the thing over with my car.

True story.
    probably wouldn't look too bad if you build something around it to hide...lattice work, maybe grow a vine-like plant to cover the lattice

When we moved in to the house, Kathy says: We can make that Gazebo look nice, and have a backyard wedding.

True story.

What's taking you so long then?
    norm wrote:
    probably wouldn't look too bad if you build something around it to hide...lattice work, maybe grow a vine-like plant to cover the lattice
    So I have spent 2 years going to Menards, Home Depot designing my deck(computers are a beautiful thing). The latest plans have a nice cutout for a grill, and a circular cutout for our patio table. It has an entrance on one side of the deck, and another entrance to the back yard. It looks pretty damned nice. Cost is $1700 in materials. Not that bad at all. Cant wait to have estimates on the cost of building this. :lol::lol::lol:

I am sure I will tell more than one contractor to go fuck himself. :lol::lol::lol:
    Contactors are no better than car saleman. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

True story.

wait until the wrigley show, have a bunch of people over and bonfire that fucker! :lol:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:

True story.

wait until the wrigley show, have a bunch of people over and bonfire that fucker! :lol:

Best idea ever.
    norm wrote:

True story.

Best idea ever.

I second that motion
    norm wrote:

True story.

Best idea ever.

build it and we will come.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8540,d.aWM

Ok here we go.
    The 1st pic it shows, or just click the top pic on the right.
    If I were to build something like this, but only have 1/2 attached to the house, and as you look at the pic, the left hand side would come off the house 4-6ft or so, then continue on. How ridiculous would that look?
  • ja185756ja185756 Posts: 5
    1- Move the condenser as the noise will drive you to boot heroin to stop the piercing fan noise
    2- The deck would never look correct if you build around the ac unit
    3- I will be moving 2 3 ton condensers from the back patio to the side yard as the noise in the summer on the upper deck is just a nuisance and when I built 10 years ago i cut corners to get done faster and now regret the placement for mostly noise reasons.
    4- Remember to recover the r-22 as the ozone may explode if you just dump the gas.
    5- The 1 benefit to shit canning the old unit and going new is that the new federal mandate requires all new ac equipment to be 13 s.e.e.r. or more energy efficient, so you'll save money in the long run and also the new units no longer use r-22 , but now use more environmentally friendly gas.
    So something to think about.
    GOOD LUCK
    Or I just build a patio, and say "Fuck It All!!!"

:P
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=decks&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQFjAA&url=http://www.decks.com/&ei=0EZHUeHQF4mmqgGW-YCwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHA-5BVei6C2vf9O-o_eE8jdFdnVg&bvm=bv.43828540,d.aWM

Ok here we go.
    If I were to build something like this, but only have 1/2 attached to the house, and as you look at the pic, the left hand side would come off the house 4-6ft or so, then continue on. How ridiculous would that look?
    why don't you wrap it around the corner of the house?
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=decks&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQFjAA&url=http://www.decks.com/&ei=0EZHUeHQF4mmqgGW-YCwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHA-5BVei6C2vf9O-o_eE8jdFdnVg&bvm=bv.43828540,d.aWM

Ok here we go.
    why don't you wrap it around the corner of the house?
    HUH?
    Explain please.
    Give me a visual.