Options

The Sustainable Economy

polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
edited March 2013 in A Moving Train
ok ... i know i'm not an economist and that my understanding of the whole nuts and bolts is limited at best ... having said that - i'm pretty sure our current model is fucking moronic ... :mrgreen:

growth, gdp, consumption, etc.. who the heck came up with these metrics to determine the health of an economy? ... those things might have been ok before we learned that there was a thing called consequence! ...

to me the most important thing an economy should be is sustainable ... that means - if a new fish species is discovered ... we could send out a gazillion fishing boats and fish it to death and create massive growth and jobs but after a year or so - it would be all gone ... industries need to be sustainable ... and i haven't even gotten into my treehugger components ...

there needs to be a new metric that factors in sustainability ... in our simplest forms ... we need food and shelter and access to education and health care ... the "health" of a country or state should be connected to those things ...

the current model is a sham ... globalization and free trade agreements have done nothing but create a massive prosperity gap, environmental destruction and mass suffering ... it's time to play it a different way ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    But if we lived in a Utopian world, there would be no need for capitalism and whoever ends up with the most money wins. Or having science fix nature by making seeds that after one crop kill themselves. Or that are resistant to pests, yet kill off bees. We would have empathy and be able to express it without comparing it to a worse story that you've got. We'd live on 24 hour clocks that don't have work interupting it. Or we would have no concept of time except for the sun rising and setting, as time would make no difference to anybody. Well I'll stop now. :)

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    But if we lived in a Utopian world, there would be no need for capitalism and whoever ends up with the most money wins. Or having science fix nature by making seeds that after one crop kill themselves. Or that are resistant to pests, yet kill off bees. We would have empathy and be able to express it without comparing it to a worse story that you've got. We'd live on 24 hour clocks that don't have work interupting it. Or we would have no concept of time except for the sun rising and setting, as time would make no difference to anybody. Well I'll stop now. :)

:lol:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    polaris_x wrote:
    ok ... i know i'm not an economist and that my understanding of the whole nuts and bolts is limited at best ... having said that - i'm pretty sure our current model is fucking moronic ... :mrgreen:

growth, gdp, consumption, etc.. who the heck came up with these metrics to determine the health of an economy? ... those things might have been ok before we learned that there was a thing called consequence! ...

to me the most important thing an economy should be is sustainable ... that means - if a new fish species is discovered ... we could send out a gazillion fishing boats and fish it to death and create massive growth and jobs but after a year or so - it would be all gone ... industries need to be sustainable ... and i haven't even gotten into my treehugger components ...

there needs to be a new metric that factors in sustainability ... in our simplest forms ... we need food and shelter and access to education and health care ... the "health" of a country or state should be connected to those things ...

the current model is a sham ... globalization and free trade agreements have done nothing but create a massive prosperity gap, environmental destruction and mass suffering ... it's time to play it a different way ...

Wonderful post, Polaris. I love reading this at the start of the day. Like waking up to a great song. :mrgreen:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    We need to build something that the world desires.

We need to figure out how to have a balanced budget and reduce debt. If the day arrives that the credit of the US goes kaput we will be in a grave situation. We need to stop the printing of money and raise some interest rates. The US monetary policy is driven entirely by debt and spending.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    We need to build something that the world desires.

We need to figure out how to have a balanced budget and reduce debt. If the day arrives that the credit of the US goes kaput we will be in a grave situation. We need to stop the printing of money and raise some interest rates. The US monetary policy is driven entirely by debt and spending.

ya ... debt is a joke ... everyone is crying about debt but then interest rates are basically begging people to add debt ... another one of the fraud concepts pushed by the powers that be ...