Options

VINYL MUST-HAVES

KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
edited March 2013 in Lost Dogs
New PJ vinyl collector here and if I'm going to start dropping dead presidents for wax, I gotta know the must-haves. I know the Benny wax is up there - and rare - and pricey. I'd be interested to see what everyone's top 5 are, maybe even why. Thx!
2003 Dallas
2013 Wrigley
2013 Dallas
2013 Oklahoma City
2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
"Take care of one another..." -EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    2001ALLSTAREDDIE2001ALLSTAREDDIE NorCal Posts: 193
    soundtrack to PJ20 is also a must have
    12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    I would def search out Binaural first, maybe No Code next, Riot Act, Avocado, Yield, Lost Dogs etc after that.. Great albums and the packaging of them is badass..
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    I have all of the albums on vinyl except for the Benny so I'm going strictly by my own opinion based on sound quality.

Binaural- Hands down the best sound
    Riot Act- Side 3/4 make this a keeper
    Lost Dogs- Wash on vinyl, enough said
    Avocado- side 4, worth the price alone
    PJ 20 - although I think the song selection sucks
    Live On 2 Legs
    No Code
    Vitalogy/Vs/Ten/Backspacer/live on 10 legs (all sound equal to me)
    Yield (This one needs to be reissued)
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111

Highly agree as it obviously encompasses so much and has a great sound. I would wait on everything else as they will all be re-released soon with all the vinyl mania now.
  • Options
    Damn! Y'all are knowledgable as hell! Thanks for the info.
    I have so much to learn...just call me Grasshopper. :P
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    marcos wrote:

Highly agree as it obviously encompasses so much and has a great sound. I would wait on everything else as they will all be re-released soon with all the vinyl mania now.

Haven't listened to that in a long time. :fp:

I know what I'll be spinning this weekend! :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    all, specially the singles, they are not too many, albums you can find anywhere, plus, there are reissues and more to come...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Top Five

1: the fan club singles
    2. Ten
    3. Vs.
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Anything by The Beatles

that started me going.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Damn! Y'all are knowledgable as hell! Thanks for the info.
    I have so much to learn...just call me Grasshopper. :P

:shock:
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    marcos wrote:

Haven't listened to that in a long time. :fp:

I know what I'll be spinning this weekend! :)

OP. Yes, you need the PJ20 wax. as soon as money allows. This should be placed in a top 5 played, but it's there.
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    If your starting out and wanna get the best bang for your buck go for the reissues of ten/ vs/ vitalogy......3 albums for cheap and live on ten legs to get started.....that would put some pj in your collection and keep some in your wallet!

Top 5....
    1. Lost dogs.....gotta own this one
    2. Pj 20
    3. Binaural
    4. No code
    5. Atleast 1 live album (10 or 2 legs)

Best advice is dont start on vinyl....get a drug habit instead!!! It will be cheaper!! :D
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    juddboz80 wrote:
    If your starting out and wanna get the best bang for your buck go for the reissues of ten/ vs/ vitalogy......3 albums for cheap and live on ten legs to get started.....that would put some pj in your collection and keep some in your wallet!

Top 5....
    1. Lost dogs.....gotta own this one
    2. Pj 20
    3. Binaural
    4. No code
    5. Atleast 1 live album (10 or 2 legs)

Best advice is dont start on vinyl....get a drug habit instead!!! It will be cheaper!! :D

:lol::lol:

I don't know I could have been in rehab by now... Crack is whack.. Vinyl is Crazier?
    to me, it's about the chase. Hours spent ... flipping albums.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    lando wrote:
    Bummer,the only ones I have so far are almost last on your list. :( It's a start though of course.

I really want No Code most next tbh just coz I'd love to have/see the polaroids big.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    landolando Posts: 661
    morello wrote:
    lando wrote:
    Bummer,the only ones I have so far are almost last on your list. :( It's a start though of course.

I really want No Code most next tbh just coz I'd love to have/see the polaroids big.

Yeah I started with the same ones you had and built up, I just plugged away at finding them through here or ebay. One fine ten club gentleman sold me a copy of Riot Act for $60, so it can be done
    Edmonton 93, Vancouver 05, Vancouver 09, Edmonton 11, Vancouver 11
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    lando wrote:
    morello wrote:
    lando wrote:

Yeah I started with the same ones you had and built up, I just plugged away at finding them through here or ebay. One fine ten club gentleman sold me a copy of Riot Act for $60, so it can be done
    Yeah that's my plan, just kind of plug away at it as they come up. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    Mad Season - Above (Fortunately there's a re-issue set to hit stores on RSD '13)
    Neil Young w/Pearl Jam - Mirrorball

Head over to pjcollectors.com for a look at all things collectible with PJ wax.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,535
    New PJ vinyl collector here and if I'm going to start dropping dead presidents for wax, I gotta know the must-haves. I know the Benny wax is up there - and rare - and pricey. I'd be interested to see what everyone's top 5 are, maybe even why. Thx!

Solider Field LP - 1st pressing.

I have one available for sale if you're interested.

#shamelessplug
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I'd go with the reissues, first. They are easy to get.

As much as I love my PJ vinyl collection, there's not much there that is "must own" when it comes to vinyl. They all have the same mastering job as the cd. The only differences you'll hear are the inherent differences between cd and vinyl, and honestly isn't much on most of their tunes.

You'd be better off blowing large sums of money on bands that actually give a crap about how their vinyl sounds.
  • Options
    Binaural sounds different to my ears, but yes - many other bands master things separately for vinyl.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I think Yield sounds alot different between vinyl and cd.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    they all sound great with a decent set up. that's the key IMO...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Just so long as you don't start looking for an orange The Fixer until I have one... :D
  • Options
    The reality is that most vinyl is not mastered specifically for vinyl...as there is little need if done properly the first time.

These are great reads, if anyone is interested...
    http://productionadvice.co.uk/vinyl-mastering/
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... vinyl.html

And yeah, I have an orange fixer 45. That thing's likely available to whomever wants to pay the insane "exchange rate" these days. :lol:
  • Options
    $300

Go on, you know you want to... :twisted:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    The reality is that most vinyl is not mastered specifically for vinyl...as there is little need if done properly the first time.

These are great reads, if anyone is interested...
    http://productionadvice.co.uk/vinyl-mastering/
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much- ... vinyl.html

Clearly most albums from the last 20 years haven't had a vinyl specific master, but from personal experience I can tell you that they're not sounding as good as they can. I don't always check background info for releases I know I'm gonna buy and sometimes I even ignore it if it's something I'm lacking and in just about every case of really great sounding modern records there's a separate master. And in every case of bad or average sounding vinyl they take the lazy way out.

I don't put much stock in the article or the science behind it and those articles you posted may have a point, but I'd guess if a band isn't worried about a separate vinyl master, they're not concerned with putting a high res version onto vinyl.

PJ's catalog is a perfect example. Only Backspacer sounds bad and some of it sounds great, but all of their cd's sound great to begin with. I just can't imagine how much better their catalog would sound with a proper master, especially since they were recording to tape at least through Riot Act.

There's certain attributes that each format highlights and inherent drawbacks. What's warm with smooth top end on a record and sound muddy and harsh on a cd and what's well balanced with good separation on cd can sound crowded and dull on vinyl.
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Not really a question about must-have (or maybe it is), but I am just wondering if the EV - Ukulele Songs Vinyl is something to buy. $24.99 seems to be a really good price compared to what I see anywhere else on the Interwebs. Looks like anywhere from $60-90 other places.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    All posts, very good points. I have much to consider. So freaking happy to have some solid advice from collectors who've been doing it for awhile. I'm going to start this addictive endeavor pretty quick. Best start with a good turntable huh? Suggestions?
    Got the Rockit 8s for sound, you think that's good enough?
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    jonsey30 wrote:
    Not really a question about must-have (or maybe it is), but I am just wondering if the EV - Ukulele Songs Vinyl is something to buy. $24.99 seems to be a really good price compared to what I see anywhere else on the Interwebs. Looks like anywhere from $60-90 other places.

Mine came with a soft cover of the Uke book.
    Does the one for sale include this?
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    lando wrote:

that's cheap!!! cool!!!! when was that?

STAYSEA wrote:

All Ukulele songs vinyl come with the soongbook and ukulele chart... soft cover as you say...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    lando wrote:

that's cheap!!! cool!!!! when was that?

STAYSEA wrote:

All Ukulele songs vinyl come with the soongbook and ukulele chart... soft cover as you say...
    So you're saying this is a good buy from the shop? It does come with all the goodies that you mentioned, and MP3 version of the album with a digital copy of the song book.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL