Options

Vertigo head trips again.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
edited March 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
At this risk of sounding like a desperate old fool I want to ask if anyone who either has or hasn't read my previous queries about vertigo and who might have fresh ideas if you know of anything that relieves it and better yet, any thing that is a preventative. I'm just coming out from another day lost to the world spinning out of control. Over the years, I've lost too many days to this and it's bringing me down hard.

Thanks.

(Sorry- I can't even put a freakin' sentence together right now.)
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    I'm so sorry Bri, wish I had some advice for you. :( can the doc prescribe anything? Take care of yourself mate!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    carly316carly316 WI Posts: 332
    I'm sorry you're going through that! I suffered a major concussion in January and have had vertigo ever since so I can definitely sympathize. They put me on Meclazine and it helped but it made me sleep constantly because it's an antihistamine. They said Benadryl would work too but that would have the same sleepy affect. I'm starting balance/vestibular therapy next week. My doctor swears by it. I live in a town of 100k and we only have 1 place that does this so it doesn't seem easy to come by. That's about all I can offer for now. I'll give you a heads-up if I find something that works for me so maybe you can try it too. Good luck.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Sorry to hear Brian, I hope it gets better. That sounds scary.

a bump for ya..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Oh Brian, you have my sympathies. I experienced a terrible bout of it about a year and a half ago and now it comes back from time to time. So hard to describe to other people. I don't know of any new remedies, nothing much has worked for me either, but I'll send some good vibes your way.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Thanks good friends. Your good vibes help a lot. I'm better today but still fuzzy headed. I just have to figure some days are goners and appreciate the good ones.

Thanks again all for kind thoughts.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I had it for two years straight... Misdiagnosed a ton so I pretty much know everything about it. Most likely to do with your inner ear. Have you been to an ENT Dr, yet?

I know a lot... PM me if you want

Ad

P.S. Yes I have had a lot of medical issues if you are thinking it :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I still continue to have it since my brain surgery 2 years ago. Some days are a lot worse than others but I do appreciate the good ones that I have.

Have they checked into your inner ear? They say that is where a lot of it stems from. If you need to talk or have more questions...just pm me. I've had my fair share of medical issues
  • Options
    I still continue to have it since my brain surgery 2 years ago. Some days are a lot worse than others but I do appreciate the good ones that I have.

Have they checked into your inner ear? They say that is where a lot of it stems from. If you need to talk or have more questions...just pm me. I've had my fair share of medical issues
    Jinx
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

Jinx
    Drinks in July?
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    This article speaks to natural remedies and diet lifestyle changes. Also being aware of
    movements/ activities that could bring on an attack.

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/he ... edies.html

the article says 40% of people in the US suffer from it.
    Hope you find something new here that helps Brian.
  • Options

Jinx
    Drinks in July?
    Not going ... Fall?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Jinx
    Drinks in July?
    Not going ... Fall?

Definitely!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Black Diamond, of.the.girl., thanks for responding. One of the possible causes I'm told is possibly Menier's disease neither but both of the neurologists, my ENT nor my regular Doc have diagnosed it as such. None of the above seem to be able to pinpoint the problem which is a major source of frustration for me. It's hard to fix what can't be diagnosed. It's like taking your car into the shop and say, "It makes a funny noise". :lol:

Two days before this last vertigo episode I awoke up in the middle of the night hearing and feeling a loud, deep explosion. My wife said, "Don't worry it was a dream" but I really did hear and feel something very concussive like a loud booming explosion in my ears and head and it made my whole body react much the way I've read descriptions of soldiers being thrown by the concussion of a bomb. Yeah, weird, huh?

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Black Diamond, of.the.girl., thanks for responding. One of the possible causes I'm told is possibly Menier's disease neither but both of the neurologists, my ENT nor my regular Doc have diagnosed it as such. None of the above seem to be able to pinpoint the problem which is a major source of frustration for me. It's hard to fix what can't be diagnosed. It's like taking your car into the shop and say, "It makes a funny noise". :lol:

Two days before this last vertigo episode I awoke up in the middle of the night hearing and feeling a loud, deep explosion. My wife said, "Don't worry it was a dream" but I really did hear and feel something very concussive like a loud booming explosion in my ears and head and it made my whole body react much the way I've read descriptions of soldiers being thrown by the concussion of a bomb. Yeah, weird, huh?
    Which tests did your ENT use to rule out Manier's... BTW Manier's is now a catch all for inner ear issues ... there are a lot more things it could be...
    I got a false negative on the ear test at the beginning and wound up off the charts positive at the end...

I had something called a paralymph fistular and required an hour surgery which fixed it... after two years.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Which tests did your ENT use to rule out Manier's... BTW Manier's is now a catch all for inner ear issues ... there are a lot more things it could be...
    I got a false negative on the ear test at the beginning and wound up off the charts positive at the end...

I had something called a paralymph fistular and required an hour surgery which fixed it... after two years.

Oh gosh- all kinds. Hearing test, MRI, EEG and another test that traces neural patterns between ears and brain. That test showe d that I have a disrupted neural pathway between my right ear and my brain.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Oh gosh- all kinds. Hearing test, MRI, EEG and another test that traces neural patterns between ears and brain. That test showe d that I have a disrupted neural pathway between my right ear and my brain.
    Did they do the test where they put cold/warm water in your ear ... or spinning chair tests?
    If not you need to keep exploiring what causing the block...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    ... or spinning chair tests?

No, no...you are thinking of the carnival.

tumblr_m3daotu9NJ1ro3v0oo1_500.jpg
  • Options

Its close :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

Its close :lol:

I missed that one. Looks like fun. :lol:

• Options
    After quite a long stretch of time have not vertigo incidents. Last night I had a doozy. It started around 11 PM with the room spinning. I took two Bonine- each has 25 MG Meclizine which is twice what I have taken normally but I could this was going to be a bad one. The Meclizine did nothing this time. I spent the entire night feeling like death, lying for hours in a very awkward position that somewhat minimized the spins, and finally the drowsy effect of the pills and being up helped me crash until 3:45 PM this afternoon. I awoke with a tremendous headache and heavy grogginess. Am still feeling like death warmed over. A major health-related disappointment.

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    This could be the name of your next band. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    RS151862 said:
    This could be the name of your next band. 

Haha!  It would be oddly fitting. 
    What a week- Late Monday-Tuesday, horrific vertigo.  Late Tuesday through Thursday morning, migraine.  But finally starting to fell level again... for a while, I hope!

• Options
    Could you be deficient in something  brian. Im no medic .  My partner takes triptans when it starts .
    Ive been messing around  with my diet for 2 months . No bread  
     Sugar. Pasta. Etc.  Its made me angry haha 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Could you be deficient in something  brian. Im no medic .  My partner takes triptans when it starts .

Possibly, Rob, though I don't know what it would be. 
    No sugar- good move and a tough one to give up!  I would be angry too, lol.
    I took Benadryl last night on the advice of someone who also gets vertigo and said it would help me sleep.  No vertigo this morning, but very little sleep as well.  In fact, I think Benadryl kept me awake.  Six hours and lying around with a few winks only.  Yawwwn, haha.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited November 2020
    brianlux said:

I took Benadryl last night on the advice of someone who also gets vertigo and said it would help me sleep.  No vertigo this morning, but very little sleep as well.  In fact, I think Benadryl kept me awake.  Six hours and lying around with a few winks only.  Yawwwn, haha.
    Brian, maybe have your potassium and magnesium levels checked. 

I went through this about 10 years ago, did the spinny test and light tests at the ENT, neurological assessment, bloodwork. Nothing.

It was very frustrating. 

Stress and anxiety were the main culprits in my case, but managing through those while also facing the debilitating physical symptoms of vertigo was no fucking fun. I kept hoping it was more physiologically based so that we could treat it quickly with medication. But no.

Anyway, it sounds like you've gone through the ENT (and maybe neurological)  stuff, so there's probably no need to repeat that torture. But bloodwork is easy enough to see if anything is deficient there. If so, treatment would be fairy simple. It's always worth a shot.

Hope you're doing better.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

I went through this about 10 years ago, did the spinny test and light tests at the ENT, neurological assessment, bloodwork. Nothing.

It was very frustrating. 

Stress and anxiety were the main culprits in my case, but managing through those while also facing the debilitating physical symptoms of vertigo was no fucking fun. I kept hoping it was more physiologically based so that we could treat it quickly with medication. But no.

Anyway, it sounds like you've gone through the ENT (and maybe neurological)  stuff, so there's probably no need to repeat that torture. But bloodwork is easy enough to see if anything is deficient there. If so, treatment would be fairy simple. It's always worth a shot.

Thanks for suggestions and good thoughts!  Yeah, have had blood work done almost yearly.  I take cal-mag, so not low on magnesium.  Probably OK on potassium but might be worth looking into.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

It was very frustrating. 

Thanks for suggestions and good thoughts!  Yeah, have had blood work done almost yearly.  I take cal-mag, so not low on magnesium.  Probably OK on potassium but might be worth looking into.
    My mother's potassium dropped to levels at which life-saving measures were needed. 

I never knew that potassium was so vital until that happened.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

It was very frustrating. 

My mother's potassium dropped to levels at which life-saving measures were needed. 

I never knew that potassium was so vital until that happened.

Wow!  That's scary.  We eat some foods high in potassium (especially broccoli, potatoes) but I should eat more spinach.  Bananas are high in potassium but also high in tyramine which is a migraine trigger, so I avoid them.

• Options
    Sodium? Some meds strip sodium. Magniesium and potassium are so vital.
    Odd one and fuckin awful and scary when vertigo strikes.  Lets hope you find equilibrium asap 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Sodium? Some meds strip sodium. Magniesium and potassium are so vital.
    Odd one and fuckin awful and scary when vertigo strikes.  Lets hope you find equilibrium asap 

Doing better today, thanks!

Sodium... salt... that's a tough balance to strike for me because too much salt is bad but I have orthostatic hypotension (aka, low blood pressure) so my doc tells me to eat more salt.  Go figure, lol.