Options

Premier Guitar interview w/ Mike: '59 Les Paul going on tour

pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
edited March 2013 in The Porch
Guitar nerd drool at that part but the interview also has stuff about Mad Season, working with Duff, new Pearl Jam, his gear, and other odds and ends. Can't wait to see the '59 Les Paul in Chicago :corn:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2013/Mar/Interview_Mike_McCready_on_Mad_Season_Reissue_and_New_Pearl_Jam.aspx
"Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I know Pearl Jam is currently working on the new album. What you can say about it right now?
    Well, we’re gearing up to finish the second part of the record that we started about two years ago. We all decided to pull back a little bit after we had done about seven songs, which I think are going to be on the next record. I’m not really sure. It all depends upon how this next session goes. I have a feeling that we’ll have something out this year. We are all very prolific in bringing in ideas and we’re all in conversation and are starting to rehearse in about a month. I feel like we’ll have something by this year. I don’t know that everyone in the band feels that way, but I’m going to do my damndest to move it along if I can have any kind of say in it. I would really like to get it out this year because we would really like to do some touring and things like that.

I’m curious to know, when you guys are recording and are all bringing in new material, do you personally write fully fleshed out songs in your off time, or do you bring in ideas and all kind of all collaborate together?
    It’s all of those things. Specifically for myself, I will demo ideas in my studio and try to make them as good as possible and if Matt [Cameron] isn’t around I will use a local drummer friend of mine to help me get an idea down. So I’ll bring fully realized demos to the equation and then it all kind of changes from there because everybody kind of goes, ‘Well why don’t you take out this part or put this in here or move this over here or do half of that?’ Stone [Gossard] and Jeff [Ament] are great editors so once you have your demo you bring it in and people scrutinize it and they either like it or they don’t. If they do then I just go, ‘Dude, if you have any ideas, just go for it.’ I also want to be able to add to people’s songs in the way that I do and I think I’m kind of the coloring on top of a lot of ideas and melodies at times. I feel like if Ed [Vedder] brings in a song, I want to be able to do a solo that’s cool for it. He may not have any ideas for what that is yet until I do it right there on the spot. Sometimes Jeff will bring in a couple of riffs and we’ll just jam on that. Matt will bring in parts of stuff. That being said, everyone brings in fully realized demos, too. It’s like everything; we have a lot of stuff. We don’t have any outside songwriters. [Laughs.]

Read more: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... z2MnXt6s4Q
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    but I’m going to do my damndest to move it along if I can have any kind of say in it

My favorite member of Pearl Jam now! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    ckravitz wrote:
    but I’m going to do my damndest to move it along if I can have any kind of say in it

What took u so long?!?
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

What took u so long?!?

8-)
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,221
    Very insightful article! Thanks for sharing! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I got to see Matt Cameron play with Soundgarden and he is a monster with them. He plays differently then he does with us so it was cool to see him from another point of view and kind of go, ‘Oh my God! Jesus Christ that is some of the best drumming I’ve seen in my life.’

I wish he would play more like that with Pearl Jam.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    Must be sad watching your drummer play with another band and being surprised that he plays better with them.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:

What took u so long?!?

+1, no offense ckravitz ;)
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,719
    pulling69 wrote:
    Guitar nerd drool at that part but the interview also has stuff about Mad Season, working with Duff, new Pearl Jam, his gear, and other odds and ends. Can't wait to see the '59 Les Paul in Chicago :corn:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2013/Mar/Interview_Mike_McCready_on_Mad_Season_Reissue_and_New_Pearl_Jam.aspx

Thanks! :)

This won't be in the store shelf mag will it?
    I don't see it posted over @ http://digital.premierguitar.com/premie ... /?fm=2#pg2
    Just a web exclusive.
  • Options

+1, no offense ckravitz ;)

It takes me awhile, but eventually I get there! :D
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,326
    pulling69 wrote:
    I have a feeling that we’ll have something out this year. We are all very prolific in bringing in ideas and we’re all in conversation and are starting to rehearse in about a month. I feel like we’ll have something by this year. I don’t know that everyone in the band feels that way, but I’m going to do my damndest to move it along if I can have any kind of say in it. I would really like to get it out this year because we would really like to do some touring and things like that.
    Git er done Mikey!!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    Sounds like somebody (here's looking at you Ed) doesn't sound too jazzed about Pearl Jam. So in the past few interviews we have had both Mike and Jeff kinda drop some hints that they would love to finish the record out. It's either Ed or Stone. My money is on Ed being the major holdup.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    Sounds like somebody (here's looking at you Ed) doesn't sound too jazzed about Pearl Jam. So in the past few interviews we have had both Mike and Jeff kinda drop some hints that they would love to finish the record out. It's either Ed or Stone. My money is on Ed being the major holdup.

Agreed, I'll speculate that EV is tired of PJ, the fans, and maybe even tired of the equal revenue split amongst the 5 band members. He can tour significantly leaner doing his solo show, and profit maybe 2X what a PJ tour arena tour would net for him personally. The only "PJ Shows" that are very profitable for Ed anymore are festivals. So unless there are a handful of festival dates to tour around, he might as well grab his uke and play some theaters. Not saying I blame him or anything, I'm just wildly speculating... exploring the business side of this band has intrigued me over the last few years.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    DP13 wrote:
    HailRoad24 wrote:

Agreed, I'll speculate that EV is tired of PJ, the fans, and maybe even tired of the equal revenue split amongst the 5 band members. He can tour significantly leaner doing his solo show, and profit maybe 2X what a PJ tour arena tour would net for him personally. The only "PJ Shows" that are very profitable for Ed anymore are festivals. So unless there are a handful of festival dates to tour around, he might as well grab his uke and play some theaters. Not saying I blame him or anything, I'm just wildly speculating... exploring the business side of this band has intrigued me over the last few years.

That's a little more cynical than what I was thinking. I've just been wondering that it may be some writers block on Ed's part. It seems to make the most sense with how long it's been taking and the references to how they've been bringing things to the table and recording. Ed seems to be the finisher of songs.
  • Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    Must be sad watching your drummer play with another band and being surprised that he plays better with them.

Yeah that would suck.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    DP13 wrote:
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    and maybe even tired of the equal revenue split amongst the 5 band members.

There is not an equal revenue split. Eddie has a larger share, or atleast did in the 90's.

If every member in PJ really cared about their band and the new album they would have finished the record at once, burning through like NY does when he's inspired (no matter the quality of NY work as of late). I don't buy the "taking time with it"-defense. Someone doesn't want to put down the time or effort, bet it's not Mike, Jeff or even Matt. Stone is rather doing his Brad-stuff or Eddie is rather going solo.

If Mike was in charge, we would have a new solid album every 2 years :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HailRoad24 wrote:

My first feeling was Stone. Mike said Ed had a bunch of songs written for PJ. Mike keeps saying 2013 for the new album but Stone said 2014. You are right Jeff and Mike are definitely pumped for PJ. Maybe its Matt? He is probably going to be burned out from Soundgarden, especially the way he beats the shit out of the drums for them. The only person more anxious then us is probably Boom. :lol:
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that. That is the best interview I've read with Mike in years . I am a real gear junkie and that article was full of great guitar info. I love the equiment listing at the end. Thanks again, great find.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting that. That is the best interview I've read with Mike in years . I am a real gear junkie and that article was full of great guitar info. I love the equiment listing at the end. Thanks again, great find.

Have you seen any of the Rig Rundown videos on youtube?
  • Options

Some are better than others, it really depends on the personality of the tech or the actual player breaking down the gear. They tweeted out yesterday that they will be doing Mike's at some point, hopefully at Wrigley is what they said :o
  • Options
    pulling69 wrote:

Some are better than others, it really depends on the personality of the tech or the actual player breaking down the gear. They tweeted out yesterday that they will be doing Mike's at some point, hopefully at Wrigley is what they said :o

That would be awesome! I liked the Soundgarden one.